Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Web support now not allowing ecert on 2-pax itineraries?

Old Jun 3, 2011, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

I just finished my seventh hang-up-and-call-back with web support 1-800-589-5582, and the agents are saying that they cannot apply an ecert to a 2-pax itinerary. (I have status, my wife does not).

Every single agent advised me to book 2 separate itineraries, then they will bump my wife to E+ as she doesn't have status. Is this correct? I'm not worried about UDU, just the fact that they'll do an E+ to E- sweep sometime before travel.

Is this standard procedure now, or should I keep trying with another 7 calls?
Old Jun 3, 2011, 3:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
When I called a couple of weeks ago, they had no problem doing it - they practically insisted on making it a single PNR (though, for upgrade reasons, that's not what I wanted).

Originally Posted by nigelloring
Every single agent advised me to book 2 separate itineraries, then they will bump my wife to E+ as she doesn't have status. Is this correct?
If you have status, you can take anyone with with you regardless of whether they're on the same PNR or not.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA GS 5 MM, Delta 1.6MM & Hilton Diamond, Avis Chairman, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I just finished my seventh hang-up-and-call-back with web support 1-800-589-5582, and the agents are saying that they cannot apply an ecert to a 2-pax itinerary. (I have status, my wife does not).

Every single agent advised me to book 2 separate itineraries, then they will bump my wife to E+ as she doesn't have status. Is this correct? I'm not worried about UDU, just the fact that they'll do an E+ to E- sweep sometime before travel.

Is this standard procedure now, or should I keep trying with another 7 calls?
I've had them do it for my wife and 18 month old son a few times, even last week. Each time they made "a one time exception" since I'm GS. They don't like doing it, and it takes them a while, but they did it.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 3:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
...Is this standard procedure now, ...
The restriction has been standard procedure for along time (clearly stated in T&Cs) -- it is just some web support agents have been willing to do an exception. The process cops may have caught up with this.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA GS 5 MM, Delta 1.6MM & Hilton Diamond, Avis Chairman, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by mahasamatman

If you have status, you can take anyone with with you regardless of whether they're on the same PNR or not.
a bit OT, but is this a published benefit somewhere? I have a flight with my in laws that we happen to be on the same flight since I'm coming home from a business trip. I'm in on an A fare, an they NY award ticket. I asked a GS agent at ORD to move them to E+, they were not able to, however they told me they would get them in E+. An hour or two later, I got an email with the new E+ seats.

I wasn't sure if the GS agents did it "just because" or if it was published somewhere.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 3:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by zambonisk
a bit OT, but is this a published benefit somewhere? I have a flight with my in laws that we happen to be on the same flight since I'm coming home from a business trip. I'm in on an A fare, an they NY award ticket. I asked a GS agent at ORD to move them to E+, they were not able to, however they told me they would get them in E+. An hour or two later, I got an email with the new E+ seats.

I wasn't sure if the GS agents did it "just because" or if it was published somewhere.
this is a GS benefit (all elites can do at least one and does not have to be on same PNR). Only GS can do more than one on a separate PNR when travelling together.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 3:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Only GS can do more than one on a separate PNR when travelling together.
Thanks, I should have been clearer in my first post. I meant literally anyone (which was the OP's situation).
Old Jun 3, 2011, 3:50 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Also, there are some UA e-certs out there that are usually %-off discounts and allow in the Terms & Conditions that the discount may extend to up to X number of others in the same PNR. I've been able to book my non-status spouse into E+ with me using those certs, directly from the website. Those E+ seat assignments also stick.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The restriction has been standard procedure for along time (clearly stated in T&Cs) -- it is just some web support agents have been willing to do an exception. The process cops may have caught up with this.

OK, I am on my tenth call now. Is there a separate 1K web support number? 1K desk just puts me thru to 1-800-589-5582.

Also, should I be concerned about an E+ to E- sweep happening sometime in the next few weeks before travel?

And how about my patter? Any suggestions to improve it?

"Hi, I'm trying to book a reservation online using an e-certificate, but I can't get it to work because the itinerary is for two people. Could you help with that?"

"No, an e-certificate is for 1 passenger only."

"Well I'd like to have the 2 passengers on the same PNR for Economy Plus seating"

"No, sorry"

"OK, thank you." <hangs up and tries again>

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 3, 2011 at 9:40 pm Reason: merge
Old Jun 3, 2011, 4:08 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
OK, I am on my tenth call now. Is there a separate 1K web support number? 1K desk just puts me thru to 1-800-589-5582.

Also, should I be concerned about an E+ to E- sweep happening sometime in the next few weeks before travel?
That's the right number... if you're putting in your MP number, you should be getting the 1K web support agents (that are supposedly different/better; or it could just be that your call will be answered faster).

Try not putting in your MP number and see if you get an agent in a different center that is willing to do this. I find that the agents in India are always more likely to do what I ask than those in Manilla.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

AAARGH! Finally got a web support agent willing to do it on my fifteenth call. My wife is listening to me thinking I'm mad, but then I get success.

And then I find that in the 40 minutes I've spent doing that, the fare has been pulled and is now 50% more expensive!!!!

Back to the fare-watching game for me.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
hmmm. have been able to do this in the past with no issue...was a bit trepidatious to try today, but was able to make the reservation for me (1k) and mr kk (1p) with no problem.

it was no issue despite being a partially co (code-share, but ua flight number) itinerary, and one $200 e-cert on a two pax pnr. agent did initially make noises about putting it on two separate reservations, but i said i wanted it on one and he made a quick call 'to check' and came back reporting he'd be able to do it.

i must say, this agent seemed particularly competent, despite my asking for things that may now be off book. ^

fwiw to to op, i didn't mention e+ or seating. no need to confuse anyone with unnecessary details. might want to omit that from your patter. what's your status with ua?
Old Jun 3, 2011, 10:21 pm

Programs: United 1P; Delta GM; SP Gold; AS MVPG; FPC Premier
2 Pax/2 e-certs/1 PNR?

It sounds like one should be happy lucking into getting 2 pax onto a single PNR using an e-cert. Has anyone tried getting 2 pax onto a single PNR using 2 e-certs? If so, any luck? While it could be nice for UDUs the main reason I'd want to do that would to be sure my minor son or daughter with whom I'm traveling would be on the same PNR in case of flight cancellations. Having been assured "linked PNRs" solve this problem and than having being rebooked on separate flights after a cancellation, I'm wondering if there's any solution to this problem other than not being able to use e-certs (or using a single e-cert if lucky). Thanks for sharing any experiences if you've asked for this before.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 10:27 pm

Programs: United 1P; Delta GM; SP Gold; AS MVPG; FPC Premier
Reason for only 1 pax per PNR when using e-cert

And since this seems like a great thread to discuss the issue, what is the reason for the policy behind only allowing a single passenger on a PNR when an e-cert is used?

Is it a system limitation? If so, then why not just override it when requested?

Is it to make the e-cert less valuable and harder to use? Then why bother issuing the e-cert in the first place. And it doesn't make sense--you'd still be able to book 2 people on the same flight and use the e-cert--it just makes it more difficult to administer your travel plans, check in online, be assured of being on the same flight in the event of cancellations, etc. because you'd just do it on different PNRs.

Other possible reasons...?
Old Jun 3, 2011, 10:34 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by karenkay
hmmm. have been able to do this in the past with no issue....
Ditto. Now you have me scared.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.