Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

The United Airlines treatment from hell. What to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2011, 5:32 am
Original Poster

Hi folks.

Dont know if this is the correct forum for this kind of material, but I seriously need some help here.

Its gonna take some storytelling for you to get the whole picture of the situation I found myself in on the 7th of July this year, so please bear with me, cause I need some serious answers.

In january, I booked a trip for me and wy wife to the USA, flying with UAL and Air Canada on the same ticket purchased via Widerře (www.wideroe.no).
I bought red carpet club access and as it was my wifes first trip to the Usa, she was very excited.

Our flight from LHR to IAD on the 24th of June went without any hassle, and UAL was just good. On the 7th of July, however, things where gonna get very difficult. As we prepared ourselfs to go back home to Norway, we came in early, more than 3 hours before our first flight which was to YYZ, connecting onwards to LHR.

The first attendant at UAL was very kind with us and quickly started to check us in. She asked me if I wanted economy plus seats, and stupid me said yes. Shortly after swiping my card, a "problem" occured. She was unable to check us in for the flight, and for no good reason at all.

She had to call on the supervisor, he came up to help, but had no idea what to do. Apparently, when they tried to check us in, all the computer screen would say was "System error", is what they told me.

We where then sendt over to the ticket counter, where a new lady took over. She was seriously struggling. Apparantly, the e-ticket numbers had switched between me and my wife. She continued to struggle with it, and was even doubting me when I answered her questions about our trip from LHR to IAD. She was in doubt if we really did travel with UAL from LHR to IAD, even when the ticket stated so. About an hour and a half went by, before she finally told me that I had to contact Wideroe on my own. She could not help me with that.

I was full of adrenalin, and was starting to get very nervous as I ran across the check-in area to find both internet and a phone. I did not have the phone number to Widerře. Finally, the friendly folks at the information counter downstairs where able to lend me both internet and a phone. I called Wideroe. (The time difference between Virginia and Norway is 6 hours and it was getting late over there, they would be closing in not too long).

The folks over at Widerře was, to say the least, very very confused. On their system, everything was just fine with our ticket. I told them that United had serious difficulties in using it, and that they needed someone to push the ticket to them. I hung up, ran upstairs, tried again, failed for the gazilionth time to check in, ran down, called Widerře again, still no luck. They where however, able to check my wife in only to YYZ..??

I went back up, this time with a guy working on the information desk coming with me to help. He had never heard of anyone with a valid ticket not being able to check in, so he wanted to see what the problem was all about.
Standing at the check-in counter again, it was now about 50 minutes until our flight to YYZ was due to leave. Widerře called me on my cell, I handed it over to the UAL agent, and boy did they argue. They even doubted the seriousness of Widerře (A star alliance member, owned by SK, whom sell thousands of tickets all over the world each year).

At about 3:10 PM she was still struggling to check us in, our flight was due to leave at 3:48 PM. My poor wife, whos now 10 weeks pregnant, was in tears. She was terrified that we where gonna be stuck there. Finally our bags where checked in all the way to LHR(!) but we only got a ticket to YYZ, being told that Air Canada would most likely deny us boarding AC848 to LHR.

We ran like idiots. My wife almost passed out when we finally made it to the gate. I had to carry both carry-ons while running, as I was trying to help her as well. Boarding was well underway, and as we handed the agent our boarding passes, he told us we where on stand-by

WHAT!!! How the HELL could you possibly put us, two paying customers on STAND-BY??? I was furious. The fumes where coming out of my nose, escpesially because I was now an angry ox protecting my wife. He was silent, but issued us new seats very quickly. As we boarded I realized that they had taken the economy plus-seats from us.. And I PAYED for them...

On our flight to YYZ we where expecting to stay overnight, cause AC would probably never let us go with them, if we where to believe UAL.

We approached the Air Canada check-in counter with little or no hope of getting home that day. The attendant smiled at us, used a minute to print out our boarding passes for the AC848 flight, and said "Have a nice trip"..

My confusion was complete...

