Search

economy plus seats taken away by rep

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: spg-gold,marriott-gold,priority-platinum,united-1K
economy plus seats taken away by rep

Have you ever had this happen to you?
Called to verify my seats by phone only to encounter a rep who decides to change me against my will.
After being premier members for six years,using their most expensive credit card(375 a year),traveling with 2 disabled kids,booking 10 months in advance and literally 'babysitting' our reservation-Rep Lisa B of Chicago decided to take away our premier seating and told me 'Go and complain on Flyertalk if you want'.
Does Loyalty matter to United?
Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by lulubell
Have you ever had this happen to you?
Called to verify my seats by phone only to encounter a rep who decides to change me against my will.
After being premier members for six years,using their most expensive credit card(375 a year),traveling with 2 disabled kids,booking 10 months in advance and literally 'babysitting' our reservation-Rep Lisa B of Chicago decided to take away our premier seating and told me 'Go and complain on Flyertalk if you want'.
Does Loyalty matter to United?
do you qualify for e+ seating? (whether status, paid e+, CC, etc.)
Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:27 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by myperks
do you qualify for e+ seating? (whether status, paid e+, CC, etc.)

He said he was 2P, but not sure about the companion limit.

To the OP, The agent didn't sound that nice. If you truly belong in E+, I would call in again to get a different agent and ask for your seats back.

Besides, shouldn't disabled people get the bulkhead anyways? I know that's CO policy at least.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
He said he was 2P, but not sure about the companion limit.
The OP said "AFTER BEING PREMIER MEMBERS FOR 6 YEARS..." plus no status listed in profile...
Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:36 pm

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, IHG Plt, SPG Gld
Rep Lisa B of Chicago decided to take away our premier seating and told me 'Go and complain on Flyertalk if you want'.
Did she offer any rationale for why she was reassigning your seats?
Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by halfpny
Did she offer any rationale for why she was reassigning your seats?
+1

and why did you call to verify seat assignment? easy to check online and avoid unnecessary UA human interaction that may lead to what happened in this case...
Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:50 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by myperks
The OP said "AFTER BEING PREMIER MEMBERS FOR 6 YEARS..." plus no status listed in profile...

I take "after" to be, "I have been 2P for 6 years", and some people don't list status in their profile.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 12:06 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
I take "after" to be, "I have been 2P for 6 years", and some people don't list status in their profile.
Which has a different meaning thatn "I am currently 2P going on 6 years." The devil is in the details of what a person writes. Not to say the OP isn't currently a 2p, but nothing he wrote has any literal link to the fact that he is currently one.

This COULD be a case of DYKHIW (doyouknowwhoiwas.) But then again, it could be a case where someone just doesn't write all of the appropriate and necessary details, or proper sentance construction to convey a clear and pertinant statement. I know I am guilty of typos, but I make sure to clearly state the relevant points in my discussions.

My assumption is OP was 2p, booked last year (booked 10 months in advance,) didn't requalify for this year's benefits, didn't buy E+ access, didn't pay for e+ seats and wishes to leverage his past benefits against his current situation, for which he doesn't qualify. I could be wrong, but without him stating that he is currently entitled to the seats, I will assume only the facts that he has presented, and a legit, published right to E+ isn't something he has stated.

Last edited by fastair; Jul 24, 2011 at 12:12 am
Old Jul 24, 2011, 12:25 am
Original Poster

My husband and I have alternated being premiers( 25 k and 50k )since 1995.We always travel as a family of 2 adults and 2 kids.Moreover ,my kids are disabled one is epileptic and one is autistic- asthmatic (hence the neccesity to sit with us and preferably in the first half of the plane where air circulation is a bit better).We travel every other month and have bent over backwards to use United and its Star Alliance members over the years even when it meant paying a bit more or waiting longer in international transits.For this particular flight (part of a multi segmented international one and on United) we were assigned the right seating row 9,10 over 10 months ago.I monitored closely the seating each time they changed aircrafts and was in row 17 AB C D till 8 pm tonight. I called to verify that everything is the same when this lady says to me-"Oh you have no seats!" . I proceed to point out I do and I can actually see them on line in row 17 on a 777-200. To which she informs me she is putting us in row 31 and there is nothing I can do about it!??.Baffled I ask if row 31 is E+(I know it isn't) explain that my son is asthmatic and ask for my row 17 seats back.She replies I never had them (??),that she doesn't care and that I can post it on FT if I want since it's not going to change anything.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 12:26 am

Programs: UA 1K
Sometimes E+ seats are taken away by an automatic process, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...s-expires.html, if for example the frequent flyer status you used to reserve the seats has expired. If this is what happened (but with a human performing the "sweep" and telling you about it), if it's any consolation, this will at least give you a chance to make alternate arrangements to get the best possible seats on the aircraft. You might have otherwise missed it -- the automatic process which reassigns seats by checking FF status can be pretty subtle.

