Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:15 pm

Singapore-Silk Air Stupid Question

If I book:

Singapore Airlines Operated by Silkair
Flight 5372
(SIN-HYD)

Given this:

If you purchase a ticket on a flight that is marketed by Singapore Airlines but operated by another airline (known as a codeshare flight), the operating airline determines how many miles you earn for your flight.

And knowing that Silk Air itself isn't a partner or Star Alliance...

Would I still be able to earn Mileage Plus miles?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by jjardin
If I book:

Singapore Airlines Operated by Silkair
Flight 5372
(SIN-HYD)

Given this:

If you purchase a ticket on a flight that is marketed by Singapore Airlines but operated by another airline (known as a codeshare flight), the operating airline determines how many miles you earn for your flight.

And knowing that Silk Air itself isn't a partner or Star Alliance...

Would I still be able to earn Mileage Plus miles?
No. The underlying carrier has to be part of the Alliance.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 1:50 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Do other airline FF members earn miles when flying United Express?

I am still of the opinion that the Silk Air arrangement, and by the way, much of SQ's "posture" towards *A benefits is to minimize the benefits where possible.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TA
Do other airline FF members earn miles when flying United Express?...
United Express is a contract operator. They don't sell tickets except through UA. All United Express tickets carry UA code (016) and UA flight number. They are not considered as codeshares.

MI (Silk Air) is operated independently with IATA code 629. SQ uses 618. MI sells its own tickets with some flights codeshared with SQ. BTW, MI was formed in 1976 as Tradewind Charters which changed its name to Silk Air in 1992. SQ joined Star in 2000. Someone must have been planning long long term if MI was formed to minimize benefits for Star partners.

Last edited by TerryK; Sep 20, 2012 at 9:03 pm
Old Sep 20, 2012, 9:08 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
I fly Silk Air a few times a year & SQ always tells me no credit on UA. I usually connect from an SQ flight in an SQ ticket that has my MP & PPS numbers in the record. My SQ flight gets credited to both MP & PPS but Silk Air only gets PPS credit

Originally Posted by TA
I still think it's deceptive. Read the top of this page:

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,,1193,00.html

"Singapore Airlines is the international airline of Singapore. Together with regional airline partner SilkAir, Singapore’s network includes 100 destinations in 40 countries, serving Asia, Europe, North America, Australia, the Middle East, the South Pacific and Africa."

Would you not expect earning on SilkAir, given this advertisement?

If this is valid, UA and others should think about eliminating *A miles earned on UX, etc... (If it wouldn't kill them with passenger uproar...)
DOT complaint? Law suit? I'm in

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 20, 2012 at 9:21 pm Reason: merge
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:19 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by TerryK
...BTW, MI was formed in 1976 as Tradewind Charters which changed its name to Silk Air in 1992. SQ joined Star in 2000. Someone must have been planning long long term if MI was formed to minimize benefits for Star partners.
Certainly they were not formed in order to do this -- but it nicely provides the *advantage* now to SQ of allowing the SQ Group to *choose* not to provide benefits on a portion of its route network.

Actually, I credit SQ for being so deliberate and segmented in what they offer alliance partners (I have commented against people's entitlement to get in to the SQ lounges). But nonetheless I observe that their operational goal is to reduce benefits to others wherever possible.

Last edited by TA; Sep 23, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.