So all in all UAL stole about 100 dollars from us, almost denied us boarding, and gave my wife the treatment of a lifetime. I love to travel, but my wife`s been hard to convince of the joys of traveling. You can only imagine the GREAT impression she got in this situation.. Im lucky if I ever get her to go trans-atlantic again..

On July 8th, I wrote a complaint to UAL. They still havent answered.. I wrote them a new one today.. still, no answer..

Im so angry Im almost having a heart attack.. its like they dont give a ...., and I feel so helpless. I was humiliated, treated like garbage, and now they wount even reply me.. What the Hell is the matter with them?
Old Jul 18, 2011, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by gyngve
Hi folks.

Dont know if this is the correct forum for this kind of material, but I seriously need some help here.

Its gonna take some storytelling for you to get the whole picture of the situation I found myself in on the 7th of July this year, so please bear with me, cause I need some serious answers.

In january, I booked a trip for me and wy wife to the USA, flying with UAL and Air Canada on the same ticket purchased via Widerře (www.wideroe.no).
I bought red carpet club access and as it was my wifes first trip to the Usa, she was very excited.

Our flight from LHR to IAD on the 24th of June went without any hassle, and UAL was just good. On the 7th of July, however, things where gonna get very difficult. As we prepared ourselfs to go back home to Norway, we came in early, more than 3 hours before our first flight which was to YYZ, connecting onwards to LHR.

The first attendant at UAL was very kind with us and quickly started to check us in. She asked me if I wanted economy plus seats, and stupid me said yes. Shortly after swiping my card, a "problem" occured. She was unable to check us in for the flight, and for no good reason at all.

She had to call on the supervisor, he came up to help, but had no idea what to do. Apparently, when they tried to check us in, all the computer screen would say was "System error", is what they told me.

We where then sendt over to the ticket counter, where a new lady took over. She was seriously struggling. Apparantly, the e-ticket numbers had switched between me and my wife. She continued to struggle with it, and was even doubting me when I answered her questions about our trip from LHR to IAD. She was in doubt if we really did travel with UAL from LHR to IAD, even when the ticket stated so. About an hour and a half went by, before she finally told me that I had to contact Wideroe on my own. She could not help me with that.

I was full of adrenalin, and was starting to get very nervous as I ran across the check-in area to find both internet and a phone. I did not have the phone number to Widerře. Finally, the friendly folks at the information counter downstairs where able to lend me both internet and a phone. I called Wideroe. (The time difference between Virginia and Norway is 6 hours and it was getting late over there, they would be closing in not too long).

The folks over at Widerře was, to say the least, very very confused. On their system, everything was just fine with our ticket. I told them that United had serious difficulties in using it, and that they needed someone to push the ticket to them. I hung up, ran upstairs, tried again, failed for the gazilionth time to check in, ran down, called Widerře again, still no luck. They where however, able to check my wife in only to YYZ..??

I went back up, this time with a guy working on the information desk coming with me to help. He had never heard of anyone with a valid ticket not being able to check in, so he wanted to see what the problem was all about.
Standing at the check-in counter again, it was now about 50 minutes until our flight to YYZ was due to leave. Widerře called me on my cell, I handed it over to the UAL agent, and boy did they argue. They even doubted the seriousness of Widerře (A star alliance member, owned by SK, whom sell thousands of tickets all over the world each year).

At about 3:10 PM she was still struggling to check us in, our flight was due to leave at 3:48 PM. My poor wife, whos now 10 weeks pregnant, was in tears. She was terrified that we where gonna be stuck there. Finally our bags where checked in all the way to LHR(!) but we only got a ticket to YYZ, being told that Air Canada would most likely deny us boarding AC848 to LHR.

We ran like idiots. My wife almost passed out when we finally made it to the gate. I had to carry both carry-ons while running, as I was trying to help her as well. Boarding was well underway, and as we handed the agent our boarding passes, he told us we where on stand-by

WHAT!!! How the HELL could you possibly put us, two paying customers on STAND-BY??? I was furious. The fumes where coming out of my nose, escpesially because I was now an angry ox protecting my wife. He was silent, but issued us new seats very quickly. As we boarded I realized that they had taken the economy plus-seats from us.. And I PAYED for them...

