Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

ANA *G member can't buy E+ and credit miles to ANA??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANA *G member can't buy E+ and credit miles to ANA??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2011, 4:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Unhappy ANA *G member can't buy E+ and credit miles to ANA??

(I did a search and couldn't find the answer, so here goes...)

I recently reached Platinum status on ANA and want to fly UA to take advantage of *G benefits. I also want to fly in E+ and am willing to pay extra for it, since *G doesn't entitle one to E+.

The problem I am facing is that it doesn't seem possible to buy E+ at the time of booking and credit my flight miles to ANA?? Please tell me if my understanding is wrong.

If I try to buy a one-time upsell to E+, I can only purchase E+ at check-in, not at the time of booking. Is this correct?

If I buy the annual E+ subscription (which I am willing to do), I must use my MP number for my UA flights and credit the flights to MP (not ANA), according to the terms of the E+ subscription on UA's website. Is this understanding correct???

If my understanding is correct, isn't this @ss backwards??? If I use my MP number, then I can't get any *G benefits on my flights. So obviously that is a non-starter for me. So what is essentially happening is that a MP general (non-elite) member is being offered a perk (upsell to E+) that is not being offered to *G members!! I thought the whole point of alliance benefits is that elite members are supposed to get more perks across the whole alliance?? Why are UA general members getting a significant perk that *G members are not???

This is especially ridiculous considering the new JV between UA and ANA where the two airlines share revenue and claim to offer seamless benefits across the alliance.

I really hope my understanding is wrong, but if it isn't, I'll just fly JL/AA.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 5:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
If I try to buy a one-time upsell to E+, I can only purchase E+ at check-in, not at the time of booking. Is this correct?
You should be able to purchase E+ at any time.

If I buy the annual E+ subscription (which I am willing to do), I must use my MP number for my UA flights and credit the flights to MP (not ANA), according to the terms of the E+ subscription on UA's website. Is this understanding correct?
As far as I know, yes.

So what is essentially happening is that a MP general (non-elite) member is being offered a perk (upsell to E+) that is not being offered to *G members!
No, you are both being offered the same thing with the same requirements. You just choose not to meet those requirements. Not an ideal situation, but that's sometimes how it is.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 7:22 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
- You can purchase / upsell to E+ at any time

- You must use a UA MP number to use an annual E+ subscription, until you check in and receive your boarding pass

- After check-in, you can switch to your ANA number to credit to that program. You will retain your E+ seat as you've already checked in. You can do this online, at a kiosk, or at the gate. I suggest a kiosk, it is quick and easy. Some agents don't understand the system and it gets more difficult than using an automated option. Just check-in and get your E+ seat assignment first.

I do this often, not because of E+ access but using my UA status while crediting to another program. There are several threads on this already.

I agree it is a crummy system, as many UA flyers in E- are likely *G and when they take the advertising bait, it's a big mess.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
You should be able to purchase E+ at any time.
Here is the page on the UA (Japan) site that seems to be telling me I can only buy E+ at checkin:

http://www.unitedairlines.co.jp/core... plus one time

"Purchase is available to international customers during online check-in."

And just below that: "Economy PlusŪ one-time option is available for purchase upon check-in. "

I tried to book a reservation on united.com and went through the whole process of selecting seats. During the seat selection process, the site said "no economy plus seats are available at this time," even though Expertflyer shows the E+ cabin wide open.

Is it perhaps the case that customers originating outside the US are not given the option to purchase E+ at the time of booking? (I live in Japan.)
Old Jul 5, 2011, 11:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K

Is it perhaps the case that customers originating outside the US are not given the option to purchase E+ at the time of booking? (I live in Japan.)
No, normally you would be able to buy up to E+ at any time. I also live in Japan. Earlier this year, my travel partner and I were on separate PNRs, but she was offered E+ during purchase and also after purchase if I attempted to change her seat. I was using my CO status to get us both in E+ for free, so I just had to call UA to do it, but the website was certainly happy to sell her E+ at any time.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 11:06 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
"Purchase is available to international customers during online check-in."

The policy used to be that it was on check-in / gate only. Then they added purchase, and then they added anytime. Possibly this page is old policy, or possibly it's still restricted for international travelers. But I would be very surprised if you couldn't call and buy E+, worst case.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 7:38 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Has OP tried to change seats online to an E+ seat? That usually prompts the website to charge you for the seat.

Also, not sure how moving business JL/AA would be prudent since, well, they don't offer E+ either.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
(I did a search and couldn't find the answer, so here goes...)...
I really hope my understanding is wrong, but if it isn't, I'll just fly JL/AA.
No, in my experience you are 100% spot on.

And it is even worse than that: I got booted a few times from E+ in HKG because while boarding in the US, I switched crediting to LH (which gives a lot of miles for full fares). In HKG I get beeped at the gate reader and get removed from E+ because I am "not a 1K". Showing the card doesn't help.

