Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Starbucks coffee no longer served on UA as of 1-July-2011 [updated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: After UA replaced Starbucks, what's your opinion of the replacement coffee?
It's much better than Starbucks.
4.07%
It's somewhat better than Starbucks.
2.44%
It's about the same as Starbucks.
3.25%
It's somewhat poorer than Starbucks.
8.13%
It's much worse than Starbucks.
82.11%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Starbucks coffee no longer served on UA as of 1-July-2011 [updated]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2011, 4:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
yeah but is it the real thing or the watered down crap that most airlines serve because they are afraid of getting the pax too juiced up?
I have no idea as I don't drink coffee, but I do know that DD and B6 are pretty tight these days.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 5:57 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by sbm12
JetBlue has a deal with Dunkin and I doubt they're inclined to change that given their focus on NYC/BOS customers and the DD fascination in the region.
Now that would be sweet if it happened (and would make goalie-dad very happy as he was the one who developed the current coffee flavor for Dunks when he was VP of R&D back in the mid-70's)
Old Jun 28, 2011, 6:17 pm

Programs: Now UA free!, AA Ex Plat, AS MVP, Marriott Titanium for life
I will miss the Starbucks- it was certainly a differentiation for PMUA.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 28, 2011 at 6:46 pm Reason: response to deleted quote
Old Jun 28, 2011, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by Hachiko
Freshbrew is in fact, what CO uses these days.
This is a shock Just one more example...Merger of equals? What a crock!
Old Jun 29, 2011, 5:13 am

Programs: United 1K, Alaska MVP 75K, HH Diamond
Im actually surprised by this decision as I would have thought starbucks having their logo emblazoned on the UA cups was great advertising especially since when you get off the plane this is what usually greets you at most US airports. As far as plane coffee goes I much preferred the stronger UA brew over the watery rancid CO stuff.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 5:17 am

Programs: DL-Diamond; UA-Silver (moan); Hilton-DIA; Marriott-PPE; IHG-Plat; NC-Exec Elite
Originally Posted by danville 1K
And here in the bay area Peet's lovers have about the same affection for that merger as most on FT seem to have for the UA/CO merger...

The irony is about 30+ years ago Mr. Peet went to Seattle to show a small start up coffee roaster how to to do it. Not sure how much Mr. Peet was paid in consulting fees, but it sure came around and bit him in the rear about 20 years later when there was a Starbucks seemingly on every corner in the bay area.
Actually, I believe Schultz initially took his cafe ideas to Pete's but was rebuffed, and then hounded the SBUCK execs until they relented and allowed an initial 'test' location.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 6:44 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
It's not very feasible to serve beer with a perfect foam mix in a perfectly chilled mug

So a switch to old Milwaukee fleetwide and systemwide would be just fine right? No big deal?
I was talking about coffee not liquor. I hate Starbucks coffee so I don't really see the big problem. It's fufu crap coffee.

However, on the liquor front UA got rid of Glenlivet and using CO catering has brought back Glenlivet for most int'l flights. Hopefully it'll be expanded for domestic flights again. That's a change I like.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Changing from quality Starbucks to Houston's Worst Coffee isn't the end of the world
Boarding all elites together isn't the end of the world
Getting rid of fresh veggies and other RCC offerings isn't the end of the world
Getting rid of quality blankets and all pillows isn't the end of the world
Diminishing 1K benefits isn't the end of the world
Losing a famous livery isn't the end of the world

Add it all up and it starts to make for a worse flight / airline / loyalty experience though
I understand your point well and there have been some very questionable decisions by the new UA. The elimination of boarding by zones was by far one of the worst decisions but at least they reversed course. Sometimes you need that train wreck to put things back on track. I just hate Starbucks coffee so I don't see the big deal about the coffee change.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 2:20 pm

Programs: VAG
As a coffee snob I find Starbucks barely tolerable anyway, so this news doesn't upset me too much. The post about a possible Starbucks buyout of Peet's does upset me though, since I always found Peet's to be the only *really* tolerable coffee of the big chains.

Somebody said it's impossible to brew decent coffee in a plane anyway -- why is this? Is it to do with the air pressure lowering the boiling temperature of the water? Can't somebody build a pressurized coffee brewing apparatus?
Old Jun 29, 2011, 6:33 pm

Programs: CO gold,AA platinum for life,WN, Hyatt Diamond, Priority Club plat,Emerald club exec
Originally Posted by Jet Yi
Would expect to see Starbucks have another aviation partner (or partners) very soon now that their exclusive deal with UA has come to an end.

Likely candidates include Alaska and Jet Blue. Maybe even Delta who recently moved to Seattle's Best which is a Starbucks owned company.
Jet Blue has Dunkin Doughnuts coffee- they will not switch from that to Starbucks- not as they become the official airline of Boston
Old Jun 29, 2011, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by Jorgen
As a coffee snob I find Starbucks barely tolerable anyway, so this news doesn't upset me too much. The post about a possible Starbucks buyout of Peet's does upset me though, since I always found Peet's to be the only *really* tolerable coffee of the big chains.

Somebody said it's impossible to brew decent coffee in a plane anyway -- why is this? Is it to do with the air pressure lowering the boiling temperature of the water? Can't somebody build a pressurized coffee brewing apparatus?
I don’t know if it’s impossible but coffee is supposed to be brewed at 195F at a proper ration about about 17ml:1g ground coffee with about a 2:30 minute extraction time. I always assumed the reason coffee is brewed at such low temperatures on a plane (and, well, everywhere) is because of cost with the added concern of safety on an aircraft.

I would assume that it’s possible to meet those criteria, just expensive and possibly unsafe. Given that any coffee served on a plane is going to be old, stale and poorly roasted anyways, the temperature and extraction time aren’t what’s holding it back.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by IAHRyan
I don’t know if it’s impossible but coffee is supposed to be brewed at 195F at a proper ration about about 17ml:1g ground coffee with about a 2:30 minute extraction time. I always assumed the reason coffee is brewed at such low temperatures on a plane (and, well, everywhere) is because of cost with the added concern of safety on an aircraft.

I would assume that it’s possible to meet those criteria, just expensive and possibly unsafe. Given that any coffee served on a plane is going to be old, stale and poorly roasted anyways, the temperature and extraction time aren’t what’s holding it back.
Boiling temperature of water at 7000ft is ~199, so you really don't have a large margin at cabin pressure.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 7:46 am

Programs: UA Million Mile Gold, Club, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hertz G, A/Club
They can spec any quality of coffee they want

from this industrial roaster. The question is where their quality/cost point will be. I don't think brand matters. It is bean, roast and freshness and it looks like this supplier does have some high end coffees.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 5:14 pm

I remember the small bags of Starbucks that they would pass out in F and C from time to time as a promotion. They handed out some instant stuff that is still around somewhere.

Starbucks is not necessarily great coffee and is replaceable as long as they do not go too cheap.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by AADC10
Starbucks is not necessarily great coffee and is replaceable as long as they do not go too cheap.
Good one! That's what this change is all about.... Going cheap!

Those who find "charbucks" "barely tolerable" will look back fondly on the Starbucks days after you get a good taste of what is to come.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K >2MM, IC Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by danville 1K
And here in the bay area Peet's lovers have about the same affection for that merger as most on FT seem to have for the UA/CO merger...

The irony is about 30+ years ago Mr. Peet went to Seattle to show a small start up coffee roaster how to to do it. Not sure how much Mr. Peet was paid in consulting fees, but it sure came around and bit him in the rear about 20 years later when there was a Starbucks seemingly on every corner in the bay area.
Sorry I can't get excited about any of this - - it's just coffee... (ducking under desk)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.