Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class: LH 340-300 vs. UA 767-300?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2011, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UNITED959
Seriously? I don't care how much of a ra-ra CO fan anybody is (and we all know there's plenty drinking the COol-aid), there's no disputing that the UA F Suite is better than the CO BF seat. It's possible to argue the food and service, but not the seat/suite.
You missed the tongue-in-cheek element of my post, thought winking emoticon did it
Old Jul 10, 2011, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K
There is no comparison.

There is simply no comparison. LH is a world-class airline with one of the best first class products in the world. UA's first class is barely comparable with Emirates business class, but UA carries cheaper wines. Both seats are lie-flats, LH is just awesome. See for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbAk_Fs8sJs

There is simply no comparison, and I have flown both LH first and UA first.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Iif this is specifically about comparing UA 979 with (insert daytime LH flight from FRA/MUC here), UA 979 is a daytime flight departing in the early morning, arriving in (ZRH time) evening/(EWR time) midday.

This means that it's not going to be a night flight and thus soft product elements like food and wine, and things like lounges are likely to be more important than the bed/seat (which I would agree UA wins on when you're comparing LH old equipment).

LH's seat and cabin temps were fine for me for getting in a few hours nap during a similar daytime flight recently (LH 490 FRA-SEA). I don't generally sleep well on planes (in fact, I slept quite poorly in F on a UA flight that left at a similar midday departure time on the same trip, and was pretty spent by the time I got to HKG after 25 or so hours of flying/lounge time with little sleep). I think LH blows UA away on nearly everything else, save IFE (LH's F seat screen is not very large)- food, wine, lounges, ground handling out of FRA/MUC (where you won't get anything special as a UA customer).

If this were an eastbound flight ex-EWR where the OP was primarily interested in sleeping a full night, I might have a different answer (though in my case, I'd probably pick LH anyway because I really liked LH soft product and I slept fine in LH F seats, but I'll grant that UA's IFE and bed could tip the scales the other way). Also, whether or not the OP is having to do some hideously complicated routing that kills lounge time/ gives a long layover to fly LH and less convenient flight times might influence my answer as well.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jul 10, 2011 at 10:14 pm
Old Jul 10, 2011, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by SFflyer123
There is simply no comparison. LH is a world-class airline with one of the best first class products in the world. UA's first class is barely comparable with Emirates business class, but UA carries cheaper wines. Both seats are lie-flats, LH is just awesome. See for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbAk_Fs8sJs

There is simply no comparison, and I have flown both LH first and UA first.
+1. There is absolutely no comparison. Go with LH.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Have you people bashing UA and heralding the Lufthansa first class seat flown in UA's international F-cabin?

I think there is no dispute that the UA seat is MUCH better than on LH. If you want to sleep, go with UA.

For everything else, go with LH.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 8:06 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by flyhen
LH all the way! Flew in UA C and LH C from MUC to ORD, and yes, the hardware is neck to neck, but the extra friendliness of LH FA made the world of difference!
In what world are the UA C and LH C neck to neck? UA has flat bed suites in C (except a few remaining 777's) with larger IFE screen. LH has angled seats, even on it's new 380's with small screens. Hardware is hardly neck to neck??
Old Jul 11, 2011, 9:03 am

Programs: LH Senator, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
In what world are the UA C and LH C neck to neck? UA has flat bed suites in C (except a few remaining 777's) with larger IFE screen. LH has angled seats, even on it's new 380's with small screens. Hardware is hardly neck to neck??
Personally, I don't care whether it's lie flat. In fact, with the kind of pillows UA supplies, its rather uncomfortable to "lie flat" IMHO. That's why I have always been a fan of slanted seats. Whether its the old 777, NH or LH flights. As far as IFE, ever since iPad, I found myself ignoring the IFE except to check the flight status.

In that case, I like the LH armrest Yeah! That's right, their armrest provided better supports when using the iPad. IIRC the UA seats armrest is adjustable, but relatively narrower then LH. And one last thing, which absolutely bugs me is the "Backwards" seating in UA. I always found it creepy.

So, I should probably say LH>>UA.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Have you people bashing UA and heralding the Lufthansa first class seat flown in UA's international F-cabin?

I think there is no dispute that the UA seat is MUCH better than on LH. If you want to sleep, go with UA.

For everything else, go with LH.
And if you want to stay awake and watch IFE take UA. 7" LH screen is laughable. Also when departing at least from LAX (and IIRC SFO) I'd take UA IFL over *A lounge. And if smth goes wrong i can get some travel credits out of UA.

