FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   United Mileage Plus Miles - best use of them (Merged) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/1229729-united-mileage-plus-miles-best-use-them-merged.html)

rpearlberg Jun 24, 2011 6:11 am

United Mileage Plus Miles - best use of them (Merged)

What is the best way to use these? I only have about 24K points, but I'd like to use them up....

I could buy something from their store, or is there a way to transfer them to another points program, or get gift cards?

mahasamatman Jun 24, 2011 7:42 am

The best way is to get another 1K miles and book a free trip.

Using miles for merchandise is not much better than throwing the miles away.

mia Jun 24, 2011 8:41 am

Moderator action

Moved to the UA section because this question pertains to mileage redemption.

rankourabu Jun 24, 2011 8:43 am

25,000 miles?

Probably a roundtrip to Alaska is best use on the domestic front.

rpearlberg Jun 24, 2011 8:55 am

Thanks for moving this to the correct place...

I didn't realize I was so close to a free flight....

rajsbasi Jun 24, 2011 9:08 am

Or maybe a one way upgrade on a run to Europe?

jhayes_1780 Jun 24, 2011 9:29 am

Originally Posted by rpearlberg (Post 16617472)
What is the best way to use these? I only have about 24K points, but I'd like to use them up....

I could buy something from their store, or is there a way to transfer them to another points program, or get gift cards?

In general, UAMP is a dead end program (not implying UAMP is a bad program). There are tons of ways to transfer in, but very little (if any) way to transfer out (with the merging with CO-OP, I don't know if that would allow you to transfer to AX/*wood/etc.).

Anyway, you can get merchandise, hotels, car rentals, magazines, all sorts of stuff (I don't know if 24K is enought for all of those). But more info can be found here:

http://www.united.com/page/article/1...Title=usemiles

rankourabu Jun 24, 2011 9:32 am

Originally Posted by rpearlberg (Post 16618239)
Thanks for moving this to the correct place...

I didn't realize I was so close to a free flight....

You actually have enough for a short haul flight (up to 700 miles) - those are 20,000 points.

You also have the option of buying 2 one-way awards at 12,500 each.
Or one one-way first class domestic award for 25,000

6rugrats Jun 24, 2011 9:35 am

Agree, it's not very good value to use these to purchase merchandise. If you have a CO account with any miles, you can tranfer your UA miles into that. I'd probably try to earn another 1000 miles just by shopping through Mileage Plus Mall, but failing that, I'd purchase the miles so I could use the 25,000 miles for an award ticket.

ianmanka Jun 24, 2011 9:37 am

And if United flight availability isn't what you want, you can transfer your miles to Continental and see what they have to offer. But I'd get another 1,000 miles first.

garykung Jun 25, 2011 10:20 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 16617815)
The best way is to get another 1K miles and book a free trip.

Using miles for merchandise is not much better than throwing the miles away.

Get Netflix - easy 1000...

pinniped Jun 25, 2011 10:25 am

Are there any 22.5k awards in the chart? The presence of one-way awards makes 24k worth much more than on, say, Delta.

The easy answer is to go eat a meal or do something else to nudge it up to 25k. Of course then you could argue that you should go a little further and get some sort of longer-haul one-way.

I actually do quite a few 12.5k/25k awards for Canada. From my hometown we never have decent fares so it's a pretty good place for miles. Alaska's a nice call too, although won't award availability be tight in the summer?

Webnet668 Jun 29, 2011 10:16 pm

A good way to use united skymiles?

I've got over 130,000 miles between my account and my wife's account. Unfortunately the rewards there are horrible, there's no straight up gift cards or anything from what I can find. Aside from flights, what's the best way to spend these points?

I'm very disappointed because I look at Southwest and other credit cards with rewards programs that will just give you gift cards.

IAHRyan Jun 29, 2011 10:21 pm

Why don’t you just buy flights? You can get pretty good value with these awards. With 130k you’ve got yourself two round-trips to Europe.

Webnet668 Jun 29, 2011 10:25 pm

We earned these points by flying to/from Europe and don't have the vacation time to go back before they expire next summer. That's why I was hoping for a decent alternative....