Wiki Posts
Search

Using E-Certificate

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2011, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation Using E-Certificate

Hey Folks,
Anyone tried to book using the 20% Economy E-Certificate at united web booking tool?
For some weird reason I get better price if I don't use the certificate!

I thought the certificate meant an automatic 20% off the advertised price(...) but what I see is either a joke or a very tight restrictions on redeeming/traveling dates?
Hope I can get some good feedback from some of you
Thx
Old Apr 13, 2011, 11:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
What fare classes is the cert good for? (see the T&Cs)
It may not be valid for the lower fare classes.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
What fare classes is the cert good for? (see the T&Cs)
It may not be valid for the lower fare classes.
According to the T&C
5. Ticketing Dates: Valid for 1 year from January 9, 2011
6. Travel Dates: Valid for 1 year from January 9, 2011
7. Blackout Dates: None
12. Qualifying Fares: This discount may be used on following published fares: United First(R) (F,A) class, United Business(R) (J,C,D,Z) class and United Economy(R) (Y, B, M, E, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K) class fares.

dose this cover almost all fares?
Old Apr 14, 2011, 10:47 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
The e-cert should be taking 20% off the fare before taxes and fees. What are the fares you are getting with and without using the e-cert? (and it may sound silly, but are all the other variables [i.e. flight #'s] the same?)
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:12 am

OP, you might want to call united.com web support to price the itinerary that you want. If it's the glitch of the website, you could ticket the itinerary with your ecert for free over the phone.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goalie
The e-cert should be taking 20% off the fare before taxes and fees. What are the fares you are getting with and without using the e-cert? (and it may sound silly, but are all the other variables [i.e. flight #'s] the same?)
I'm using the Flexible date view, so I'm getting a view of 5x5 days, and comparing the same Departing/Returning dates, mind you not all dates are available for the discount!!! (although I thought there should be no blackout dates)

Originally Posted by Nelumbo
OP, you might want to call united.com web support to price the itinerary that you want. If it's the glitch of the website, you could ticket the itinerary with your ecert for free over the phone.
I was trying to avoid doing that, but I guess I might have to

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 14, 2011 at 12:08 pm Reason: multi-quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
What are the fare classes offered with and without the cert?
Old Apr 14, 2011, 1:29 pm
Suspended

OP if its a Domestic trip then most likely you saw UAs G fare w/o the cert being used, the ecerts arent any good on that.

I too ran into that with a $50 ecert PHL-LAS-PHL was $158 and a G fare, put in the cert and bingo with the cert the fare is now $228 guess the lowest fare that the cert is usable with was $278.

so I booked it w/o using the cert
Old Apr 14, 2011, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
What are the fare classes offered with and without the cert?
same date, same flight
for example:
w/o certificate: 1,931.00 USD combination of Economy (K) and (S)
with certificate 1,979.00 USD combination of Economy (K) and (S)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.