Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One small 1k-sign at ORD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2011, 10:42 am

Programs: United GS MM, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
I'm not sure what the complaint is really here. I fly out of ORD all the time. The new signage is not as clear/distinct as before and is considerably more generic. When I first saw it, I thought that they eliminated the 1K check-in area, but upon closer inspection, it is actually still there, in the same spot. They're just relying on a small sign by the entrance to the 1K check-in as opposed to in the past having huge signage above the desks for 1K and the small sign by the entrance.

I think they're just trying to brand/emphasize "premier access" and make the large signage cleaner or more streamlined. I think people may be jumping to conclusions here that UA/CO will ultimately take away separate 1K check-in and we'll have to check in with all of the "other elites". We don't know that yet.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: United-1K+2MM, Bonvoy-LifetimeGold,IHG-Diamond-Ambassador
Originally Posted by JLSocks
I'm not sure what the complaint is really here. I fly out of ORD all the time. The new signage is not as clear/distinct as before and is considerably more generic. When I first saw it, I thought that they eliminated the 1K check-in area, but upon closer inspection, it is actually still there, in the same spot. They're just relying on a small sign by the entrance to the 1K check-in as opposed to in the past having huge signage above the desks for 1K and the small sign by the entrance.

I think they're just trying to brand/emphasize "premier access" and make the large signage cleaner or more streamlined. I think people may be jumping to conclusions here that UA/CO will ultimately take away separate 1K check-in and we'll have to check in with all of the "other elites". We don't know that yet.
That's the sign I was talking about.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:34 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Saw the new signage at SFO at 8am in the morning last week. In the "elite" section, there were at least 50+ people waiting in line already, so even if there was a small 1K sign in a particular area, I wasn't going to be able to find it. The new UA MUST know that their hubs, especially SFO, are so elite-heavy that they need to differentiate between 2Ps and 1Ks.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:44 am

Programs: UA MM, QF Plat, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by JLSocks
However according to the statements from SFO, that seems to be in progress. If US is going to take this route it really diminishes 1k status having to wait in a longer line, including people with Agean *S status that flew 5k EQM.

This is not just a problem of combining lines, but also an issue of not enough people staffing premier desks at peak times. Delta does a far better job of handling Plats and Golds and if CO is going to take this "all elites are equally valuable" approach, I'll write a letter everytime I wait more than 5 minutes in line at a hub.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:03 pm

Location: Port St Lucie, FL, UA1K since 1994 and 3mm, Delta 1mm
Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bschaff1
However according to the statements from SFO, that seems to be in progress. If US is going to take this route it really diminishes 1k status having to wait in a longer line, including people with Agean *S status that flew 5k EQM.

This is not just a problem of combining lines, but also an issue of not enough people staffing premier desks at peak times. Delta does a far better job of handling Plats and Golds and if CO is going to take this "all elites are equally valuable" approach, I'll write a letter everytime I wait more than 5 minutes in line at a hub.
Now now.. I think you are a little pessimistic... The next thing you know the "New United" will allow anyone with a MP Visa Card to board early..

Oops sorry they will....
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Premier inflation is definitely out of hand.

1Ps are in the same category as anyone who coughs up $9 for "Premier Access" on an Express flight or anyone with the new Mileage Plus credit card.

I used to be a US Airways Chairman's back in 2001 and then took a break from flying for a while, but still had the US Airways Signature Visa. I had to fly in 2004 and remember thinking -- wow -- "Select" (the CC benefit) doesn't feel much different than top tier Chairman's!
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: United-1K+2MM, Bonvoy-LifetimeGold,IHG-Diamond-Ambassador
I send a mail to 1KVoice. See what happens.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Two weeks ago in PVG there was one line for 1P, 2P and *G. Another line for GS and F. Another line for C. There was no signage for 1K. None.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kwildnj
Let me play devil's advocate for a second here.

While we know that the new FF program will be Mileage Plus, we do not know if the Mileage Plus "levels" of eliteness will be carried through as well.

Could it be possible that the new signage is only temporary, until the "levels" are established?

