FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Waitlisted but never made the UG list! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/1221040-waitlisted-but-never-made-ug-list.html)

zigzagg900 May 30, 2011 4:45 pm

Waitlisted but never made the UG list!

This happened before, so you'd think I'd know better. I used a SWU for ORD-LAX. Booked several months back but got waitlisted. When I got to the gate I discovered I wasn't even on the UG list. Went to the RCC. The lady said 23 of 24 F pax had checked in and all were paid F, which I find hard to believe, especially since there were three F seats for sale the day before. I went back to the gate but my name was still not on the board. By this time they had already started boarding.

The lesson is if you're "waitlisted" or "pending" for an UG, that doesn't mean you'll make it on the UG list. Unless you check, you might get an unpleasant surprise at the gate.

itsme May 30, 2011 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by zigzagg900 (Post 16475205)
This happened before, so you'd think I'd know better. I used a SWU for ORD-LAX. Booked several months back but got waitlisted. When I got to the gate I discovered I wasn't even on the UG list. Went to the RCC. The lady said 23 of 24 F pax had checked in and all were paid F, which I find hard to believe, especially since there were three F seats for sale the day before. I went back to the gate but my name was still not on the board. By this time they had already started boarding.

The lesson is if you're "waitlisted" or "pending" for an UG, that doesn't mean you'll make it on the UG list. Unless you check, you might get an unpleasant surprise at the gate.

You've posted to the wrong forum, this one is for MR Deals. (I assume you were you trying to use a CR-1, that is an upgrade instrument good only for domestic travel, not a true SWU, which could be used for international travel.)

BiziBB May 30, 2011 6:31 pm

Please follow this in UA Mileage Plus forum, since it appears to have been misposted in error in Mileage Run Deals.
UA Mods alerted in case this needs to be moved to an appropriate thread.

Cheers,
BiziBB, Moderator Mileage Run

libuser May 30, 2011 8:07 pm

hehe
why hard to believe. I have seen 24 out of 24 paid Fs. : )
Try Vegas during CES. : )

ORDnHKG May 30, 2011 9:38 pm

The lady said 23 of 24 F pax had checked in and all were paid F, which I find hard to believe, especially since there were three F seats for sale the day before.

Unless it is tue/wed mid day or saturday, I don't find that hard to believe at all for 23 paid F pax. ORD-LAX is just like ORD-SFO, often with many paid premium pax, and that's why VX want to get in this two markets.

Three F seats for sale doesn't equal to three F seats still open, airlines often expect no show or misconnect due to whatever reasons. Even it may listed F3, but it doesn't means they are selling 3 F seats either. You won't know the true inventory unless you are one of the UA rep. that has access to their reservation.

notquiteaff May 31, 2011 12:08 am

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG (Post 16476125)

Three F seats for sale doesn't equal to three F seats still open, airlines often expect no show or misconnect due to whatever reasons. Even it may listed F3, but it doesn't means they are selling 3 F seats either. You won't know the true inventory unless you are one of the UA rep. that has access to their reservation.

i always thought conventional wisdom on FT is that UA doesn't oversell F.

And I also thought F3 means that UA is willing to sell 3 F seats. What else would it mean?

MarkedMan May 31, 2011 8:13 am

Back to topic, I had the same issue with a SWU used in connection from an INT to a domestic segment. Waitlisted, did not clear in advance, was not added to the checked in list (did not show Upgrade waitlisted as it normally would on such an itin). Had to call, get the SWU removed from DOM segment and added to list through UDU.

drewguy May 31, 2011 1:15 pm

The lady said 23 of 24 F pax had checked in and all were paid F, which I find hard to believe, especially since there were three F seats for sale the day before.

What is too surprising about selling 2 F tickets in the day before a flight? Someone who really needs a ticket at that point probably isn't too price sensitive.