Aside from more consistent service and meals (can't comment on wines - don't care personally) I hardly see any reason to pick LH when flying from US.

Originally Posted by flyhen
Personally, I don't care whether it's lie flat. In fact, with the kind of pillows UA supplies, its rather uncomfortable to "lie flat" IMHO. That's why I have always been a fan of slanted seats. Whether its the old 777, NH or LH flights. As far as IFE, ever since iPad, I found myself ignoring the IFE except to check the flight status.

In that case, I like the LH armrest Yeah! That's right, their armrest provided better supports when using the iPad. IIRC the UA seats armrest is adjustable, but relatively narrower then LH. And one last thing, which absolutely bugs me is the "Backwards" seating in UA. I always found it creepy.

So, I should probably say LH>>UA.
To each his own but your preferences are really out of mainstream. Nothing wrong with it but very few people would pick slanted over horizontal for example. And I have to pay to download movies to iPad while UA selection is acceptable, free and on a great screen.

Originally Posted by SFflyer123
.. LH is a world-class airline with one of the best first class products in the world. ..
While I can in some cases agree that LH F is better that UA F, it doesn't come anywhere close to "best first class products in the world".

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 11, 2011 at 1:34 pm Reason: merge
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Aside from more consistent service and meals (can't comment on wines - don't care personally) I hardly see any reason to pick LH when flying from US.
The OP is flying ex-Europe, if you check the post.

I would see some very good reasons to fly LH F instead of UA F ex-USA, though- if you have to connect in SFO/LAX/ORD/IAD to get a UA nonstop to Europe from a hub (like me, SEA-based) and then (possibly) connect AGAIN in FRA/MUC, as opposed to taking a nonstop/single connection, it would be a no-brainer for me- I'd take LH F to Europe without hesitation. The difference between a 15" screen and a somewhat better lie-flat, and a 7" screen and a worse lie-flat is not enough for me to not like the convenience of the nonstop on a longhaul, especially given the other advantages that LH has.

That being said... I'll take a connection if it times the flight better. I preferred HKG-ZRH-FRA over HKG-FRA on a trip because the LX flight was a night flight- it's easier for me to get a decent night's sleep in LX F then than during daytime on LH.

The bottom line is there is no right answer that will suit everyone. Everyone's needs are different, so pick what suits your needs.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jul 11, 2011 at 11:47 am
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by azepine00
Also when departing at least from LAX (and IIRC SFO) I'd take UA IFL over *A lounge.
Sorry to burst your UA rah-rah bubble, but LH First pax have access to UA IFLs in the US, while UA First pax are relegated to *A lounges at FRA/MUC and have no access to the LH FCT/FCLs.

Aside from more consistent service and meals...
Yeah, who cares about service and meals?

And our LH seats and bed were so uncomfortable last week.

Last edited by SFO777; Jul 11, 2011 at 11:52 am
Old Jul 11, 2011, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Wow--those new seats--in a 747 to boot--look great.

But with no blue and yellow, it doesn't look like LH!
Old Jul 11, 2011, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LH M&M, AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Avis NotLast, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by SFO777
Sorry to burst your UA rah-rah bubble, but LH First pax have access to UA IFLs in the US
At IAD, it depends on which lounge warden is manning the front desk. Last month I was admitted to the IFL "as an exception" and only because I was meeting a colleague before my LH flight departed.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFO777

And our LH seats and bed were so uncomfortable last week.

Let's not resort to cheating here - the pics are not of current LH F.
There is no question that the upcoming one is better but how many of those are currently in the sky - a couple? I think the comparison is with current LH F where I spent two long hauls last week...

Sorry to burst your UA rah-rah bubble, but LH First pax have access to UA IFLs in the US
Not sure if you had a chance to fly from LAX but it's mighty hard to access UA IFL in terminal 7 when you depart on LH from Tom Bradley.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Let's not resort to cheating here - the pics are not of current LH F.
I took those pics last Friday, so it's pretty current in my book.

Not sure if you had a chance to fly from LAX but it's mighty hard to access UA IFL in terminal 7 when you depart on LH from Tom Bradley.
Fortunately, I live in SFO and the SFO IFL is one minute from the LH gates.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by SFOTurtle
When was the last time you flew in a UA 763 with the new F seats? There is no angle in these seats at all since the conversions to the new F, and the conversions have all been done in the past few years, so seats presumably are still in excellent shape (not speaking from personal experience).

On the other hand, the FCT in FRA is great if you have enough time to enjoy it.
While the UA 767 F and C seats both lie entirely flat, in F, the seats are angled sideways... so much so that they require an additional seatbelt which I don't find very comfortable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.