Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Zones are gone, Boarding by row starts 11 May

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Zones are gone, Boarding by row starts 11 May

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2011, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by jspector106
s. An earlier thread talked about uniform military before GS/1K but also children under 4 before GS/1K!
Which is interesting because although i've only flown 4 CO segments, Military were allowed to board with F and Children came after elites on each flight.
Old May 2, 2011, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by fastair
Yup, except the children part. They are after elites, b4 all else regardless of if they are in the front blocking all others, or in the back.
How will elite boarding work? All elites on the red carpet?
Old May 2, 2011, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Another tick in the post-merger negative column for 1ks.

No improvements whatsoever.
Old May 2, 2011, 7:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K(0.7MM) Hilton Gold/La Quinta Gold
Originally Posted by channa
Military, First Class, all Elites, then by row number from the rear of the plane.
So how does that work with the Red Carpet?

Military I can understand via the Blue lane if there are any.

But with 1K/First/Business all on the Red Carpet, how are they going to board First?
Old May 2, 2011, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Glad Little Hobo just showed up! 1K with a kid sounds like the new GS!
Old May 2, 2011, 7:35 pm

Programs: MANY
Just saw this on CNN

The method behind airline row numbers:
http://www.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/05/02....html?hpt=Sbin
Old May 2, 2011, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K SPG Plat HHonors Diamond
I call shenanigans because for one....

Military, First, Elites, Children under 4/5... Then rows...and its been like that always...the op states children after military which I doubt. unless I actually see some proof lol

BTW op has 20 posts. Think he's just trying for a reaction from you guys.
Old May 2, 2011, 8:17 pm

Programs: 1K on UA, Platinum on CO
Originally Posted by channa
I'm surprised by this. CO takes 35 minutes to board a 737, and 40-45 minutes to board a 757 (compared to 30 minutes for UA).

I always thought this inefficiency was a result of CO's lack of zoned boarding.
I think it is - there is a research article online that shows there is not much difference but back to front is the most inefficient.

I just don't know why we keep getting saddled with the worst of CO - we seem to be getting all of their old outdated things policy, globes, etc.
Old May 2, 2011, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Dr_Adventure
I think it is - there is a research article online that shows there is not much difference but back to front is the most inefficient.

I just don't know why we keep getting saddled with the worst of CO - we seem to be getting all of their old outdated things policy, globes, etc.

There could be something else driving this. Perhaps even a system limitation. CO's systems may not be setup to do the zoned boarding, and CO's systems are the ones that are being kept.

Not that it's a challenge that couldn't be overcome, but with the hundreds of other things to do in a merger, getting a big 1 to print on a boarding pass may not be a priority.
Old May 2, 2011, 8:24 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I've seen them board families with children and those needing additional time before anybody else gets on board, before the elites.

guess that's a double shenanigans

The boarding order doesn't really matter. The experience of the people boarding is what matters. Get a plane full of business people and people who travel more than once a year to go see the mouse, you will board in half the time of the saturday flights to Florida.

Walk on, put your carry on wheels first over your seat and sit down will always be faster than walk in, make rude comments to the elites who got on before you, stand in the aisle, put all your stuff on your seat, try your carry on in the five configurations it can't fit until you get it in the one it can, realize you forgot your something or other, bring it back down, make faces at people squeezing by, and repeat with the other two bags you brought on board, no matter which order they call first.
Old May 2, 2011, 8:29 pm

Programs: 3 Month Delta Plat, UA PP 2.4mm, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Lifetime Diamond, National EE
The GA today in SFO told me that children will indeed be boarding before elites. He told me the effective date but I was too busy trying to get inside the red carpet to hear him
Old May 2, 2011, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Dr_Adventure

The worst has yet to come, folks.

So far nearly all "changes" are negative to UA 1Ks. That is indisputable.

At least I have warned this board.

SMI/J and CO are bringing the worst of CO to the new UNITED.
Old May 2, 2011, 8:38 pm

Programs: 1K on UA, Platinum on CO
Is that true that all CO systems are staying and UA's are going away? What about look of the website? God I hope we don't get stuck with CO's clunk and chunk model.
Old May 2, 2011, 8:39 pm

Let's see what sfogate says...

I buy the systems limitation issue.

But wonder in the communication to staff whether they will reinforce the policy used (not consistently) on elite heavy flights under CO -- which is to board by elite level.

Should be fun to watch...

I'm guessing the Smisek test was 'well all 1Ks and GS are in first already right' -- or at least bought up there...

And UA agents may not be happy if this is slower -- equals less chance of getting the on-time bonus.
Old May 2, 2011, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by c502cid
The GA today in SFO told me that children will indeed be boarding before elites. He told me the effective date but I was too busy trying to get inside the red carpet to hear him
I don't think I've ever had a mainline CO flight where they boarded children before elites. They've said things like, "if you need special assistance, please come to the podium".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.