Status Match to a lower level?

Old Jul 11, 11, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
Status Match to a lower level?

I'm currently Executive Platinum on AA (equivalent to 1K). My flying this year is lower than in the recent past and would qualify for AA Platinum (equivalent to 1P) if I did not have lifetime Platinum status.

Is it possible to status match / challenge for a level lower than you currently have? I'd like to challenge for 1P, but not sure if that's possible for a top tier flyer on AA.

Thanks,
Greg
Old Jul 11, 11, 10:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
I don't see any reason they wouldn't allow it.
Old Jul 12, 11, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
And, in fact, it's traditionally been the rule that UA won't match/challenge to 1K anyway (though there have been exceptions to that in the past couple of years).
Old Jul 12, 11, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by GregL View Post

Is it possible to status match / challenge for a level lower than you currently have? I'd like to challenge for 1P, but not sure if that's possible for a top tier flyer on AA.
Just be sure that THIS is the year in which you really want to status match, because one thing that's been pretty consistent over the years is that UA is a ONE TIME ONLY matcher.

Dave
Old Jul 12, 11, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by bseller View Post
Just be sure that THIS is the year in which you really want to status match, because one thing that's been pretty consistent over the years is that UA is a ONE TIME ONLY matcher.

Dave
Out of curiosity, would a match to CO Gold (if the do those - i have no clue) be a workaround in OP's case and still leave a possibility for UA match at some point in the future?
Old Jul 12, 11, 2:27 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
Out of curiosity, would a match to CO Gold (if the do those - i have no clue) be a workaround in OP's case and still leave a possibility for UA match at some point in the future?
Likely, but only time will tell.
Old Jul 12, 11, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
Originally Posted by bseller View Post

Dave
Well, here is my situation: I'm a 5 year EXP on AA based on leisure travel. First two years were on a push for 2MM and lifetime PLT status. Last three years, I've requalified on Double EQM promotions that were offered.

Typical travel in a year will get me close to 50k/year. As a lifetime PLT, I have no incentive to travel on AA unless I fly 100k/year.

With no airline I'm locked into, I'd like to match to mid-tier on another airline. All the horror stories on DL redemption along with the 80k miles I have on CO already make UA the initial choice.

While I may not do 50k every year, a status match is at least an option to carry me through for about a year and a half.

Greg
Old Jul 12, 11, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
If your travel is domestic AS will match you MVP Gold.
Old Jul 13, 11, 5:12 am

Location: In the process of moving from Dubai back to Tokyo because I didn't like it there. Working in Melaka, Malaysia now.
Programs: No longer loyal to any airline.
Question

I am currently a DL Gold. What do you think UA would match me to?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: