Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would You Buy 1K Status?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2011, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LA_Traveler
UA selling 1K status at $6K to $8K per year? I don't ever remember seeing the offer, but considering that UA won't status match 1K to super elites from other programs, I doubt very much that the price would be so low if it was offered at all.
There was a time when $6-8k wasn't considered "low." And buy-up to US Chairman's Preferred is $3,999.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 11:41 am

Programs: Skymiles, MilagePlus
1k question

Hi,

I have 36,000 miles on UA (23,000 lifetime miles) and want to become 1K. Any ideas the *best* way to achieve this goal?
Old Jul 13, 2011, 11:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by JetAway
I forget the exact cost but I think it was around $6-8K per year.
Originally Posted by StingWest
I'm probably mistaken, but I think I remember the price was $20,000, prepaid against tickets during the year, and non-refundable at the end of the year if you didn't use it all up.
I don't recall the $20k number myself but there may have been a couple of versions of this offer.
It was $20K, here is the original thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...1k-status.html

(this would not include any of the targeted "buyback" programs that are offered.

Anyway, back to the question:

Would you like to see the "new" UA again offer the 1K purchase option?
It would not "bother" me, provided it was much like the prepaid offer, and not "given" away (ala ToD upgrades).

First, status is basically sold now... Its called buying a full F ticket.

Second, if someone wants to buy it and they don't travel much... then what is the difference. If they want to get "treated" like a 1K for a couple of flights, and spend a fortune, then more power to them.

Third, if similar to my second response, if they don't travel much, and wouldn't "earn" 1K.... they are really not flying enough to "impact" the system too much... other then giving UA a big stack of cash.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for link. Very interesting. Don't know where I got the $6-8k from.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
There was a time when $6-8k wasn't considered "low." And buy-up to US Chairman's Preferred is $3,999.
I avoid US Airways like the plague. Welcome you to throw good money after its pitiful program, but don't force association of UA 1k program with US Airways.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by nomads
Hi,

I have 36,000 miles on UA (23,000 lifetime miles) and want to become 1K. Any ideas the *best* way to achieve this goal?
The simple answer is to *fly* enough to earn 100000 EQM miles every year. Lifetime miles don't figure into the annual 1K qualification, unless you have achieved 3 MM milestone.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 1:07 pm

Programs: Skymiles, MilagePlus
Originally Posted by LA_Traveler
The simple answer is to *fly* enough to earn 100000 EQM miles every year. Lifetime miles don't figure into the annual 1K qualification, unless you have achieved 3 MM milestone.
thanks!^
Old Jul 13, 2011, 1:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by trm2
You can hand overf $3,000 and sit on planes for a week. and get 1K.
It's even possible to get United to pay you to hit 1K...
Old Jul 13, 2011, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jchiguy1
I already did purchase 1K...by flying over 100,000 miles BIS! That's the only way it should be done.
If the (presumably suffering) of actually sitting BIS is part of the price for earning 1K then I should reasonably expect EQM for flying on award tickets, no? After all, I did "pay" something for them.

Don't forget that with things like the 2009 DEQM offer and Y/C/F ticket EQM bonuses, you could earn 1K by sitting as few as 40k BIS miles. That's slightly more than 2 round trips from the east coast to AsiaPac.

It's hard to justify that this is about anything but money. Because of *A EQM, one can earn 1K without setting foot on a UA plane.

p.s. I'm not defending the idea of 1K for cash. 1K has become diluted enough as it is. Before long, GS will be the new 1K.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA1K 1MM
If you take one or more flights with the intention of doing so to achieve 1K status then you are paying for 1K status. That's what people who MR in order to reach 1K or any other MP status level are doing.

They're buying status.

CB
Old Jul 13, 2011, 1:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by SFOSpiff
Don't forget that with things like the 2009 DEQM offer and Y/C/F ticket EQM bonuses, you could earn 1K by sitting as few as 40k BIS miles.
2009 had TEQM. Combined with Elite Choice carry-over and Visa, you could have gotten 1K with under 30K (high-priced) BiS.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by SFOSpiff
It's hard to justify that this is about anything but money. Because of *A EQM, one can earn 1K without setting foot on a UA plane.
Could you elaborate on how it could possibly dilute 1K, if someone earns it by only earning *A EQM (non-UA metal).

If the (presumably suffering) of actually sitting BIS is part of the price for earning 1K then I should reasonably expect EQM for flying on award tickets, no? After all, I did "pay" something for them.
Actually, I have believed this (and think it would be a reasonable trade off).... If you book a standard award, it should earn lifetime BIS. Or for an additional fee (I know, bite my tongue) a saver award could earn BIS.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 2:00 pm

Programs: *S, UA, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz, Avis, Amex Plat
cancel and get miles?

This sounds like a stupid question by, if you buy a full fare refundable ticket, and cancel it 24 hours before the trip, would you still get miles?
Old Jul 13, 2011, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Could you elaborate on how it could possibly dilute 1K, if someone earns it by only earning *A EQM (non-UA metal).
I didn't claim it would dilute 1K. But some part, however small, of awarding 1K is that those fliers have generally flown at least a large number of miles on UA, and help spread the word about United (hopefully good words).

Earning UA 1K by flying 100k miles on Singapore Airlines signifies nothing but that SQ paid UA a handful of money to pay for the EQM you were awarded. Therefore, your 1K status is merely a function of dollars and nothing else.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by tintin_007
This sounds like a stupid question by, if you buy a full fare refundable ticket, and cancel it 24 hours before the trip, would you still get miles?
You don't get mileage credit until you've actually taken the flight. Book and cancel will not get you any mileage credits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.