FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Seeking Advice on Mechanical (real-time) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/1233296-seeking-advice-mechanical-real-time.html)

fsfsfsfs Jul 5, 2011 10:53 am

Seeking Advice on Mechanical (real-time)

Wondering if anyone has ideas from your experience...

I'm flying UX SFO-YYC, and my flight has an ongoing mechanical (door won't close). Pax were all de-boarded and everyone is in the gate area. Unknown whether there might be equipment swap or a fix.

There is a later flight to YYC departing in an hour (from same gate area). Before I deplaned, I called to protect myself on the later flight. However, because I checked a bag (I almost never do it!), I would not be able to board the later flight even though I have a reservation for it. In fact, I can't even check in for it.

I would like to go for the known delay (later flight) rather than the unknown one (broken door). Is there any way I can do this?

Thanks!

mrswirl Jul 5, 2011 11:06 am

The checked bag is the problem. Since it is considered an international flight, I doubt highly that they will allow you move over to the later flight unless and until they actually cancel your current flight due to the mechanical issue.

You can try to find a friendly GA and plead your case (ie: missed business meeting, etc.) but it's unlikely they will agree to pull your bag from the delayed flight and rules won't allow you to fly on a different flight than your bags.

ozstamps Jul 5, 2011 11:11 am

A few days back when UA cancelled SYD-LAX without telling us, the United cargo site was the more accurate guide it was cancelled for sure. @:-)

fsfsfsfs Jul 5, 2011 11:14 am

Originally Posted by mrswirl (Post 16674646)
The checked bag is the problem. Since it is considered an international flight, I doubt highly that they will allow you move over to the later flight unless and until they actually cancel your current flight due to the mechanical issue.

You can try to find a friendly GA and plead your case (ie: missed business meeting, etc.) but it's unlikely they will agree to pull your bag from the delayed flight and rules won't allow you to fly on a different flight than your bags.

Thanks. I did try to plead to GA, but they didn't seem to want to pull individual bags. I actually did miss some meetings, but that's life.

They seem to be re-boarding now. Hope they fixed the door!

Billiken Jul 5, 2011 1:28 pm

FWIW, I had a 4-hour mechincal delay last Wednesday evening.
When I got to work on Thursday there was an "appreciation" email from UA waiting for me.
I took the $150 e-cert.

Good Luck

WineCountryUA Jul 5, 2011 1:42 pm

Appears OP was still better off with original flight

UA6348 Scheduled Departure 8:18 AM Actual 10:36 AM
estimated arrival 2:12PM

UA6392 Scheduled Departure 10:58 Actual 10:52 AM
estimated arrival 2:38PM (delayed from 2:27)

fsfsfsfs Jul 5, 2011 2:34 pm

right you are, winecountryua! arrived late but safe :)