Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Starbucks coffee no longer served on UA as of 1-July-2011 [updated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: After UA replaced Starbucks, what's your opinion of the replacement coffee?
It's much better than Starbucks.
4.07%
It's somewhat better than Starbucks.
2.44%
It's about the same as Starbucks.
3.25%
It's somewhat poorer than Starbucks.
8.13%
It's much worse than Starbucks.
82.11%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2011, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond

Hi all,

While this is hardly of great importance, one thing I really enjoy about the PMUA service is the Starbucks coffee. Has there been any indication whether PMUA or CO offerings will remain?

Thanks!
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:14 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by boat9781
Hi all,

While this is hardly of great importance, one thing I really enjoy about the PMUA service is the Starbucks coffee. Has there been any indication whether PMUA or CO offerings will remain?

Thanks!
No there hasn't, but I would be surprised if it went away. More than likely it will be expanded to CO flights as well. UA & Starbucks have been brand buddies for a long time.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:39 am

Anyone remember Frappuccino's on UA? Mmmmm!
Old Apr 18, 2011, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
UA & Starbucks have been brand buddies for a long time.
Not related to the OP... but I always kind of wondered why the RCC brand has been papanicholas.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jonu
How long ago was this? I'd gladly pay for one of those on a long flight!
Old Apr 18, 2011, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by boat9781
How long ago was this? I'd gladly pay for one of those on a long flight!
Please don't hold me to it..... But I seem to recall this was around the time TED was around (not that they were unique to TED)... 2006-2008-ish.

(I just looked at the oldest Hemispheres online, and they were not in there as of Mar 2009).
Old Apr 18, 2011, 3:36 pm

Programs: Lifetime PassPlus, 1K, 2MM, LT United Club, HH Diamond
I think the (good) reasoning on no Starbucks in the RCC is that it would drain revenue from the Starbucks kiosks in the terminal.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Please don't hold me to it..... But I seem to recall this was around the time TED was around (not that they were unique to TED)... 2006-2008-ish.

(I just looked at the oldest Hemispheres online, and they were not in there as of Mar 2009).

Well before that...Try 1995 - 2000 or so, IIRC. Back around the time they also had Snapple.

As for the OP's question, DL just partnered with Seattle's Best coffee. So there is pressure to have a reasonably decent coffee brand on board. That said, CO hasn't really hesitated on being the only one with a negative in various areas (e.g., only carrier with F drink charges, no pillows in F, and IFE charges in Y), so with CO involved, anything could be on the table.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jonu
I do remember... those were the days
Old Apr 18, 2011, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
I for one hope that Nestea from CO would stay.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by channa
Well before that...Try 1995 - 2000 or so, IIRC. Back around the time they also had Snapple.
Don't remember the Snapple, but I absolutely remember having Frappuchino on UA around the dates I mention.

Here is a article that said it started around late 1999: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...6/ai_55257424/
United Airlines (NYSE:UAL) and Starbucks (Nasdaq:SBUX) jointly announced today that they will offer United's customers an additional beverage choice with the addition of the popular Mocha Frappuccino(R) coffee drink. The companies also announced that a new Starbucks coffee, LightNote Blend(tm), will be served on United's domestic and international flights.
Maybe I got an old one in the mid-00's?

Originally Posted by flyformiles
I think the (good) reasoning on no Starbucks in the RCC is that it would drain revenue from the Starbucks kiosks in the terminal.
Excellent point, the thought never crossed my mind.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

I'm surprised they don't offer more beverages for sale to be honest. I guess it is a factor of limited space. Besides, people smarter than me have probably crunched the numbers anyway.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 3:15 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC

As for the OP's question, DL just partnered with Seattle's Best coffee. So there is pressure to have a reasonably decent coffee brand on board.
A sub-brand of Starbucks. Too bad Peet's isn't large enough for an airline to partner with them.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by danville 1K
A sub-brand of Starbucks. Too bad Peet's isn't large enough for an airline to partner with them.

SBUX is apparently talking to Peets.

So maybe someday.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 6:57 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
SBUX is apparently talking to Peets.

So maybe someday.
And here in the bay area Peet's lovers have about the same affection for that merger as most on FT seem to have for the UA/CO merger...

The irony is about 30+ years ago Mr. Peet went to Seattle to show a small start up coffee roaster how to to do it. Not sure how much Mr. Peet was paid in consulting fees, but it sure came around and bit him in the rear about 20 years later when there was a Starbucks seemingly on every corner in the bay area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.