Wiki Posts
Search

Min. Check In Times changing June 15

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2011, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Min. Check In Times changing June 15

Some are going down from 45 min. to 30 min. Interesting that EWR, CLE, IAH are all going UP from 30 to 45 min. Didn't know they were even at 30 minutes before.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6867,2131,00.html

Some interesting numbers, for example, Des Moines, Iowa security wait time says the following:

Peak hours:
5:00 a.m. - 7:00 a.m.

Peak days:
Sunday, Monday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday

Peak line wait:
60 minutes

Off-peak line wait:
20 minutes

60 minutes to get through security in Des Moines during peak times?
Old Jun 6, 2011, 9:53 am

Programs: UA 1MM Plat, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
PHL

Interesting that PHL will be only 30 min. They must have improved security wait times. I remember the line stretching onto to the moving walkways only a few years ago.

Though, I haven't been through PHL in over a year.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 10:23 am

Location: AA Gold/Million Miler,DL dirt,UA1K/Million Miler;Honors Silver,Marriott Gold;Avis Preferred,Hertz Prez Circle, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by schley
Some are going down from 45 min. to 30 min. Interesting that EWR, CLE, IAH are all going UP from 30 to 45 min. Didn't know they were even at 30 minutes before.

Some interesting numbers, for example, Des Moines, Iowa security wait time says the following:

Peak hours:

Peak days:

Peak line wait:
60 minutes

Off-peak line wait:
20 minutes

I believe it- if it's anything like Moline in early morning: all carriers 1st flights out/destinations hubs and always % of people who aren't "travel-prepared" at 6 in the morning. I've waited 40 mins at Moline and that's smaller than DSM.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 10:50 am

Thanks for the notice. CLT dropped from 45 to 30 minutes. We're heading out of CLT on 6/18, so that will give us a bit more time.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 11:06 am

Programs: UA, AA, SPG
SFO seems formatted differently that the rest -- I was curious what the peak waiting times were, since it's such a common gripe in the SFO Premium Lobby thread...
Old Jun 6, 2011, 11:35 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold

Peak hours:

Peak days:

Peak line wait:
60 minutes

Off-peak line wait:
20 minutes

What is the minimum check in time for domestic connecting flights to international flights from IAH, is it 45 minutes or 60 minutes. For example, IAH-EWR-FRA

and for Canadian/International flights; for example IAH-YYZ-MUC.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by hyho61
What is the minimum check in time for domestic connecting flights to international flights from IAH, is it 45 minutes or 60 minutes. For example, IAH-EWR-FRA

and for Canadian/International flights; for example IAH-YYZ-MUC.
If you are able to book it from the website it is a legal connection, although just because it allows you doesn't mean it is a good idea as delays happen more than once a day I hear.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any news on FRA: Min Check-in and min connection times?

Officially the MConnT is 45 mins, but I have read some time ago UA wants (wanted) one hour?
Old Jun 6, 2011, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Any news on FRA: Min Check-in and min connection times?

Officially the MConnT is 45 mins, but I have read some time ago UA wants (wanted) one hour?
This has been chatted about on and off on the Germany board. 45 minutes at FRA is laughable. You can spend more than half that on the shuttle bus from your plane alone, then you need to go through the little corner of hell otherwise known as the "arrivals chute", then if you get stuck with a gate that involves taking the tunnel to the other end of earth, there's no way you'll do it in 45. I've been stuck in the line at Non-Schengen/Schengen for almost that long alone.

A little more doable when leaving for the states, since there isn't a shuttle bus involved you only need to go through security and passport check, when I've done this the lines have generally been short.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milepig
This has been chatted about on and off on the Germany board. 45 minutes at FRA is laughable. You can spend more than half that on the shuttle bus from your plane alone, then you need to go through the little corner of hell otherwise known as the "arrivals chute", then if you get stuck with a gate that involves taking the tunnel to the other end of earth, there's no way you'll do it in 45. I've been stuck in the line at Non-Schengen/Schengen for almost that long alone.

A little more doable when leaving for the states, since there isn't a shuttle bus involved you only need to go through security and passport check, when I've done this the lines have generally been short.
Agree with your assessment. Just wondering what the official UA MCT is and if it might have changed. Would be helpful for upcoming travel planning.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA, AA
I think the minimum check in times are set based on their ability to get your bag to the plane reliably, not your ability to wait in the queue and then get through security reliably.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 2:49 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Doesn't surprise me. Both with the bank of flights referred to and the fact that, at least in the summer when I've flown out of there, there have been lots of inexperienced fliers who aren't up-to-speed on the security stuff.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Agree with your assessment. Just wondering what the official UA MCT is and if it might have changed. Would be helpful for upcoming travel planning.
An "exhaustive" check of UA.com found this bookable connection ORD-FRA-HAM

LH codeshare arriving at 6:50am, connecting to LH 7:35am departure.

That's exactly 45 minutes.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA-Gold MM, SPG Plat
I think the answer is "it depends." If you are coming from the US they are generally shorter. But going Schengen-FRA-USA I think it's closer to 90 minutes.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 9:13 am

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT

Peak hours:

Peak days:

Peak line wait:
60 minutes

Off-peak line wait:
20 minutes

Yes, that happens regularly (but certainly not invariably). DSM and CID are among the most thorough, or leisurely, security lines I have seen, and the different airlines tend to have departures scheduled within 30 minutes of each other, all to hubs. Add to that mix a bunch of infrequent flyers, and the delay mounts up. The TSA folks are super-pleasant, CID (and maybe DSM) offer 3-1-1 bags to those who have forgotten one, but the wait can be long. Of course, everyone's so nice that if you have to cut in line to make your plane, there's no problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.