Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Advice needed: IAD-MUC or ORD-MUC (load based)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR platinum

I am looking for some advice from the experts: I am flying DEN-MUC on Saturday June 25, booked in full-fare Y and looking for an upgrade to C. Both are old-config 777. Currently on IAD-MUC with bulkhead middle in Y+. Non-zero loads today are:
F7, A2, C8, D3, Z0, Y4, B4, J9 [8seats in C on the map]

I am wondering if switching to ORD-MUC would be a better bet, with loads:
F4, A2, C9, D5, Z0, Y7, B7, J9 [11seats in C on the map]

ORD-MUC appears more elite-light (exit rows in Y available) and I could get bulkhead aisle in Y+, but I will get a bit less miles. Also I will lose some time on the waitlist (booked two weeks ago when IAD flight was looking the best bet), but it will probably not matter too much (or maybe in IAD it will with 1Ks on gov YCA fares...).

Suggestions? Stay with the connection in IAD and monitor the loads or change the reservation now? Thanks!
Old Jun 18, 2011, 7:56 am

Programs: UA General Member, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hertz 5-star Gold
I suggest taking ORD-MUC, as I am on the IAD-MUC and am hoping for an upgrade.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 9:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Given you are a 1K on a full Y fare, I wouldn't sweat it too much. If you were traveling on a Friday night, I might have a few anxious moments. But I'd say either routing will be fine for you to clear next Saturday.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA General Member, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hertz 5-star Gold
When I search for flights (money or miles), #902 (IAD-MUC) doesn't even show up anymore. Maybe it is totally booked? How did you get the fare bucket information for that flight?
Old Jun 18, 2011, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA 2K, MM, SPG PLT
Agree that ORD - MUC is elite light. I just flew the reverse Friday and C was 1/2 empty. UG cleared at the gate though (W fare). With that said, you are fine on either flight - 1k + Y is almost a certain UG with those loads.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the feedback and suggestions!

Originally Posted by hooterbif
I suggest taking ORD-MUC, as I am on the IAD-MUC and am hoping for an upgrade.
Unfortunately both IAD-MUC and ORD-MUC have been zeroed out in Y for the last week, so no change has been possible... Both flights are pretty full in the front as well (down to C5/C6). We will have to see if we clear at the gate at this point. Best of luck!

Last edited by CASAFlyer; Jun 19, 2011 at 8:35 pm
Old Jun 20, 2011, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by Cosmos M
Agree that ORD - MUC is elite light. I just flew the reverse Friday and C was 1/2 empty.
This is certainly a YMMV situation, because if you had flown it on Wednesday, June 1st, you can be CERTAIN you'd be have been sitting in Y.

I held award F tix with my GF, but C was completely booked. I was told during flight that it was basically paid C fares, owing to a Radiologist's convention in ORD.

Glad you cleared, tho!!

Dave
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:28 am

Programs: UA*S, TK*G, BA G
I was on that flight :-). 1P on an S fare and got op-upped to C.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:42 am

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
So the upgrade would have definitely cleared! They will do SWU UGs before op-UG.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Update: success

Upgrade cleared while I was on DEN-IAD, likely when the IAD-MUC flight went to DM. I was number one on the waitlist at check-in time in Denver. When I boarded, the monitors were still showing 3 seats available in C and about 20 people on the upgrade list.

First time on the old conf. in C this year: UA really needs to update their product on the 777s soon... but old C still beats Y+. And on the plus side, service was great with frequent water refills during the night ^
Old Jun 26, 2011, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CASAFlyer
First time on the old conf. in C this year: UA really needs to update their product on the 777s soon... but old C still beats Y+. And on the plus side, service was great with frequent water refills during the night ^
Just did MUC-ORD in F and I have to believe UA uses the oldest, most decrepit 777s on this route. Duct tape holding some of the panels together, torn and stained carpet, barely functional IFE screens, photocopied paper menus, and some of the most "senior" FAs in the business...after going over in LH F, UA First was frankly embarrassing in comparison.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.