The pesky gate agent tells me that as an LH SEN, I'd have to pay for E+ .. to which I agree. Her colleagues starts the processing then, just before processing the payment, tells me that I have to credit to MP ... I travel in E- and think that this is merely because of some quirk of the HKG mafia.

I write to UA and complain bitterly about the treatment ... and they confirm that what HKG did was exactly how the system was intended to be.

Half a year later, I send UA 6 tickets which I purchased from SQ, TG, and CX because UA won't let me credit to *A and they "regret" my decision...

It's a hopeless company, far removed from customer input.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PTahCha
Also, not sure how moving business JL/AA would be prudent since, well, they don't offer E+ either.

Did it occur to you that if I can't use E+ on UA, the balance of advantages shifts in JL and AA's favor? Namely, JL's service blows away UA. Or if I take AA, I can get a more convenient routing. Only if I can get E+ on UA and use my *G benefits does UA become more attractive.

Originally Posted by weero
No, in my experience you are 100% spot on.

[snip]

I write to UA and complain bitterly about the treatment ... and they confirm that what HKG did was exactly how the system was intended to be.

Half a year later, I send UA 6 tickets which I purchased from SQ, TG, and CX because UA won't let me credit to *A and they "regret" my decision...

It's a hopeless company, far removed from customer input.
Wow... just wow. It's like UA is just telling *G members to go [pound sand]. They offer a benefit (E+ upsell) to general MP members who rarely fly but deny it to *G members who fly tens of thousands of miles every year... unless the *G member agrees to credit to MP, in which case they give up all the *G benefits like lounge access, priority check-in etc.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 7, 2011 at 6:55 am Reason: merge
Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:27 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by weero
....The pesky gate agent tells me that as an LH SEN, I'd have to pay for E+ .. to which I agree. Her colleagues starts the processing then, just before processing the payment, tells me that I have to credit to MP ... I travel in E- and think that this is merely because of some quirk of the HKG mafia.

I write to UA and complain bitterly about the treatment ... and they confirm that what HKG did was exactly how the system was intended to be......
....They offer a benefit (E+ upsell) to general MP members who rarely fly but deny it to *G members who fly tens of thousands of miles every year... unless the *G member agrees to credit to MP, in which case they give up all the *G benefits like lounge access, priority check-in etc....
While the annual access E+ does require the use of a MP number, there is no such requirement for E+ OneTime Option
Any customer-requested changes to any portion of this itinerary will result in loss of Economy PlusŪ seats for the entire itinerary.
Economy Plus purchase applies for flights on your receipt only.
Valid for travel on United/Ted/United Express only (Star Alliance or marketed code share flights not permitted).
Economy Plus purchase is nonrefundable unless Economy Plus is not available for the flights on receipt.
For ticket changes/exchanges, the full value of this itinerary (excluding this additional Economy Plus charge) is applicable to new tickets (less any applicable change fees).
Economy Plus purchase reserves a seat within the Economy Plus seating area. Specific seat assignments are not guaranteed.
Economy Plus purchase is processed based on seat availability at time of purchase.
This offer is subject to change without notice.
In fact there is no requirement to even have an MP number for the OneTime E+ Option.

Economy PlusŪ one-time option
Old Jul 7, 2011, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
..In fact there is no requirement to even have an MP number for the OneTime E+ Option..
Unless you happen to fly across HKG of course and then try to complain afterwards ...

UA quo vadis?
Old Jul 7, 2011, 4:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
While the annual access E+ does require the use of a MP number, there is no such requirement for E+ OneTime Option
In fact there is no requirement to even have an MP number for the OneTime E+ Option.

Economy PlusŪ one-time option
But according to the UA Japan website, the one-time option is only available for purchase at check-in, not at time of booking. (see my earlier post with the relevant link.) And I was unable to buy E+ when I tried to book online.

Guess I'll have to call UA this weekend to find out the real story.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 5:51 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
But according to the UA Japan website, the one-time option is only available for purchase at check-in, not at time of booking. (see my earlier post with the relevant link.) And I was unable to buy E+ when I tried to book online.

Guess I'll have to call UA this weekend to find out the real story.
According to UA Japan website, from the same link you provided:

How far in advance can I purchase an Economy Plus seat?

You can purchase a seat in Economy Plus on united.com, at an airport kiosk, or with a reservations or gate agent. All seating is subject to availability.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I should not even say that.

FTers have reported that being a non-UA/CO *G can make them successfully assigned to E+ without paying. But again YMMV.

Call the reservation and see what kinds of "options" they are giving you.

If you don't like it, thanks and call next day.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by garykung
..FTers have reported that being a non-UA/CO *G can make them successfully assigned to E+ without paying. But again YMMV..
I guess that it is only fair then of UA elites get unassigned a seat then now and then as YMMV ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.