Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Award Accelerator Miles always cheaper for 1k's?

Old Jul 12, 11, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

I just booked an itinerary for me (1K) and my partner (member).

I always click on travel options just to see if there in anything interesting on offer (or a glitch allowing me to fast track to F!)

I clicked on the Award Accelerator option and noticed the following:

Award Accelerator
Opt to pile up miles faster.
Award Accelerator® helps you grow your Mileage Plus account faster, so you can redeem miles for travel rewards sooner.This option is offered below for all eligible passengers in your itinerary.* Miles purchased do not count toward elite qualification.

LarkSFO (1K Member)
4,796 Award Accelerator miles 110.00 USD
9,592 Award Accelerator miles 221.00 USD

LarkSFO partner (Member)
4,796 Award Accelerator miles 134.00 USD
9,592 Award Accelerator miles 269.00 USD

Although neither of these is a great deal (unless you need to top off), I found it interesting that there is a price difference for miles for 1K's vs. member.

Has this always been the case?
Old Jul 12, 11, 6:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by LarkSFO View Post
...Has this always been the case?
what has been the case is variable pricing -- the pricing has varied between 2 cpm to 3 cpm -- most recently about 2.5 cpm.

IME experience everyone on the same PNR got the same pricing but I have seen different pricing on the same itin at different points in the process.
Old Jul 12, 11, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
IME experience everyone on the same PNR got the same pricing but I have seen different pricing on the same itin at different points in the process.
I've had the pricing float as well. For international itineraries, it's 2.5cpm under "Travel Options" but later, during OLCI, it's available for 2cpm (which, IMO, is the only rate worth paying).
Old Jul 12, 11, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Just checked in EZE-IAD-LAX-SYD and it came to about 2.5c a mile but was in Pesos!
Old Oct 11, 11, 4:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Award Accelerator Miles price differences?

I don't know if I just have never noticed this before, but the pricing is coming up different between myself (1K) and my partner (GM). It is actually looking like kind of deal as I know I won't be traveling very much and could really use some miles. Have a MR to HNL end of this week and they are offering me 14,388 miles for $331. About $.023 per mile. Offering the same for my Thanksgiving trip, my partner is on that trip and his offer is 9592 miles for $269. The are also offering me 9592 miles at $221.

I don't think I could do an MR for that kind of money. Thoughts?

My end of year International is even chepaer only .02 per mile, they are offering 24,033 miles for $481.

Last edited by SF1K; Oct 11, 11 at 4:51 pm
Old Oct 11, 11, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K(until 2022), MM *G for life, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
AFAIK you don't get any EQM with Award Accelerator, therefore it's of quite limited use, unless you desperately need the miles to book an award.
Old Oct 12, 11, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by lhrsfo View Post
AFAIK you don't get any EQM with Award Accelerator, therefore it's of quite limited use, unless you desperately need the miles to book an award.
That's one way to look at it. The way I look at it, is that if I travel often enough, and take only the 2cpm offers, I can "buy" a business class r/t to Asia or Australia for around $3k, which is sometimes half the usual price.

I know many people would never pay $3k for any airline ticket under any circumstances, but if I spread the expense out over a year or two, it doesn't seem so bad. Plus I get extra FF miles in Oneworld for the purchase.

At worst I might not be making the best use of the money, but I don't consider myself a sucker.

(and, btw, you can buy EQM with CO's version of accelerator, but it's really a terrible deal, and unless you just need 1-2k EQM for status in a hurry, it's a waste)
Old Oct 12, 11, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFOSpiff View Post
That's one way to look at it. The way I look at it, is that if I travel often enough, and take only the 2cpm offers, I can "buy" a business class r/t to Asia or Australia for around $3k, which is sometimes half the usual price.

I know many people would never pay $3k for any airline ticket under any circumstances, but if I spread the expense out over a year or two, it doesn't seem so bad. Plus I get extra FF miles in Oneworld for the purchase.

At worst I might not be making the best use of the money, but I don't consider myself a sucker.
I agree with you here. I accumulate miles, yes, I sometimes buy the award accelerator... It is, in a way, a forced savings plan for travel. As long as you are sure you are going to use the miles in the not too distant future...

I also agree that when you use the miles relatively selectively, then even if you paid a lot for the miles, it is still less than the retail price of the ticket.

Originally Posted by SFOSpiff View Post
(and, btw, you can buy EQM with CO's version of accelerator, but it's really a terrible deal, and unless you just need 1-2k EQM for status in a hurry, it's a waste)
Disagree with you here. Flying 10,000 BIS miles for the EQM's is hard and time consuming. Buy the correct ticket on Co.Com (refundable ticket, or plan to get refund in 24 hours) Buy the RDM's, buy the EQM's. Then cancel the ticket for a refund.

I don't know exactly where I would draw this line, but even if I needed 10 - 15,000 EQM's I would strongly consider this option.
Old Oct 13, 11, 12:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Someone help me understand accelerator miles, if you would. I am flying SFO to BER rtn, 12000 or so miles in Y. I have been offered 51k miles as an accelerator for just over 1000 usd. So with my 1k 100% bonus how many RDM and EQM am I getting? Thank you.

Just to add a little more: is this 51k RDM total, 51k + 24k or something else. Thanks.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 13, 11 at 6:00 am Reason: merge/edit
Old Oct 15, 11, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by LeviFlight View Post
Someone help me understand accelerator miles, if you would. I am flying SFO to BER rtn, 12000 or so miles in Y. I have been offered 51k miles as an accelerator for just over 1000 usd. So with my 1k 100% bonus how many RDM and EQM am I getting? Thank you.

Just to add a little more: is this 51k RDM total, 51k + 24k or something else. Thanks.
Ok so I have my answer from United. I get my 12000 miles for the trip x 100%, of course. Now the award accelerator is additional not inclusive of this so for $1,023 I can buy 51,150 miles which works out at just under 2c / mile. That seems to be an attractive level worth considering.
Old Oct 23, 11, 1:25 pm

What happens if I cancel my reservation (fully refundable tickets or non-refundable within 24 hours) after I purchase miles by award accelerator?
Old Oct 23, 11, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by MrJBoy View Post
What happens if I cancel my reservation (fully refundable tickets or non-refundable within 24 hours) after I purchase miles by award accelerator?
You keep your purchased miles and UA is very glad to have at least some of your money.

I was recently offered Accelerator miles on an award ticket, U.S. to EZE for .0199 per mile.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 23, 11 at 4:17 pm Reason: merge
Old Oct 23, 11, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JetAway View Post
I was recently offered Accelerator miles on an award ticket, U.S. to EZE for .0199 per mile.
And???
Old Oct 23, 11, 7:28 pm

And???
Didn't buy them (yet). The offer is still there and the flight is in January. But it's tempting.
Old Oct 23, 11, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by JetAway View Post
And???
Didn't buy them (yet). The offer is still there and the flight is in January. But it's tempting.
Wondering what to do to. Have to decide in next 24 hrs. Seems like a good deal if buying business class with them but will be making 100k anyway before Xmas.

Here's a question: can I buy these and expense them for taxes if I subsequently buy a biz ticket for my company (sole prop)?

If so I am all I'm all over them. Thanks all for wisdom!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: