Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Zones are gone, Boarding by row starts 11 May

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Zones are gone, Boarding by row starts 11 May

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2011, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
The short answer is yes. The long answer is, not if they have elite status, or are traveling with someone who does, or in the military, etc.
This may finally explain the "Reserved for Economy Plus" tags that exist below the overhead bins.

-RM
Old May 24, 2011, 7:13 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
This may finally explain the "Reserved for Economy Plus" tags that exist below the overhead bins.

-RM
Like that stopped people! Sort of like putting "Do Not Duplicate" on a key.

It just dawned on me this past weekend as I watched the Travel Channel's 'Vegas' programming all day Saturday...They did a thing on comps. To me, it parallels the whole 1K/GS versus everyone else.

I enjoy gambling. My dad enjoys gambling. While I see the airline thing from the top looking down, when it comes to gambling, I see it from the middle/lower end...Call my dad a GS in the gambling world, maybe a 1K...I'm just a lowly 2P.

I play enough to get 'free' nights when I go out to Vegas, have some 'elite' benefits like maybe a meal paid while I'm there, upgraded to a suite if there's availability when I check in...My level of benefits is indicative of my play.

My dad, however, plays quite a bit bigger stakes than I do. He gets picked up in a limo, he gets a suite reserved for him (no worrying about upgrades, and the suite is much nicer than anything I'll ever get), he gets all of his meals paid, and even gets his airfare reimbursed. He got tickets to see a very hot show, 4 of them. I went, but not because of my play, I was one of his 'companion upgrades' on that trip...I've never been given tickets to one show.

Do I feel slighted because he gets 'treated better' than I do?!?!?! Hell no. He has the 'red carpet' to board on...I don't. I know if I played like he did, I too would get that treatment. But they reward his business to them by giving him more, better perks than what they give me--because he 'flies them' more than I do.

When the year is over, there's a good chance that I, despite my much smaller play, may have won more than my dad. There have been years I've lost more than him. There have been years I've won more than him, years where we both won, years where we both lost. But it comes down to giving the best perks to the best customers and realizing that everyone isn't a high roller. I enjoy my benefits, but I know I'm not entitled to everything that others may be entitled to, and I'm fine with that.

Last edited by MBS MillionMiler; May 24, 2011 at 7:32 pm
Old May 24, 2011, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
This is just a mess, most if not all of E+ had to gate check the other day... LAME!
Old May 24, 2011, 8:24 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by MBS PremExec
Like that stopped people! Sort of like putting "Do Not Duplicate" on a key.

It just dawned on me this past weekend as I watched the Travel Channel's 'Vegas' programming all day Saturday...They did a thing on comps. To me, it parallels the whole 1K/GS versus everyone else.

I enjoy gambling. My dad enjoys gambling. While I see the airline thing from the top looking down, when it comes to gambling, I see it from the middle/lower end...Call my dad a GS in the gambling world, maybe a 1K...I'm just a lowly 2P.

I play enough to get 'free' nights when I go out to Vegas, have some 'elite' benefits like maybe a meal paid while I'm there, upgraded to a suite if there's availability when I check in...My level of benefits is indicative of my play.

My dad, however, plays quite a bit bigger stakes than I do. He gets picked up in a limo, he gets a suite reserved for him (no worrying about upgrades, and the suite is much nicer than anything I'll ever get), he gets all of his meals paid, and even gets his airfare reimbursed. He got tickets to see a very hot show, 4 of them. I went, but not because of my play, I was one of his 'companion upgrades' on that trip...I've never been given tickets to one show.

Do I feel slighted because he gets 'treated better' than I do?!?!?! Hell no. He has the 'red carpet' to board on...I don't. I know if I played like he did, I too would get that treatment. But they reward his business to them by giving him more, better perks than what they give me--because he 'flies them' more than I do.

When the year is over, there's a good chance that I, despite my much smaller play, may have won more than my dad. There have been years I've lost more than him. There have been years I've won more than him, years where we both won, years where we both lost. But it comes down to giving the best perks to the best customers and realizing that everyone isn't a high roller. I enjoy my benefits, but I know I'm not entitled to everything that others may be entitled to, and I'm fine with that.
Great analogy and I think you are probably right. That said, I think airlines actually do a nicer job at comping people than Vegas. Given the PMs I've gotten I think there are a lot of people that sacrifice their family life for the status. That is probably as true in Frequent Flyer land as it is in Vegas.
Old May 24, 2011, 8:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by UAL4life
This is just a mess, most if not all of E+ had to gate check the other day... LAME!
So few, if any, of the people in E+ were elites?

