Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Is United Cutting back on domestic first class services?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2011, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks to my elite status in UA, I get upgraded to first class on my domestic flights in United.

Off late, I couldn't help notice that they have cut back on the food service (Breakfast and Dinners). I am sure they used to provide food on these segments last year but something has changed since than.

Has anybody else seen or heard anything?
Old Apr 21, 2011, 10:56 am

Programs: UA 1K/1.5MM, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by lifescool
Thanks to my elite status in UA, I get upgraded to first class on my domestic flights in United.

Off late, I couldn't help notice that they have cut back on the food service (Breakfast and Dinners). I am sure they used to provide food on these segments last year but something has changed since than.

Has anybody else seen or heard anything?
Your post is very generic, without any specifics to routes, etc. I've noticed food service definitely increase in quality and frequency - UA now even servers meals on the red-eye flights - which was never the case before. You even get a snackbox on longer regional exPlus flights.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:02 am

Programs: UA1K, AA Platinum, Hyatt Gold
If anything the food has improved since SMI/J has come onboard. I've flown about 40K miles so far this year and those damn chocolate chip cookies are killing my waistline!

So far I see the food as the only positive since the merger.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
Food choices depend upon the time of departure. I've been pleased with the offerings thus far this year - that spicy tortilla soup was pretty good.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
My observation is the opposite to that of OP. On many flights, where previously one would occasionally receive a bag of snack mix, one is now offered a deli plate, and at the right time of day a full meal.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA1K, AA Platinum, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by fzwinter
Food choices depend upon the time of departure. I've been pleased with the offerings thus far this year - that spicy tortilla soup was pretty good.
Agreed... and much better than the mushroom soup!

Just wish they would change up the chicken pasta salad up a bit.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
I agree that the food offerings have been getting a bit better in domestic first. I enjoyed the caprese sandwich I got as a snack on a late flight.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Marriott Silver, and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by EncinoMan
Agreed... and much better than the mushroom soup!

Just wish they would change up the chicken pasta salad up a bit.
+1 The food that I have had so far this year has been better overall than last year.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
Not only has the food quality improved (it could not have declined any more!!), the portion size has increased...lunches especially with the soup and large salads. The snack basket is very nice as well...they had the packaged apples the other day and little containers of caramel...much better than the cookies IMHO.

On the other hand, they are cutting back on the amount of beverages on a flight...according to an FA on the SFO-MCO this week, they are only providing two cans of Heineken for the transcon...and this has to last for the return flight to SFO as well!!...no beer for breakfast As a matter of fact, on my return flight to ORD, catering did not board enough meals from the originating station the previous evening, so there were not enough breakfasts to go around...and no BOB in Y at all...on a 5 hour flight!!
Old Apr 21, 2011, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I've noticed that several of the snack basket items have gotten healthier ^ As far as the meals, I hope the UA does not adapt the CO practices of only offering a bag of peanuts on a two hour flight. FS-Mom flew in BusinessFirst from IAH-DEN. Flight left at 8pm, and on-board, she was only served one bag of peanuts...
Old Apr 21, 2011, 5:18 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
I took the redeye from SAN to IAD last weekend and was impressed by the service and the meal. The FA was terrific. LOVED, loved, loved the mushroom soup, and the hot turkey and cheese sandwich was pretty good too. There was no dessert.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
still only snackbox love on UX.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
There are flights used to be only have packet of snack mix, now it has snack basket.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by EncinoMan
If anything the food has improved since SMI/J has come onboard. I've flown about 40K miles so far this year and those damn chocolate chip cookies are killing my waistline!

So far I see the food as the only positive since the merger.
Agreed, the food has improved but I have also felt the FA service has also improved. Less negative comments.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by youreadyfreddie
I took the redeye from SAN to IAD last weekend and was impressed by the service and the meal. The FA was terrific. LOVED, loved, loved the mushroom soup, and the hot turkey and cheese sandwich was pretty good too. There was no dessert.
The mushroom soup is delicious ^ So much salt.. mmm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.