Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are there different shades of 1K?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2011, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Are there different shades of 1K?

Mrs. EX and I have been 1K for two years now and since we fly together all the time reached the threshold at the same time in those two years. Only this year, because of the earthquake, she is a couple of 10k miles behind me. We are looking at our flight on Thursday and I was upgraded via UDU for the U.S. domestic leg exactly at the 100 hr mark while she was not. Funny, though, she was offered a mileage upgrade for the TPAC segment, while I was not. Just trying to make sense out of it. In both instances there was/is plenty of space in each corresponding cabin.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Were you in different fare buckets by chance?
Old Jun 6, 2011, 8:48 pm

Million Miler maybe? One of you is, one is not? It seems to make a difference for me sometimes, although can't say at booking. More in a clear at gate situation.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
Were you in different fare buckets by chance?
Exactly the same itinerary, same buckets, just two separate confirmation numbers since we applied each our own SWUs for the return leg which came up as W fare at booking. Also we called UA and linked our reservations. We are stumped.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 8:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
I'm pretty sure the algorithm is widely established. Status, Booking Code, Time on list. It says to me that you probably booked a second or two earlier than her and there was only space to upgrade 1 of you.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SOMA1K
Million Miler maybe? One of you is, one is not? It seems to make a difference for me sometimes, although can't say at booking. More in a clear at gate situation.
No, not there yet. We did bite on the upgrade with miles offer, though, and by doing so, Mrs. EX was upgraded as well. It just does make little sense and I was hoping some of you would have an explanation for it.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 9:13 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: UA 1K, RCC; AA EXP; HH Diamond; CC Gold
There was a thread a while back where Luckycoins experienced something of this nature where he was upgraded ahead of someone else who booked at the same time, same everything else. The other traveler didn't get the upgrade until later and it was speculated that present EQMs for the year might factor into play now. It was speculation, but sounded pretty solid, as it does in this case. YMMV.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 9:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
For the international upgrade, the time of application of the SWU/miles would be the tie-breaker.
For the UDU, the time of purchase would be the tie breaker.

Would be very easy for the order of two passagners on different PNR (or the same PNR) to be different based on the different tie breaker.

Do not understand the "offered mileage upgrade" comment? Anyone can request mileage upgrades.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 6, 2011 at 9:47 pm
Old Jun 6, 2011, 9:49 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
Mrs. EX and I have been 1K for two years now and since we fly together all the time reached the threshold at the same time in those two years. Only this year, because of the earthquake, she is a couple of 10k miles behind me. We are looking at our flight on Thursday and I was upgraded via UDU for the U.S. domestic leg exactly at the 100 hr mark while she was not. Funny, though, she was offered a mileage upgrade for the TPAC segment, while I was not. Just trying to make sense out of it. In both instances there was/is plenty of space in each corresponding cabin.
I'll upgrade you
Old Jun 6, 2011, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
For the international upgrade, the time of application of the SWU/miles would be the tie-breaker.
For the UDU, the time of purchase would be the tie breaker.

Would be very easy for the order of two passagners on different PNR (or the same PNR) to be different based on the different tie breaker.

Do not understand the "offered mileage upgrade" comment? Anyone can request mileage upgrades.
At time of booking, 7 months ago, we could not request mileage upgrade for "L" fare. This came only up yesterday being offered exclusively on Mrs. EX itinerary when clicking the "request upgrade" button. Fare out was "L", fare back was "W". I booked both tickets at the same time, well, actually minutes apart. That should not have made a difference. The UDU was on the "L" leg, no connection to the return on a "W" fare which is three months apart from the 1st leg.

Last edited by Exleftseat; Jun 6, 2011 at 10:03 pm
Old Jun 6, 2011, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by travel.flier

I'm pretty sure the algorithm is widely established. Status, Booking Code, Time on list. It says to me that you probably booked a second or two earlier than her and there was only space to upgrade 1 of you.
Yep happens to us all the time. Both 1K, both same fare buckets, on seperate PNRs.

Whichever of us checks in first and gets first DM card gets upgrade first to clear.

1K is 1K.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 10:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
At time of booking, 7 months ago, we could not request mileage upgrade for "L" fare. This came only up yesterday being offered exclusively on Mrs. EX itinerary when clicking the "request upgrade" button. Fare out was "L", fare back was "W". I booked both tickets at the same time, well, actually minutes apart. That should not have made a difference. The UDU was on the "L" leg, no connection to the return on a "W" fare which is three months apart from the 1st leg.
The presence or lack of mileage as an upgrade option is just an well known online problem -- calling or requesting via phone the option will be be equally available.

As far as a few minutes apart -- when sorted by time that would be a clear difference.

I guess I see nothing strange here at all.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 10:23 pm

Programs: 3 Month Delta Plat, UA PP 2.4mm, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Lifetime Diamond, National EE
I have noticed something in the past 6 months or so. The more UA trips I have ticketed, the faster my upgrades clear. The trips I have booked on CO metal, whether using my 1K number or my CO Plat number, clear even faster. Not sure why, but it has been working for me.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by c502cid
I have noticed something in the past 6 months or so. The more UA trips I have ticketed, the faster my upgrades clear. The trips I have booked on CO metal, whether using my 1K number or my CO Plat number, clear even faster. Not sure why, but it has been working for me.
+1, as a matter of fact CO has always cleared well before the 100 hrs mark. As far as the rest is concerned, let's just leave it as it is, since besides the SWU HKG-SFO that probably will never clear, everything is in fine order. I just thought there was an easy answer. No problems, thanks all for your responses.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 6:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I booked both tickets at the same time, well, actually minutes apart. That should not have made a difference.
But one was actually booked first. "Almost the same time" and actually the same time are two different things. :-:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.