Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Zones are gone, Boarding by row starts 11 May

Zones are gone, Boarding by row starts 11 May

Old May 3, 11, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA1K .455 MM, Hilton and Marriott Gold
I only saw it mentioned once back on page 2 or 3, but a lot of research has been done on how to most quickly load a plane (I will go hunt down some links in a minute).

In short, the findings determined that it was best to go from back-to-front and windows-to-aisle in phases. As in, back 1/3 of window seats is group 1, back 1/3 of middle seats and middle 1/3 of window seats is group 2, back 1/3 of aisle seats, middle 1/3 of middle seats, and front 1/3 of window seats is group 3, etc.

(Edit: appears some math dude got bored in 2008 and developed a computer model that had an even quicker way...though it was only a computer model and not tested with real people)

Now, the authors of the research did also stay real world and state that boarding 1st/business class/super elite passangers first would only marginally slow down boarding and that using the above mentioned method was still the fastest, even with elites boarding first.

As to the military boarding first, please let them. These individuals are protecting our country and without their service and sacrifice over the last 235+ years, we would not have the USA, let alone United to fly on and to gripe about boarding priority.

Last edited by BigBossman; May 3, 11 at 12:58 pm
Old May 3, 11, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by mh3265a View Post
I've seen UA load a completely full 757 in 20-25 mins out of IAD and LAX numerous times.
Perhaps you missed the fact tht it was a 757-300 which is longer and takes a bit longer to board especially with everyone wanting to bring more carry-ons now a days. You try boarding a fully loaded 757-300 in 20-25
minutes and see how it does. Everytime I've had a 757-300 on my trip pairings it's taking nearly 40 minutes to board.
Old May 3, 11, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat., NEXUS, Amex, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28 View Post
Perhaps you missed the fact tht it was a 757-300 which is longer and takes a bit longer to board especially with everyone wanting to bring more carry-ons now a days. You try boarding a fully loaded 757-300 in 20-25
minutes and see how it does. Everytime I've had a 757-300 on my trip pairings it's taking nearly 40 minutes to board.
It would be interesting to see how long it would take to board the 753 with seating zones. As that has not been done, you can not claim that it will always take 40 minutes to board.
Old May 3, 11, 1:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by todorovic View Post
How is the access to the red/blue carpet going to help in case of a tight connection? If you make it to the gate before the doors are closed you will get on the plane regardless of the path you take to get there. By that time the bins are already going to be full if the flight is close to sold out so no big difference there either.
If I board half-way through the process - after all the elites and during the non-elite portion - I stand a very good chance of still getting my bag in an overhead. If I'm stuck behind all those non-elites that chance diminishes greatly. Believe it or not the elites don't consume all the bin space so there is nearly always room unless I'm at the tail end of boarding (though it does vary by aircraft).

Originally Posted by channa View Post
Huh? UA splits it up a bit, so it's a bit more sane on heavy Elite flights.
I never said they all had to be invited to board at the same time, just that they all are boarded before the non-elites. I don't really think that moving the 1K population from the first group to the second is going to make much of a difference at all in the overall amount of time required for loading the elites onto the plane. That's really what we're talking about, right?
Old May 3, 11, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
I don't really think that moving the 1K population from the first group to the second is going to make much of a difference at all in the overall amount of time required for loading the elites onto the plane. That's really what we're talking about, right?
Not at all. We're talking about battling for overhead bin space close to your seat. If you're a 1K, you only have to fight it out with other 1Ks and GS to get on the plane early. If half the plane is scrumming at the same time, the chances of you getting onboard in time to get your luggage stored close to you is dramatically lowered.

If it is indeed all elites at the same time (and how can it not be...it's what CO does now and well they're perfect) this is a material downgrade in benefits ti 1Ks (and 1Ps).

Meanwhile, the other thing that's being overlooked is the increased amount of time allotted to boarding. If you want to be first on the plane, you're going to have to sit on the plane an extra 5-25 minutes. That is a big deal too. Sitting on a ghetto 767 for 65 minutes before pushing back?!?! Horrendous.
Old May 3, 11, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer View Post
I agree entirely with this analysis (and fastair and I rarely agree). The basis is sound, and the logic is beyond dispute.

While people can certainly believe that the airline should let uniformed military personnel board first, saying that anyone who disagrees with the policy must have big problems, or something similar to that statement, is simply laughable.
Much of my statement was based not around whether you agree or disagree with the policy but rather letting uniformed personnel board first is probably down at the bottom of the list of potential reasons a premium repeat flier may bolt from UA/CO. In 4 years of heavy travel I can count on my two hands the number of uniformed personnel I have seen preboard. For the sake of averages maybe 1 out of every 20 flights you take will have one person in uniform board first and seldom will there be any more than 2 or 3 on a flight.

