Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Web support now not allowing ecert on 2-pax itineraries?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Web support now not allowing ecert on 2-pax itineraries?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2012, 7:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by shaunco
This thread hasn't seen any action in a while, but I just had fantastic success getting a "one time exception" in booking 3 PAX with 3 e-certs on a single PNR via web support. The call went something like:

Agent: Thank you for calling united, how may I help you?
Me: I'm trying to book a flight on the website for three passengers with 3 e-certs, but the website will only let me enter a single e-cert.
Agent: I'm sorry sir, you can only use one e-cert at a time. You will need to make a separate reservation for each passenger.
Me: Oh, I see. The problem is that one of the passengers is my 2yo daughter and the website will not let me book a flight for just her. Would it be possible for you to make a single reservation with me and my daughter on it, and then I'll go to the website to book my wife's ticket on a separate reservation?
Agent: I understand your issue. I will go ahead and make a one time exception and make the reservation for all three of you.
Me: Woohoo! (ok, more like "thank you", haha)

It took him about 10 minutes and a few holds, but we are all booked.

When it came time to give my CC#, I thought I would push my luck and ask about making a partial payment with a gift certificate (an actual gift card, not an e-cert). The GC says "Cannot be used in conjunction with an Electronic Travel Certificate", but I figured it can't hurt to ask. The agent seemed confused and said "but sir, I've already applied three e-certificates to this reservation and you only have three passengers". I explained that it was a GC not an e-cert. He put me on hold to call his support desk. He came back about 2 minutes later and informed me that the GC can only be used on the website, that his system had no place to enter it... Oh well, I still consider this to be the smoothest and most successful UA web support call I've ever had. ^
Nice! Glad you had a decent experience and they let you do it. Did you get the ICC or MCC?
Old May 23, 2012, 11:17 am

Programs: More than I care to have, but never the ones I need.
India call center
Old Jul 28, 2012, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Has anyone tried this lately

Originally Posted by anishub
To the OP, may be your method could be refined a little. The first I found to be working runs like this -

1. Call the regular res line (or 1k line - if u have status) and make a res as usual, citing you have some paper voucher with which you will ticket the res on hold at an airport location.

2. Call web support to do the ticketing with ur eCerts (x2....x6 depending #pax and # of certs)

3. If the agent has no idea abt how to do / refuses, just politely excuse urself and make sure he doesn't do anything to the res, and call back.

I have done this many times for 2 pax for both eCerts and Paper certs.
Have a PMUA ecert for $500.. Called Web Support today and they said that only one pax per e cert is allowed for PMUA e certs. Agent went on and said how nice the new ones are as they allow a residule.. Any thoughts? Thanks and Safe Travels
Old Jul 28, 2012, 3:17 pm

The Fixer

Platinum, 1ks, and GS can have up to 8 companions in different records as long as flight city pairs are same. On the Website yes you must book independently if using any form of what is referred to as ETC Electronic Travel Credit. Through reservations there is a temp work around, but only through Reservations not the Web site. Web Support sometimes has the knowledge of this work around, but they are not consistent. Any questions with these type of issues or Change fee for Domestic/International travel, drop me a line at [email protected], see what we can come up with as cost effective work arounds. Take care Warriors
Old Jul 29, 2012, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Rpari777
Platinum, 1ks, and GS can have up to 8 companions in different records as long as flight city pairs are same. On the Website yes you must book independently if using any form of what is referred to as ETC Electronic Travel Credit. Through reservations there is a temp work around, but only through Reservations not the Web site. Web Support sometimes has the knowledge of this work around, but they are not consistent. Any questions with these type of issues or Change fee for Domestic/International travel, drop me a line at [email protected], see what we can come up with as cost effective work arounds. Take care Warriors
Please PM me with the details on how to use the Ecert through reservations for a 2 pax itinerary. Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.