Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Zones are gone, Boarding by row starts 11 May

Zones are gone, Boarding by row starts 11 May

Old May 3, 11, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by FightingIlliniUAL View Post
Ugghhh. go away SMI/J
Yes, go away! And take those pesky kids <4 with you. Next thing you know they will be playing on my red carpet! I want red carpet all to myself!
Old May 3, 11, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K (2MM)
I HATE the CO Elite Access boarding where EVERYONE elite has boarding on the lane... I like the UA boarding right now at least as it goes for F, GS, 1K, then C, I don't care about rows, my honest opinion would be to have more zones.

Zone 7 aisle first half
Zone 6 middles first half
Zone 5 windows first half
Zone 4 aisle back half of the plane
Zone 3 middles back half of the plane
Zone 2 windows back half of the plane
Zone 1 Elites
First, GS, 1K and C if needed.

If people don't make it in time for their boarding and they aren't elite, they miss their boarding window, so if zone 2 or 3 are late they can't board again until after zone 5 is called, and if zone 5 or 6 are late, they can't board until after zone 7 has been called...

The goal is just to stop the bottle necks and encourage people to get on the plane when the boarding zone is called if they want any chance to get their bags up, make sure the FAs are making sure the people in back are putting their bags in their section only
Old May 3, 11, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1MM
Originally Posted by boolean64 View Post
Well for 1Ps it depends. The ability to use the red carpet after boarding has started is an increased benefit. But for 1Ps who are there when boarding starts, they have the same challenge that 1Ks do in terms of having no advantage over 2Ps for getting on the plane to secure overhead bin space.

I'd be just fine with letting 1Ps and 2Ps use the red carpet after boarding has started. What I find preposterous is the idea that all elites will be invited to board at the same time when boarding starts. This takes away a key differentiator and benefit for 1Ks and 1Ps
As a 1P, I don't really care whether I board on the red carpet or the blue one. What matters most to me is to have access to overhead storage in very close proximity to my row. I always fly in Y, I like bulkhead seats and never bring more than one regulation-complient carry on. With the current system, I make a point of lining up early, near the blue carpet, to make sure I get first crack at the overhead bin above my seat. I can't begin to tell you how often I've witnessed other passengers dump bags or strollers above my row and then proceed to the back of the plane. Not fair to the other passengers who have seats near the door! In my experience, parents with strollers tend to be the worse offenders. 1Ks are very experienced travelers and, generally, board very smoothly; I really don't mind if I board after them. Military? I never seem to see many of them, so I don't see it as an issue. But infrequent flyers and families who bring the kitchen sink with them? I see a lot of them, all the time. In my mind, elite status gives an indication of how experienced you are with the process; the more time you've spent on a plane, the more considerate you tend to be toward other travelers.
Old May 3, 11, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by laginibre View Post
the more time you've spent on a plane, the more considerate you tend to be toward other travelers.
I was totally agreeing with you up to this point.
I take it you havent read all the DYKWIA elite stories around here?
Old May 3, 11, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JeffS View Post
There are just not that many military traveling in uniform on any given flight to worry about them going in front. On my four CO flights last week there was a grand total of zero.
The change for uniformed military will have minimal impact unless you are flying into or out of an airport near a large military base.

As a 1P, I don't really care whether I board on the red carpet or the blue one. What matters most to me is to have access to overhead storage in very close proximity to my row. I always fly in Y, I like bulkhead seats and never bring more than one regulation-complient carry on. With the current system, I make a point of lining up early, near the blue carpet, to make sure I get first crack at the overhead bin above my seat. I can't begin to tell you how often I've witnessed other passengers dump bags or strollers above my row and then proceed to the back of the plane. Not fair to the other passengers who have seats near the door! In my experience, parents with strollers tend to be the worse offenders.
If this change is in fact instituted, one of two things will happen. It will either be a change of no consequence, or it will be a total Cluster F and UA will be inundated with complaints.

I'm betting it will be the latter.
Old May 3, 11, 5:06 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
The clear best approach - keep the UA process, just allow all elites to board on the red/blue carpet. Allows a steady, measured flow of elites onto the A/C, saves panicked elites who show up 10-15 min into boarding and are stuck in a huge line.
+1.
Old May 3, 11, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA EXP, Marriott Plat
The biggest gripe I have with this is putting all the elites together. If you ever fly into SFO, DEN, or IAD you will likely have some pretty elite-heavy flights. Splitting out the GS/1K's and then the 1P/2P's would work much better (I am not at all biased here ), and on a flight of 50-70 elites does make a difference. Don't care at all about the red carpet, think its great to have military board first, and have no issue with kids or handicapped going right before or after elites.
Old May 3, 11, 5:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
The clear best approach - keep the UA process, just allow all elites to board on the red/blue carpet. Allows a steady, measured flow of elites onto the A/C, saves panicked elites who show up 10-15 min into boarding and are stuck in a huge line.

But this makes too much sense...
I might actually agree with you for the first time since you joined us

Pre board GS / 1K / etc with F / C and then use the same Red/Blue carpet after that for all elites.

Although the row numbers vs. zones doesn't really make a difference after that.
Old May 3, 11, 5:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
Here's how it should work:

1) Military
2) First on Blue Carpet
3) Regular Lane Special Needs except on flights to and from Florida where special needs comes last.
Jetway door should be closed. Pause until special needs are settled. Door then reopened.
4) Blue Carpet Boarding for C (if applicable)
5) Blue Carpet Boarding for GS/Pres Plat
6) Blue Carpet Boarding for 1K/Plat
7) Blue Carpet Boarding for Gold, 1P, * Gold
8) Blue Carpet Boarding for Silver, 2P, * Silver
9) Rear to front of peasant class by rows.
10) Special needs on Florida flights.
Old May 3, 11, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat., NEXUS, Amex, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by gawhite411 View Post

1) Military
2) First on Red Carpet
3) Regular Lane Special Needs except on flights to and from Florida where special needs comes last.
Jetway door should be closed. Pause until special needs are settled. Door then reopened.
4) Red Carpet Boarding for C (if applicable)
5) Red Carpet Boarding for GS/Pres Plat
6) Red Carpet Boarding for 1K/Plat
7) Red Carpet Boarding for Gold, 1P, * Gold
8) Red Carpet Boarding for Silver, 2P, * Silver
I disagree with your method of boarding. GS should be the first to board, not the fourth group.

Your setup also sounds like it will take longer, especially if they shut the door after boarding two groups.

btw, fixed it for you.
Old May 3, 11, 5:50 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by gawhite411 View Post

1) Military
2) First on Blue Carpet
4) Blue Carpet Boarding for C (if applicable)
5) Blue Carpet Boarding for GS/Pres Plat
6) Blue Carpet Boarding for 1K/Plat
7) Blue Carpet Boarding for Gold, 1P, * Gold
8) Blue Carpet Boarding for Silver, 2P, * Silver
No.
For so many reasons.
Old May 3, 11, 6:01 pm

What matters most to me is to have access to overhead storage in very close proximity to my row.
Exactly. And with the CO system in place, there is a significantly increased possibility that a 2P will get on the plane before you and store his stuff above your seat.
Old May 3, 11, 6:08 pm

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
Given how many elites the old UA has (just look at the number of views/posts in this forum alone compared to other airlines and even compared to CO) it would be INSANE to board all elites at the same time. I've seen this mess at CO when all elites board at the same time. I think that all elites should board using the red/blue carpet but by status level (as a policy). If there are not a lot of elites, the three+ groups can be combined into one group.

I am not even thinking about bin space here... all elites will get bin space either way, but the stampede that happens when all elites board at the same time on elite-heavy flights is crazy.

I think the zones system is more flexible. You can add and remove a zone with a certain group of people as you see fit and they won't know it, and those behind them won't know it. It's also easier on int'l flights as someone (I think fastair) has pointed out.
Old May 3, 11, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies View Post
It would be interesting to see how long it would take to board the 753 with seating zones. As that has not been done, you can not claim that it will always take 40 minutes to board.
I said it takes nearly 40 minutes sometimes it's less sometimes it's more. I've worked plenty of 757-300 flights to knw tht it takes about 40 minutes to board a full 757-300. I'd like to see the UA method try and board a fully loaded 757-300 in 20 minutes and see how it works out and to prove my point the next time I wrk a 757-300 flight I'll time the boarding from beginning to end and I can guarantee you boarding will take longer thn 20 minutes.
Old May 3, 11, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat., NEXUS, Amex, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Palal View Post
Given how many elites the old UA has (just look at the number of views/posts in this forum alone compared to other airlines and even compared to CO) it would be INSANE to board all elites at the same time. I've seen this mess at CO when all elites board at the same time. I think that all elites should board using the red/blue carpet but by status level (as a policy). If there are not a lot of elites, the three+ groups can be combined into one group.

I am not even thinking about bin space here... all elites will get bin space either way, but the stampede that happens when all elites board at the same time on elite-heavy flights is crazy.

I think the zones system is more flexible. You can add and remove a zone with a certain group of people as you see fit and they won't know it, and those behind them won't know it. It's also easier on int'l flights as someone (I think fastair) has pointed out.
If only $mi$ek would listen to the people that deal with this on a daily basis, rather than coming up with a policy that won't affect him.

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28 View Post
I said it takes nearly 40 minutes sometimes it's less sometimes it's more. I've worked plenty of 757-300 flights to knw tht it takes about 40 minutes to board a full 757-300. I'd like to see the UA method try and board a fully loaded 757-300 in 20 minutes and see how it works out and to prove my point the next time I wrk a 757-300 flight I'll time the boarding from beginning to end and I can guarantee you boarding will take longer thn 20 minutes.
Uh... I said I would like to see the current boarding method applied to a 753. You timing the boarding process of the 753 is irrelevant.

Last edited by FriendlySkies; May 3, 11 at 6:22 pm

Search this Thread