I think if anything a repeat premium customer will be more likely to bolt based on the outcome of many of the issues that have been thrown around these boards (2 class vs. 3 class, F catering/service, where will E+ come from on CO aircraft, IFE, etc) rather than being number 4 to board instead of their normal 1 or 2.
Old May 3, 11, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Halo117 View Post
You are correct. there is a study.http://leeds-faculty.colorado.edu/va...g/boarding.htm

The thing is open seating which is not apart of the study is actually the fastest where as with any assigned seating there is no benefit over the methods is you are boarding a full plane.

Now I don't get why CO doesn't go by elite status, but saying that boarding by rows is outdated is a stretch. I'll chalk this up to UA folks thinking the sky is falling. For those of you who wanted the merger we all knew CO would be calling the shots.
You mean you did a search and found a study or did you have this bookmarked?
Old May 3, 11, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Hertz 5*, National Executive, Hyatt DSC, HHonors/SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG PLT
STUPID, STUPID, STUPID. While United certainly pads it schedules, I believe that its efficient boarding process is a large part of its recent on-time success. Further, I like the fact that elites get preference, in order of status. If all elites board on the red carpet, this is going to be a cluster****. The red carpet is extremely valuable not only for priority boarding, but the ability to board at anytime in the boarding process ahead of the kettles. I hope that will at least still be the case.STUPID, STUPID, STUPID. I guess I'll write into 1KVoice with my displeasure once this actually becomes reality/confirmed, because I feel it is worthy enough to do so. Hopefully the new UA listens to us like the old UA did when we all felt strongly enough about something.
Old May 3, 11, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K / CO PLT
Whatever whoever says, this 1K is not happy about this change.
Old May 3, 11, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by boolean64 View Post
If it is indeed all elites at the same time (and how can it not be...it's what CO does now and well they're perfect) this is a material downgrade in benefits ti 1Ks (and 1Ps).
With respect to continuous boarding, 1Ps actually do better this way. 1Ps are out of luck if they are not standing at the ready when Star Gold/1Ps are called. Agree that expanding carpet boarding is essentially reducing 1K/GS benefits, but it will serve to expand 1P and 2P privileges under certain circumstances to be balanced.

Safe Travels
Old May 3, 11, 2:52 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K, AA EXP, Bonbon Plat, Omni Black, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by jspector106 View Post
I just heard that UA will be adopting CO boarding procedures and lose the boarding by zones. An earlier thread talked about uniform military before GS/1K but also children under 4 before GS/1K!

I believe it starts on May 11.
Originally Posted by channa View Post
Military, First Class, all Elites, then by row number from the rear of the plane.
This is truly awful. United's boarding process is totally sane and very efficient - this is taking a blow torch to such sanity.
Old May 3, 11, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1KMM, Hyatt Explorist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
The clear best approach - keep the UA process, just allow all elites to board on the red/blue carpet. Allows a steady, measured flow of elites onto the A/C, saves panicked elites who show up 10-15 min into boarding and are stuck in a huge line.

But this makes too much sense...
Old May 3, 11, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
The clear best approach - keep the UA process, just allow all elites to board on the red/blue carpet. Allows a steady, measured flow of elites onto the A/C, saves panicked elites who show up 10-15 min into boarding and are stuck in a huge line.

But this makes too much sense...
Sensible and balanced to my mind.

Safe Travels
Old May 3, 11, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually the 1st ones to board are those who need help in boarding, the wheelchaired passengers etc

As for Elites it should be done Level by Level, otherwise by allowing everyone at once they are basically saying a 1k and a 3P are the same in our eyes.
Old May 3, 11, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by GTITAN View Post
With respect to continuous boarding, 1Ps actually do better this way. 1Ps are out of luck if they are not standing at the ready when Star Gold/1Ps are called. Agree that expanding carpet boarding is essentially reducing 1K/GS benefits, but it will serve to expand 1P and 2P privileges under certain circumstances to be balanced.

Safe Travels
Well for 1Ps it depends. The ability to use the red carpet after boarding has started is an increased benefit. But for 1Ps who are there when boarding starts, they have the same challenge that 1Ks do in terms of having no advantage over 2Ps for getting on the plane to secure overhead bin space.

I'd be just fine with letting 1Ps and 2Ps use the red carpet after boarding has started. What I find preposterous is the idea that all elites will be invited to board at the same time when boarding starts. This takes away a key differentiator and benefit for 1Ks and 1Ps

Search this Thread