Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Get away to New York "Sale" ?!?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2011, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Thumbs down Get away to New York "Sale" ?!?

I've seen plenty of non-sale "sales" pushed by UA, but this has got to take the cake. The Get away to New York sale is offering some of the worst "sale" fares I've ever seen for these markets:

Chicago (ORD) - New York City (LGA) 7 days advance - $252*
Denver (DEN) - New York City (LGA) 21 days advance - $334*
Washington D.C. (IAD) - New York City (LGA) 21 days advance - $152*
Los Angeles (LAX) - New York City (JFK) 14 days advance - $488*
San Francisco (SFO) - New York City (JFK) 14 days advance - $632*
Seriously? $488+ from LAX and $632+ from SFO!?! And $252+ from ORD!

I understand that fares are higher in general, as is summer demand, but to call these "sale" fares is really insulting.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Ha.

These fares should be cut 50% to qualify as "promotion"
Old Apr 7, 2011, 9:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by as219
I've seen plenty of non-sale "sales" pushed by UA, but this has got to take the cake. The Get away to New York sale is offering some of the worst "sale" fares I've ever seen for these markets:

I understand that fares are higher in general, as is summer demand, but to call these "sale" fares is really insulting.
Actually, I am seeing some decent fares DTW-NYC.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Actually, I am seeing some decent fares DTW-NYC.
You would think those fares would be on the sale page, right?

It's almost as if when UA announces a "sale" somewhere, it's time to book flights to anywhere but the places advertised.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 10:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Well wish I had caught the sale. I booked a trip to attend FT Awards yest & the fare is $100 lower today.

Cheers.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Well wish I had caught the sale. I booked a trip to attend FT Awards yest & the fare is $100 lower today.
You have 24 hrs to cancel on united.com.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 12:29 pm

Programs: United 1K; 1.66MM
Originally Posted by as219
I've seen plenty of non-sale "sales" pushed by UA, but this has got to take the cake. ....Get away to New York sale[/URL] is offering some of the worst "sale" fares I've ever seen for these markets:

SAN-LGA $199.2 (roundtrip-all included) Aug 31-Sep 7.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 12:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
You have 24 hrs to cancel on united.com.
I wondered about that, but I used an e-cert so if I cancel at this point I lose that value since it's been used. If I had booked today the ecert would have covered everything & I would have lost a bit of value on it. So it's probably a wash, other than it would have saved me the $88 extra I paid yest. The irony is that I actually was going to book today but figured fare would go up.

Cheers.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 12:50 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Fares are always better after the sale ends.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 3:38 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I wondered about that, but I used an e-cert so if I cancel at this point I lose that value since it's been used. If I had booked today the ecert would have covered everything & I would have lost a bit of value on it. So it's probably a wash, other than it would have saved me the $88 extra I paid yest. The irony is that I actually was going to book today but figured fare would go up.

Cheers.
You could possibly call and talk to .bomb Web Support and have them cancel, book the new fare, and apply the e-cert. Technically not allowed, but worth a shot.

I have to see how that goes myself soon; I had to refund a trip on which I'd used a $250-ecert (refunded due to a lengthy Mesa MX delay which would have made the trip impossible ), and asked if there was any chance of getting the e-cert reissued given UA couldn't get me to my booked destination (or back). 1K desk sent me to Web support, who claimed to "notate the PNR" and said "call us [Web support] and give the old PNR, and we'll book a new itin and apply the value of the ecert." We'll see how well that works as I need to book a trip soon.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
Last week I got an email touting a Las Vegas sale starting at $430 R/T.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Typically anything an airline calls a sale isn't in the mind of the typical FTer.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Renard
Typically anything an airline calls a sale isn't in the mind of the typical FTer.
+1

Beside, I will never pay more than $300 to NYC.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by garykung
+1

Beside, I will never pay more than $300 to NYC.
How's that possible? The only times I've ever gone to NYC (from DEN usually) and gotten it under $300 is if I'm on B6.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by char777
How's that possible? The only times I've ever gone to NYC (from DEN usually) and gotten it under $300 is if I'm on B6.
The last time I went from SFO it was $258. Not always available, but it happens more often than not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.