I'm sorry to hear that an agent left a bad impression with you.

Of course if you're supposed to be able to select E+ seats for your reservation (for example if you bought E+ access for the trip or the year, or you associated a traveler on the record with a UA frequent flyer number associated with Premier or higher frequent flyer status), and a phone rep took them away from you capriciously, that's really bad! If I remember right, the typical E+ allotment is one 2P + one companion, or one 1P + one companion -- I'll assume that you have at least two elite members on a record with four total travelers.

If you haven't paid for E+ & don't have a way to get it for free, could an agent have done that would've made a good impression? Even a polite "no" is still a "no", after all.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 12:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fastair
Which has a different meaning thatn "I am currently 2P going on 6 years." The devil is in the details of what a person writes. Not to say the OP isn't currently a 2p, but nothing he wrote has any literal link to the fact that he is currently one.

This COULD be a case of DYKHIW (doyouknowwhoiwas.) But then again, it could be a case where someone just doesn't write all of the appropriate and necessary details, or proper sentance construction to convey a clear and pertinant statement. I know I am guilty of typos, but I make sure to clearly state the relevant points in my discussions.

My assumption is OP was 2p, booked last year (booked 10 months in advance,) didn't requalify for this year's benefits, didn't buy E+ access, didn't pay for e+ seats and wishes to leverage his past benefits against his current situation, for which he doesn't qualify. I could be wrong, but without him stating that he is currently entitled to the seats, I will assume only the facts that he has presented, and a legit, published right to E+ isn't something he has stated.
Yes both my husband and I have both maintained our elite/premier status ONGOING for the last 6 years and have already completed the requred 25k for next year .

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 24, 2011 at 2:37 am Reason: merge
Old Jul 24, 2011, 12:30 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Just to clarify

You and your spouse are traveling together with your two kids? And each of the adults have status?

You believe you and your family is fully eligible for E+?

If yes to the above, just call and get another agent to fix the problem.

You previous UA history (other than present status) or the childerns' medical history play no factor in your access to E+.

Did you mention FT or did the agent mention it unprompted?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 24, 2011 at 12:35 am
Old Jul 24, 2011, 12:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Just to clarify

You and your spouse are traveling together with your two kids? And each of the adults have status?

You beleive you and your family is fully eligible for E+?

If yes to the above, just call and get another agent to fix the problem.

You previous UA history (other than present status) or the childerns medical history play no factor in your access to E+.

Yes we are both premiers for THIS YEAR and traveling with two disabled kids.I called since she took my seats away and now nothing is left but back of airplane scattered seats.So much for status and booking in advance

Last edited by lulubell; Jul 24, 2011 at 12:36 am Reason: error
Old Jul 24, 2011, 12:35 am

Programs: UA 1K
My husband and I have alternated being premiers( 25 k and 50k )since 1995.We always travel as a family of 2 adults and 2 kids.Moreover ,my kids are disabled one is epileptic and one is autistic- asthmatic (hence the neccesity to sit with us and preferably in the first half of the plane where air circulation is a bit better).We travel every other month and have bent over backwards to use United and its Star Alliance members over the years even when it meant paying a bit more or waiting longer in international transits.For this particular flight (part of a multi segmented international one and on United) we were assigned the right seating row 9,10 over 10 months ago.I monitored closely the seating each time they changed aircrafts and was in row 17 AB C D till 8 pm tonight. I called to verify that everything is the same when this lady says to me-"Oh you have no seats!" . I proceed to point out I do and I can actually see them on line in row 17 on a 777-200. To which she informs me she is putting us in row 31 and there is nothing I can do about it!??.Baffled I ask if row 31 is E+(I know it isn't) explain that my son is asthmatic and ask for my row 17 seats back.She replies I never had them (??),that she doesn't care and that I can post it on FT if I want since it's not going to change anything.
How bizarre!

This is just a wild shot in the dark, but -- does United's new-configuration 772 (http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni...-200_2_New.php) have a row 17?

Do you know which configuration the aircraft is scheduled to carry?

Any reason you're using the phone versus selecting seats online? The systems should be pretty much equivalent -- reservations agents can't do much more than you can do online. (Web Support can do a little more).

Your itinerary (accessed via your "record locator" or PNR) includes a detailed audit log of who made what changes to your reservation when; it should be trivial for Customer Relations to investigate bad changes made by a misinformed or malicious agent.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 12:37 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mherdeg
Any reason you're using the phone versus selecting seats online? ....
Multiple person (>2) PNRs E+ seating can not be done online by 1Ps/2Ps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.