On our flight to YYZ we where expecting to stay overnight, cause AC would probably never let us go with them, if we where to believe UAL.

We approached the Air Canada check-in counter with little or no hope of getting home that day. The attendant smiled at us, used a minute to print out our boarding passes for the AC848 flight, and said "Have a nice trip"..

My confusion was complete...

So all in all UAL stole about 100 dollars from us, almost denied us boarding, and gave my wife the treatment of a lifetime. I love to travel, but my wife`s been hard to convince of the joys of traveling. You can only imagine the GREAT impression she got in this situation.. Im lucky if I ever get her to go trans-atlantic again..

On July 8th, I wrote a complaint to UAL. They still havent answered.. I wrote them a new one today.. still, no answer..

Im so angry Im almost having a heart attack.. its like they dont give a ...., and I feel so helpless. I was humiliated, treated like garbage, and now they wount even reply me.. What the Hell is the matter with them?
Calm down.

There's a story there, and you probably were mistreated, but it's buried beneath your hyperbole.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nba1017
Calm down.

There's a story there, and you probably were mistreated, but it's buried beneath your hyperbole.

So, I should just shut up, is that your suggestion? If you found your self in this situation, you would not even bother the least?
And what is a hyperbole?

Thanks for the friendly reply...
Old Jul 18, 2011, 6:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Welcome to FT, and please calm down!

I can understand that you are angry, but as a traveller you know that sometimes problems happen. Your story is very long, and I suggest that you can cut it short and to the point so people can help you.

It sounds to me like the summary of your situation is:

1. You tried to check in for your IAD-YYZ flight and that a ticket/computer/system error (real or perceived) prevented you/your wife from being issued boarding passes.

2. By communicating with your travel provider in Norway, UA was eventually able to get you on the IAD-YYZ flight but doubted whether AC would transport you.

3. You paid for E+ seats but did not get these, indeed you were on standly.

4. On arrival in YYZ you successfully boarded AC848 to LHR.

So you clearly have a valid point. I suggest your letter to UA should be to the point, and deal with each of the issues in turn.

Issue 1: Supply UA with your reservation details, including your ticket numbers (xxx-xxxxxxxxxx), your PNR (YYYYYY), and your flights. Explain that you were not able to check in and that the agent and your travel company disagreed about the nature of the problem.

Issue 2: Include the E+ receipt for $100 (at the very least your credit card statement) and the boarding passes which will show that you did not sit in E+.

Good luck!
Old Jul 18, 2011, 6:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
So, I should just shut up, is that your suggestion? If you found your self in this situation, you would not even bother the least?
And what is a hyperbole?

Thanks for the friendly reply...
He is suggesting that you stick to relevant details, otherwise we get confused with all the anger coming from the keyboard.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 6:24 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Please continue to follow this thread as it is moved to the United Airlines forum. Thanks for your understanding.

Jouy31
TravelBuzz moderator
Old Jul 18, 2011, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Calm down.

The above comments notwithstanding, those of us who have millions of miles dealing with UA, both old and the more recent combo company, understand your position quite well, and how easily they can stir the anger within.

However, if you do want a resolution to this from UA, you will need to write to WHQ and explain, and while your post is descriptive, you will need to edit out the personal stuff, like how you love to fly and such. Keep it short, direct, and on point. State what happened that was unacceptable and why. The bottom line is you not only paid for service but expected it, and United failed in too many respects to be acceptable. Perhaps mention that some mechanical failure in this world is perhaps understandable, there should be no excuse for customer relations failure, and when things are going wrong is exactly when customers expect United to step up and perform, and how their people failed you.

Good luck.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Yuck, what an unfortunate situation.

That said.... It actually sounds like UA was really trying to be helpful for the most part. For whatever reason, theirs hands were tied. No, they should not have doubted that you flew them on the outbound. But it does appear that they tried over and over rather than quickly giving up.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Welcome to FT, and please calm down!

I can understand that you are angry, but as a traveller you know that sometimes problems happen. Your story is very long, and I suggest that you can cut it short and to the point so people can help you.

It sounds to me like the summary of your situation is:

1. You tried to check in for your IAD-YYZ flight and that a ticket/computer/system error (real or perceived) prevented you/your wife from being issued boarding passes.

2. By communicating with your travel provider in Norway, UA was eventually able to get you on the IAD-YYZ flight but doubted whether AC would transport you.

3. You paid for E+ seats but did not get these, indeed you were on standly.

4. On arrival in YYZ you successfully boarded AC848 to LHR.

So you clearly have a valid point. I suggest your letter to UA should be to the point, and deal with each of the issues in turn.

Issue 1: Supply UA with your reservation details, including your ticket numbers (xxx-xxxxxxxxxx), your PNR (YYYYYY), and your flights. Explain that you were not able to check in and that the agent and your travel company disagreed about the nature of the problem.

Issue 2: Include the E+ receipt for $100 (at the very least your credit card statement) and the boarding passes which will show that you did not sit in E+.

Good luck!
Dont worry, I really am calm. Its just the keyboard showing more anger than my appaerance, and it kinda came back to me all at once as I was writing this.

Youre suggestions are good, I will try, but its not easy when I dont reside in the USA. I hope theyll reply.

Believe, Ive been in crappy situations before, tech issues and what not. Im very used to that, its just that Ive never been in a situation where I have a valid ticket, but Im denied to fly. And yes, the UA folks where very helpful, its the Airline and its system that im mad at.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 8:16 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
You can request refund for the E+ fees if the seating was not fulfilled. This can be done through UA's website, under refund.

At the same time, concurring with everyone else had suggested - when writing the complaint letter, stick to the facts.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 9:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by flyinbob
The above comments notwithstanding, those of us who have millions of miles dealing with UA, both old and the more recent combo company, understand your position quite well, and how easily they can stir the anger within.

However, if you do want a resolution to this from UA, you will need to write to WHQ and explain, and while your post is descriptive, you will need to edit out the personal stuff, like how you love to fly and such. Keep it short, direct, and on point. State what happened that was unacceptable and why. The bottom line is you not only paid for service but expected it, and United failed in too many respects to be acceptable. Perhaps mention that some mechanical failure in this world is perhaps understandable, there should be no excuse for customer relations failure, and when things are going wrong is exactly when customers expect United to step up and perform, and how their people failed you.

Good luck.
^^ Several years ago we encountered the "invalid ticket" scenario when I purchased tickets through a third party web site. When we got home, I wrote United a letter and explained the situation. They responded promptly with an apology and compensation, and I suspect the same will happen in your case.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM
I for one appreciate all the details and "hyperbole". If you can't share getting shfted by Untied on a United forum where can you? I very juch sympathize with your predicament asnd it must have been terrible. Those employees "may have been trying to help" but they were hardly sensitive to the needs of a customer in causing you the sdtress they did.

But there are always people on this board who fault every OP no matter what happened. Little do they know that kids are on their lawn at this very moment!

Finally, post #10 is very solid. Go with a few bullet points and a basic explanation of this train wreck and you should get resolution. [I love it when the UA person is arguing with the Norwegian agent on the cell phone or when the UA people tell you that you *will* be screwed by AC. And not realizing they had charged you for E+ seats and not providing same? Pure shoddy performance.]
Old Jul 18, 2011, 10:44 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
The fumes where coming out of my nose, escpesially because I was now an angry ox protecting my wife.
I too, appreciated the hyperbole...esp for this vivid image!c
Old Jul 18, 2011, 11:06 am

I would also ask for reimbursement for club access as well being that you paid for it and were unable to utilize it on the trip back.

If you charged the economy plus seating with a credit card put in a claim with the credit card company as well.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 11:54 am

Calm down.

What a thing to say! The writer is legitimately upset at UAL's poor treatment and you're calling it hyperbole? Hyperbole would be if he had said he almost climbed over the desk and looked himself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.