Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

What sorts of damage to checked luggage does UA repair/reimburse?

Old Jun 25, 2011, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat

First, I did a search both here and on .bomb and can't find a lot of recent circa 2010 or 2011) information.

I don't check bags very often, but once or twice a year on the family trips we end up checking some. For many years we've been very lucky, and it has been a long time (more than a decade?) since I've had a mashed bag until today. Late last night, or actually early this morning around 1 a.m., we arrived home in DEN and our luggage finally comes up. The last bag is a wheeled duffel bag and has clearly been pinched and caught in some machinery somewhere and the tough, double-stitched nylon has been ripped apart at the seams to the tune of about 8 " or so, with the contents clearly visible inside.

I take it over to one of several UA baggage folks (well staffed at 1 am!). She promptly informs me that they don't cover "any damage or rips along the seams" because "I might have overstuffed the bag at some point in the past". This bag was about half full at the time, so it must have been "in the past" of course. Given the lateness of the hour, and the fact that we'd started traveling over 24 hours before in Europe, I just gave up and came home. It's not that big a deal--I can probably get the manufacturer or a local repair shop to get it back together in reasonable shape. But of course it is the principal of the thing--I know it wasn't in that shape when I checked it in 24 hours earlier. For what it is worth, I was on a paid international business class ticket and am 1P (well on my way to 1K with > 120k EQM in the past 12 months).

So what is the current state of affairs for damaged luggage claims with UA? They or LH clearly damaged my bag yesterday (and of course everyone says that), and now I have to spend hours and $$$ getting it repaired due to their negligence. I don't want to get labeled a chronic complainer either, so it is only worth it to even bother to fire off a request if I have a high likelihood of some success.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.