UA:747 (E+) vs LH:A380 (Y) Award Tickets

Old Jul 13, 11, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
UA:747 (E+) vs LH:A380 (Y) Award Tickets

I suddenly have to take SFO-FRA flight next week.
I checked award tickets, and it looks UA900(B747) and LH455(A380) are available in Y.
I can get E+ seat on UA flight, but I'm not sure about LH A380. Does LH have better seats in Y on A380? I checked Seat Guru, but it looks A380 has only 6 good Y seats if it's correct. The only thing is I have never taken A380 before, but I don't know if it's worth to take the flight in Y...

Should I take UA or LH???
Old Jul 13, 11, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by MrJBoy View Post
I suddenly have to take SFO-FRA flight next week.
I checked award tickets, and it looks UA900(B747) and LH455(A380) are available in Y.
I can get E+ seat on UA flight, but I'm not sure about LH A380. Does LH have better seats in Y on A380? I checked Seat Guru, but it looks A380 has only 6 good Y seats if it's correct. The only thing is I have never taken A380 before, but I don't know if it's worth to take the flight in Y...

Should I take UA or LH???
I'd go A380 just for the experience!
The coach seats look like a nice new modern design
Old Jul 13, 11, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
My wife and I have only flown once on the A380 (SQ, SIN-MEL) and had a great experience in Y!

I'd take LH for sure, and having free alcohol on board is definitely a nice bit for a LONG flight to europe, including an overnight!

-jeremy
Old Jul 13, 11, 2:35 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH diamond
Take the LH flight. I regularly run this route and LH offers a far superior product IME, especially in Y.
Old Jul 13, 11, 2:37 pm

Programs: LH LT SEN, Bonvoy Titanium (former SPG Plat) + LTP
I do NOT recommend LH 380 in Y unless you can book one of the six exit-row seats (you must be a LH-Senator to do so!)! The other seats seem very cramped and being a LH-Senator I would recommend US 747 instead!
Old Jul 13, 11, 2:39 pm

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
I also vote for LH for the experience as well
Old Jul 13, 11, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I would go with LH. I have never flown the UA 747 but have flown the LH 380 in Y. It isn't as nice as EK Y on the A380, but it is decent. I would do it for the IFE alone. To my knowledge 747 are mainscreen entertainment and the A380 is in seat. Also the A380 has more selection than other LH aircraft for IFE.

I also prefer the food selection on LH better than UA, but that is a personal preference. So LH it is.
Old Jul 13, 11, 2:48 pm

I flew SQ SYD-SIN in Y and it was a pleasant experience. The soft and hard product made for an enjoyable flight. I think upstairs offers a better atmosphere, but that's not an option on LH. I didn't sit in the exit row, but I made it work. Even though I wouldn't call it spacious, I would do it again.
Old Jul 13, 11, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, OZ Diamond
LH, new seats which are MUCH better, and I *think* you can get Internet even.
Old Jul 13, 11, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
I have experienced both a number of times...as others have indicated, go with the LH 380 for the experience (new and different!!) but if comfort is your priority, E+ is your answer!
Old Jul 13, 11, 3:57 pm

Programs: QR platinum
IMHO it is a matter of preferences: LH has marginally better food and free booze, but if you are tall and need as much legroom as possible, then UA Y+ is much better.

I go out of my way to avoid LH Y because it is torture for my knees, and constantly carry a paper SWU in case I get rerouted on LH during IRROPS.
Old Jul 14, 11, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Thank you guys!
I picked the LH A380 for the new and different experience ^
Old Jul 14, 11, 3:44 pm

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by dinoscool3 View Post
No wifi yet on any of the LH A380s. There are only a very few number, a handful maybe, of LH long haul aircraft, but none are A380.
Old Jul 14, 11, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by SFOTurtle View Post
No wifi yet on any of the LH A380s. There are only a very few number, a handful maybe, of LH long haul aircraft, but none are A380.
But isn't there Ethernet? I thought I saw it on the new seats on a Privat Air flight, which are the same seats on the A380.
Old Jul 14, 11, 8:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

New seats are much better than the old LH Y seats but at the end of the day it is still Y.

Originally Posted by CASAFlyer View Post
IMHO it is a matter of preferences: LH has marginally better food and free booze, but if you are tall and need as much legroom as possible, then UA Y+ is much better.
This is basically it. The LH seats also have AVOD and USB for power that UA doesn't.

But isn't there Ethernet? I thought I saw it on the new seats on a Privat Air flight, which are the same seats on the A380.
The ethernet jacks don't do anything. Only a couple A330s have the internet service right now. They've been trying to bring it back online for a few months now and it is slow going.

I did the inaugural SFO-FRA A380 flight. It was nice. The A380 is an incredibly quiet plane to fly on which is nice for the overnight trip. I recommend a seat in the front or back Y cabins downstairs; they're slightly smaller, quieter and I found the service to be a bit better than in the middle sections.

At the end of the day it is all Y so don't expect a ton, but the new LH seat isn't so bad and the overall experience certainly could be worse.

Search this Thread