One small 1k-sign at ORD

Old Jul 19, 11, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United-1K+1.97MM, Bonvoy-LifetimeGold, PriorityClub-Platin-Ambassador
One small 1k-sign at ORD

Today I've flown out of ORD and found just one small 1k-sign at the whole airport. No longer a difference between 1p and 2p and 1k's.
Old Jul 20, 11, 1:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by zappa42m View Post
Today I've flown out of ORD and found just one small 1k-sign at the whole airport. No longer a difference between 1p and 2p and 1k's.
I'm completely perplexed. What are you trying to say? Are you making an observation - that you apparently saw one "1K sign"? Are you asking a question - that because you only saw one such sign that there's "no longer a difference between 1P and 2P and 1Ks"? If so, what are you basing that on?

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; Jul 20, 11 at 5:59 am Reason: corrected my grammar
Old Jul 20, 11, 5:36 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, SPG Ambassador & Lifetime Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Prez, AVIS 1st, Amtrak Select
I think the point being made has to do with the carpet access and how so many now have that benefit, and that it is just another perceived manifestation of the devaluing of the 1K status that s/he only saw a single 1K sign at ORD.

or maybe not
Old Jul 20, 11, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Actually this could also be a reference to the new ticketing area design. There have been reports that aren't clear about the setup, but in the end for 1Ks, there seems to be a definite reduction in benefits, recognition and special access at ticketing/luggage drop/boarding areas. UA has really messed this up IMO and will be seeing a reduction in elite over the next two years, or a reversion to a UA style of elite handling.
Old Jul 20, 11, 7:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by GoingAway View Post
will be seeing a reduction in elite over the next two years, or a reversion to a UA style of elite handling.
The UA style is to recognize 1Ks as a level above. It's the CO style tht treats all elites exactly the same.
Old Jul 20, 11, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
The UA style is to recognize 1Ks as a level above. It's the CO style tht treats all elites exactly the same.
And it does appear from the ORD operation that it will also go the CO way.
Old Jul 20, 11, 8:18 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by flyinbob View Post
And it does appear from the ORD operation that it will also go the CO way.
Saw and experienced the same thing at SFO the other day, and boy was it disappointing.

Check-in was a clusterfudge of all elites, as in front of me were 1Ps, 2Ps and a couple of 1Ks. When I first walked up, I had nothing better to do, so I counted 45 people ahead of me in the line (give or take 6-7 people ), which snaked around past the GS/IFC line. It took me 50 minutes to check in...There was no differentiation between the elites.

Security was another 40 minutes, again another free-for-all for elites, except for the one line for GS/Intl F. Good thing I arrived plenty early...Gone are the days when I could arrive an hour or so before my flight. Luckily I did have about 8 minutes to spend in the RCC before boarding started.
Old Jul 20, 11, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
Aware of it, disagree with it, and will be a 1P because of it next year
Old Jul 20, 11, 8:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Does AA differentiate between different elite levels? This will be a deal breaker for me, if there's no distinction between someone who flies 25K and 200K a year I'm out. UA has way, way too many "elites" and we are all to have to use the same counter and forced to spend more time waiting in line I'll help the situation by moving my business. I can't be bothered to have to wait in line every week and spend more time than needed at the airport, this is just plain stupid.
Old Jul 20, 11, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ryan182 View Post
Does AA differentiate between different elite levels? This will be a deal breaker for me, if there's no distinction between someone who flies 25K and 200K a year I'm out. UA has way, way too many "elites" and we are all to have to use the same counter and forced to spend more time waiting in line I'll help the situation by moving my business. I can't be bothered to have to wait in line every week and spend more time than needed at the airport, this is just plain stupid.
AA I believe recognizes and treats top tiers very well

Exactly, UA had created a seamless stressless experience for their 1Ks that has been totally destroyed by the changes being made. No extra time I. The club, that mess of a gate area experience and now a swarm at check in. I just don't see any added value for business above 1P, and the value to get there is alliance not really UA related (although the extra rdm are good)
Old Jul 20, 11, 9:07 am

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
I was in SFO a few days ago. The check in counter had three areas with distinct signs:

1: Premier, Premier Exec, Silver, Gold, and Star Alliance Silver/Gold.
2: First Class, Business Class
3: GS / International First Class

Good thing I was upgraded and cold go in the first class line. Where should 1Ks go in such an instance?
Old Jul 20, 11, 9:21 am

Programs: UA General Member, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hertz 5-star Gold
I can only imagine that this will be changed so that 1K's have their own check in once enough displeasure is lodged with United. By the way, what was the situation before this change? That is, did 1K check in with First Class?
Old Jul 20, 11, 9:23 am

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
Originally Posted by hooterbif View Post
By the way, what was the situation before this change? That is, did 1K check in with First Class?
Correct. First and 1K were listed together.
Old Jul 20, 11, 10:21 am

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
Let me play devil's advocate for a second here.

While we know that the new FF program will be Mileage Plus, we do not know if the Mileage Plus "levels" of eliteness will be carried through as well.

Could it be possible that the new signage is only temporary, until the "levels" are established?

Just a thought.
Old Jul 20, 11, 10:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hooterbif View Post
I can only imagine that this will be changed so that 1K's have their own check in once enough displeasure is lodged with United. By the way, what was the situation before this change? That is, did 1K check in with First Class?
I'd go to the domestic F line regardless of whether or not my u/g had cleared as a 1K, if the alternative was to join a generic "Premier" queue.

At IAD, for example, the 1K line can be long in and of itself ... add to that 1P and 2P, and we're talking hour waits for check-in.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 20, 11 at 10:41 am Reason: response to deleted post

Search this Thread
Search Engine: