Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

1P and GM traveling together--Priority Baggage on both?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1P and GM traveling together--Priority Baggage on both?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2011, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Question 1P and GM traveling together--Priority Baggage on both?

Hello Everyone!

If a 1P and GM are on the same PNR, I know they get the same 3 bag allowance...but do they both get "Priority" Baggage Tags?

Thanks for the info!
Old May 23, 2011, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
From my experience, yes, all of the bags will have the priority tag as long as everyone is on the same PNR as you.
Old May 23, 2011, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Plat
IME, each time my GM wife and I have traveled, she has also received the tags. If you need <4 bags total, one thing to consider when you check in is to have all the bags under your name. Then you will be guaranteed.
Old May 23, 2011, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by SFnFlaGuy
I know they get the same 3 bag allowance...
No they don't. GM's (even with 1P/1K/GS) are allowed 2 @ 50# (not 70#) free bags, not 3.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,52649,00.html

• Premier®
• OnePass Silver Elite
Companions traveling on the same reservation as an elite member
• Certain full-fare United Economy tickets within a select set of booking codes
• Continental Airlines Presidential PlusSM primary cardmembers
(allowance =) 2 50 lbs.
Naturally, this would not apply if you are flying in F or C (upgraded or otherwise).
Old May 23, 2011, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
I'm reading it differently. The chart clearly says that, say, a 1K has a 3 bags, 70# a bag allowance. It also says, "If you are part of multiple groups in the chart, the greater allowance will apply."

I also know if you are on the same PNR (up to nine passengers) everyone can have the same allowance as the highest status passenger.
Old May 23, 2011, 5:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by honmani2
It also says, "If you are part of multiple groups in the chart, the greater allowance will apply."
How exactly is a GM part of multiple groups? That clause tells you, for example, that a 1K traveling in F gets the 1K allowance (3 bags), not the F allowance (2 bags). But it most definitely does not apply in this situation.

I also know if you are on the same PNR (up to nine passengers) everyone can have the same allowance as the highest status passenger.
You may have gotten away with it with some agents, but it's not according to the rules.
Old May 23, 2011, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the replies and for pointing out that my companion would get only 2 bags and not 3. (Not that we would check that many bags...but good to know)

At least now I know we will get priority handling for all bags regardless...as long as we are on the same PNR.
Old May 23, 2011, 8:21 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
....I also know if you are on the same PNR (up to nine passengers) everyone can have the same allowance as the highest status passenger.
Next time you check in online with a non-status traveller and checking their bag drop down menu you will see the 2 bag limitation for the non-status traveller. Some airport agents may have done something else (although it is my understanding that is hard for them to override).
Old May 23, 2011, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
IME, companions of the *G do not get priority tags.
Old May 27, 2011, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I am vouch for that - companion get nothing at all...
Old May 27, 2011, 4:04 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
I was thinking it sounds like they have made some changes and they did. Not for the positive either. At least they still have the up to 8 companions baggage benefit but I thought before it was for 3 bags at 70 lbs. I could be mistaken.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:53 am

Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Delta Gold, HH ◊, SPG Gold
Last month at IAD on TATL flight had a friend (no status) checkin with me, linked PNRs and he moved up E+.

UA baggage person refused to put Priority tag on his bag, since no *G on his boarding pass. Waived a UA checkin person over to assist, she said she could see we checked in together and I mentioned the linked PNRs for E+. The baggage person still refused. She asked in baggage person would object if she put the priority tag on his bag, he did not.

I thanked her and we left!
Old Jan 19, 2013, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tkflyer
....I mentioned the linked PNRs for E+. ...
Linked PNRs are a fiction and merely an comment by an agent. (the case of a split PNR is a different situation). In the case of a separate PNRs, the issuing of elite privileges is a curtsey by an an agent and is not company policy. The bag agent was following policy, the ticket agent was extending a curtsey to be graciously accepted and something one can not demand ( or in other terms, is not an entitlement).
Old Jan 27, 2013, 4:43 pm

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Linked PNRs are a fiction and merely an comment by an agent. (the case of a split PNR is a different situation). In the case of a separate PNRs, the issuing of elite privileges is a curtsey by an an agent and is not company policy. The bag agent was following policy, the ticket agent was extending a curtsey to be graciously accepted and something one can not demand ( or in other terms, is not an entitlement).
Slightly off topic, but for two passengers traveling together on separate pnrs, one using miles from my account as a 1K and the other miles from a GM, can they both sit in E+?
Old Jan 27, 2013, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by SFOTurtle
Slightly off topic, but for two passengers traveling together on separate pnrs, one using miles from my account as a 1K and the other miles from a GM, can they both sit in E+?
and not true elite traveling? believe no.
The faux-1K sponsored traveler can but that the other can not The first traveler does not have full elite privileges -- no lounge access, ....
plus even for elites is a a bit of an effort (and not guaranteed) to get someone on a separate PNR in E+

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.