Just a thought.
That is a good thought - however, they've spent a lot of time and resources re-branding everything to the breathtakingly named "Premier Access", I doubt they're going to turn around and re-do that initiative.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, MC Life Plat, HH Gold
I finally spotted the tiny 1K sign myself at ORD after reading another post. It looks like somebody's quick fix, rather than a new standard, especially since it leads into a rather long multi-purpose queuing area that is not otherwise differentiated from the rest of the Premier Access section. In fact, it was much faster for me that day to go in the non-1k direction.

Unfortunately that's only the beginning. Once you're checked in, you get to join the large masses of "elites" who are now being allowed into the so-called priority security lines.

In a way it's nice to see this mess rolling out now to other airports. I hadn't gotten much traction with my own grumbling about the changes at ORD, but with many more 1Ks exposed to this, I'm optimistic that United will get the message.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 9:37 am

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by joel67
I finally spotted the tiny 1K sign myself at ORD after reading another post. It looks like somebody's quick fix, rather than a new standard, especially since it leads into a rather long multi-purpose queuing area that is not otherwise differentiated from the rest of the Premier Access section. In fact, it was much faster for me that day to go in the non-1k direction.

Unfortunately that's only the beginning. Once you're checked in, you get to join the large masses of "elites" who are now being allowed into the so-called priority security lines.

In a way it's nice to see this mess rolling out now to other airports. I hadn't gotten much traction with my own grumbling about the changes at ORD, but with many more 1Ks exposed to this, I'm optimistic that United will get the message.
I have to say I noted this several weeks ago and was tempted to post but suspected I must have "missed" something since there wasn't already a post. I will say that one of the reasons I concentrate my business with one airline, is to be able to move through the airport process more expeditiously and receive enhanced experiences (i.e. discounted club access, upgrades, etc). If it all becomes diluted, there is little reason to push for 1K with the new United when there are other options in Chicago - it almost seems that if I'm going to wait in line, I may as well expand my options by dividing my flights and money between United and American instead of sticking just to United.

In the past, 1K had enhanced access to check-in (although the line to security has always been pretty hit or miss); hopefully its not a further downgrade in rewards as it appears many of these "perks" may be clogged by anyone willing to sell out $99 for the Explorer card instead of giving United our loyalty of over 100,000 miles flown.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
At LAX, the LED signs above the each check-in counter used to say Global Services, 1K, and Premier Exec, in addition to the roped lines set up specifically for each group. Around the same time when the boarding by row process went into effect, these LED signs no longer say 1K, but simply show Premiere Access. While the old cardboard First Class/Business Class/1K signs at the start of the lane was still there, basically all the elites line up in the same lane with exception of GS.

For my few domestic flights each year, I don't bother using the check-in counter. But for he international flights (90% of my travel), I have to get in line to show the passport to get my boarding pass. This wait is really a pain, especially since LAX check-in counter is perpetually understaffed to begin with.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 10:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Just another way to devalue something that once meant something.

now that I'm on the cusp of requalifying.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 10:41 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA PLT
Originally Posted by LA_Traveler
At LAX, the LED signs above the each check-in counter used to say Global Services, 1K, and Premier Exec, in addition to the roped lines set up specifically for each group. Around the same time when the boarding by row process went into effect, these LED signs no longer say 1K, but simply show Premiere Access. While the old cardboard First Class/Business Class/1K signs at the start of the lane was still there, basically all the elites line up in the same lane with exception of GS.

For my few domestic flights each year, I don't bother using the check-in counter. But for he international flights (90% of my travel), I have to get in line to show the passport to get my boarding pass. This wait is really a pain, especially since LAX check-in counter is perpetually understaffed to begin with.
This is a huge devaluation. I bought a ticket for my niece and was offered "Premier Access" for a whopping $16.00. So, a non status customer can line up with the 1K's for $16.00. Nice.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 10:55 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, MC Life Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by LA_Traveler
But for he international flights (90% of my travel), I have to get in line to show the passport to get my boarding pass. This wait is really a pain, especially since LAX check-in counter is perpetually understaffed to begin with.
Out of curiosity, do you hold a foreign passport? One change I was happy to see several years ago was the ability to enter passport info online or at a check-in machine so that you could avoid the checking in at the counter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.