If you're going to make up lies, you may as well make up believable ones.
Old May 24, 2011, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer

What's not believable about elites in E+ waiting til the end of the boarding process to hit the gate? Sure they can cut a few on the carpet, but may be stuck behind others in the jet bridge.
Old May 24, 2011, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
+1

IMO, this could make pax decide to not pay for E+. I would not want to pay for E+, and then have to gate check my carry on.
Old May 24, 2011, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
+1

IMO, this could make pax decide to not pay for E+. I would not want to pay for E+, and then have to gate check my carry on.
It's more likely to make them hate UA, because they won't understand why they were forced to check their bags. And will likely leave their valuables in the bag when it's sent down, also causing loss and more annoyance with UA.
Old May 24, 2011, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Just received a reply from the 1K desk (and it's a non-template reply!) Looks promising for now!

Dear nov11:

I am sorry to learn of your disappointment with our new boarding announcement.

As part of our United and Continental’s integration of products and services, as of May 11, 2011, our airport agents should be boarding global services, First Class, 1K, Continental Presidential Platinum and Platinum passengers, followed by Business class then Premier Executive with Premier members only if the elite members comprise less than 50 percent of cabin. When elite members comprise more than 50 percent of cabin, we will board the flight based on the following sequence: Premier Executive, Star Alliance Gold, Premiers and Star Alliance Silver. I apologize if this was not the case on your recent flights with us. Mr. Foo, you are our "road warrior" and your feedback is very valuable to our Senior management especially in this coming year where we are making strides in bringing out the best of both airlines to create a very special one. Without your help, and guidance, we don't know what we are doing wrong. Please know our leadership team routinely reviews business policies that negatively impact our customer’s perception, and on many occasions has resulted in us making changes that benefit you, our customer.

Mr. Foo as a 1K member, you are one of our most valuable customers. We're grateful for your loyalty and look forward to the continued privilege of serving you.

Regards,

UA CSR
United Airlines Customer Relations
Old May 24, 2011, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K AA EXP
With all the talk about the new UA boarding process and the issues, DAL Dallas Love Field has a unique solution to boarding. They have THREE lanes. Yes THREE! For all those have trouble with the two lanes, three just make it more fun! It goes like this, one lane with blue carpet for CO Elites, one lane for Continental General Boarding, and one lane for ALL United. GS, 1K, and kettles all use the same lane with no red carpet. And Continental Express also flys to Denver and not UA according to the computer screens at DAL.

Here is DAL THREE boarding lanes and process.
http://youtu.be/dSQYc7qb6Ns?hd=1
Ok, before anyone blows a gasket. United does not have a gates at DAL, plus UA and CO use two different computer systems right now. So UA has a little podium and thus the need for three lanes. Also all DAL computers are on CO machines and counters so all flights listed under Continental Express.

Last edited by CO777DAL; May 25, 2011 at 1:13 am
Old May 25, 2011, 3:25 am

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer

LOL Lies? Barely any elites boarded into E+, I think most of the elites were upgraded. Some opups to E+ from E- too.

You FAIL to realize that E+ would have been long announced gone if E+ was only utilized by elites, and not getting sold... get your head out of your small little world and smell the roses, the hub to hub flights are not the only flights in the system lol.

Last edited by UAL4life; May 25, 2011 at 3:31 am
Old May 25, 2011, 7:43 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines, CO Emeritus, United kettle, Ural Airlines Wings, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by njcommodore
Why, what's the rush? Who cares if you get on 10th or 30th or 50th? You'll still be on before a majority of the plane with plenty of overhead bin space. It cracks me up how many pages this thread is and how many 1Ks are bothered by the "lesser" elites boarding with them. If I understand the UA system correctly, if you did not board with F/GS/1K, the red carpet was closed. In my 5 segments in the last week (4 UA and 1 CO), I've been there at the beginning, middle and end of boarding and been able to come on via the red/blue carpet. That's a change I like.
Seriously.... Its a non issue, and an improvement in some ways. Part of this is just that no one likes change, and some UA people feel like they lost their airline. (legitimately) (BTW The UA red carpet was in response to CO to begin with. )
Old May 25, 2011, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Just boarded DEN-SEA, and was pleased to hear the FAs enforcing the bins for E+. Obviously, some people do not listen, but they seem to have kept the pax in the last rows from dumping their bags in row 10, and then continuing to row 25.. If row boarding is going to stay, I really do hope that the FAs continue to enforce this.
Old May 25, 2011, 8:28 am

Programs: UA GS, Alaska MVP 50, Marriott 100 night, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Completely agree. I paid extra to fly my girlfriend (no status) E+. She was the last to board due to the new boarding and had to check her bags. When she made a comment to the United gate team that this didn't seem fair, she got a snide comment back from the gate people. Never paying for E+ again.
Old May 25, 2011, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Derrico
Seriously.... Its a non issue, and an improvement in some ways. Part of this is just that no one likes change, and some UA people feel like they lost their airline. (legitimately) (BTW The UA red carpet was in response to CO to begin with. )
Change is not necessarily the problem. Loss of benefits is more like it. But as a CO emeritus you haven't lost anything. Have you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.