Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Earning EQM's - looking for additional ways to earn EQM's in addition to BIS

Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P, HHonors Gold, Hertz Gold, SPG Gold

I am looking for additional ways to earn EQM's in addition to BIS. I will qualify in May for the United Chase Visa that earns EQM's on United ticket purchases but wondering if there are other ways to earn that I am missing? Any suggestions? All sarcastic comments welcome
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:39 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
The Chase card and flying are the only ways you can earn EQM's. Sometimes UA has double EQM promos where each flight counts double, but there hasn't been one of those since 2009... and there's no way to know if there will be one this year.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Thanks SEA1K4EVR for the quick response and answer. Good to know I'm not missing out. From your mouth to God's ear on the Double Down program, but not holding my breath.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:55 am

Programs: UA MM
Chase cards

They have different cards with different EQM amounts. I have one which gives 10k EQM for $ > $35k per year.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Thanks foothill! I will make sure to ask about the program availability. Do you know if once you "qualify", you qualify for all of their card programs?
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
In the past, UA has offered "Elite Choice" awards obtained when reaching a specific number of EQMs. There were frequent options for carryover of EQMs/EQSs (usually 2,500 or 5,000 EQMs, or 2.5 or 5 EQSs) to the next year. I think that promotion is now gone with the CO merge.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, Emerald Executive, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
The Chase card and flying are the only ways you can earn EQM's. Sometimes UA has double EQM promos where each flight counts double, but there hasn't been one of those since 2009... and there's no way to know if there will be one this year.
You can also "earn" EQMs using Continental's equivalent of the Award Accelerator program. They allow you to pay (a lot) extra to earn extra EQM on any flight. I believe its something on the order of 10c/mile.

Given that CO and UA EQMs will be combined at the end of the year (or earlier if you link your accounts), this option might appeal to some.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
A higher fare class...
Old Apr 18, 2011, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Plat
Originally Posted by tlawrence85
You can also "earn" EQMs using Continental's equivalent of the Award Accelerator program. They allow you to pay (a lot) extra to earn extra EQM on any flight. I believe its something on the order of 10c/mile.

Given that CO and UA EQMs will be combined at the end of the year (or earlier if you link your accounts), this option might appeal to some.
It's called Elite Maximizer. I had thought you had to fly CO metal to get access to buy, but noticed on one of my upcoming flights - a CO codeshare on UA metal - that there was a link to buy but was grayed out because, it said, I did not have a Onepass number on the res (I was using my UA #). So, it's possible that you can use this even if you are flying on UA metal, but you have to have your CO number attached.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tlawrence85

Award Accelerator details Hide

Multiply the miles you earn, every time you fly. Award AcceleratorSM helps you grow your Mileage Plus account faster and redeem travel rewards sooner.

For eligible itineraries, you will be given the option to purchase Award Accelerator miles when you book tickets, view your itinerary, or check in online or at an airport kiosk.

Miles purchased do not count towards elite status qualification.
-->
The miles you purchase with Award Accelerator are redeemable miles and do not count toward elite qualification.
These miles credit to your account along with base flight miles that you will already earn for your flight.
Award Accelerator is available only to Mileage Plus members and is currently available during online booking at united.com, and from EasyCheck-in Online, My Itineraries, Travel Options by United, and EasyCheck-in kiosks.
Not a Mileage Plus member? Join now.
This product is also available to our international customers.

Does not appear that Accelerator miles qualify for EQM status. Will that change with the merger?
Old Apr 18, 2011, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by TimezoneCST
Award Accelerator details Hide

Multiply the miles you earn, every time you fly. Award AcceleratorSM helps you grow your Mileage Plus account faster and redeem travel rewards sooner.

For eligible itineraries, you will be given the option to purchase Award Accelerator miles when you book tickets, view your itinerary, or check in online or at an airport kiosk.

Miles purchased do not count towards elite status qualification.
-->
The miles you purchase with Award Accelerator are redeemable miles and do not count toward elite qualification.
These miles credit to your account along with base flight miles that you will already earn for your flight.
Award Accelerator is available only to Mileage Plus members and is currently available during online booking at united.com, and from EasyCheck-in Online, My Itineraries, Travel Options by United, and EasyCheck-in kiosks.
Not a Mileage Plus member? Join now.
This product is also available to our international customers.

Does not appear that Accelerator miles qualify for EQM status. Will that change with the merger?

I believe you can only buy EQM through Elite Maximizer on continental. The net result is the same since CO/UA EQMs will be merged at year end to determine 2012 elite status.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 12:51 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Buy premium fares = 150% EQM.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by foothill
They have different cards with different EQM amounts. I have one which gives 10k EQM for $ > $35k per year.
There is also Chase Choices which allows you to purchase up to 5,000eqms using miles from your account. It's steep though...10,000 miles per 1,000eqms but it can mean the difference ending the year as a 1P or becoming a 1k...it did for this guy
Old Apr 18, 2011, 2:06 pm

Programs: United, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by foothill
For my Chase card I believe the terms were spend over $5,000 on eligibile United purchases and you get 5k EQM. I went over the $5 last week, when should I expect the EQMs to post on my account?
Old Apr 18, 2011, 2:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by benchardf
when should I expect the EQMs to post on my account?
The EQM generally post a month after the RDM for the purchase.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.