Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Combining UA Credits, Vouchers & Goodwill Certs" Thread (2011) [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Combining UA Credits, Vouchers & Goodwill Certs" Thread (2011) [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2011, 6:46 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by panjfj
This is what i did to get my VDB certs to combine with a Dollar UA systemwide. The agent at the airport first told me they are not combinable until i showed her the profile and the reservations supervisor's ok in the PNR. Good luck
VDB certs are not combinable with other vouchers.
1. Non-combinable/non-endorseable/non-extendible/non-refundable.
3. May be exchanged at any United Airlines (UA) ticketing location or authorized travel agency. Only travel credit exchange coupons with the same serial number (those contained within the same booklet) are combinable.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 9:58 am

Went back to ORD last night -- they would not do it. And on top of that they F'd up my PNR and then deleted it.

Service Director refused to do it. Then Operations Manager came out, she refused to do it as well. Now the fare has jumped.....greeeeeat.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by hellyea
Went back to ORD last night -- they would not do it. And on top of that they F'd up my PNR and then deleted it.

Service Director refused to do it. Then Operations Manager came out, she refused to do it as well. Now the fare has jumped.....greeeeeat.
Why didn't you try ticketing by mail? I've been able to bend a rule or two that way.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT

I used to do this at ORD all the time. Recently, someone SOMEWHERE in their orbit has told them NOT to do it, IME.

I'm not sure why, but the only "reasonable" explanation that I've gotten is that they can't see the e-cert as having been applied to the PNR. I think that too is likely bullspit.

Dave
Old Mar 14, 2011, 2:18 pm

Programs: United GS 1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
VDB certs are not combinable with other vouchers.
1. Non-combinable/non-endorseable/non-extendible/non-refundable.
3. May be exchanged at any United Airlines (UA) ticketing location or authorized travel agency. Only travel credit exchange coupons with the same serial number (those contained within the same booklet) are combinable.
you are not correct. It is non combinable with VDB certs from another booklet. I understand that is what is printed on the VDB coupon, that is why i have this profile armed when i am trying to combine them. In the profile it specifically states that it can be combined with other United Travel Vouchers (i.e customer relations travel vouchers, it does not say ecerts so that is a little grey, but i would assume that since it is a travel voucher, that would be ok). Remember that one is a travel credit (VDB) while another is a voucher. A credit can be combined with another voucher. The VDB credit can also be combined with unused flight credit usually in the form of a travel exchange coupon that they print of BP paper when you refund a nonrefundable fare.

This is from the S* UAL/ TRAVEL CREDIT profile which is current as of today.

-- OTHER IMPORTANT NOTES ----------------------------
- NON-REFUNDABLE
- VALID ONE YEAR FROM DATE OF ISSUE. NOT EXTENDIBLE
- TRAVEL CREDIT NOT VALID FOR USE UNTIL 72 HOUR AFTER ISSUANCE
- TRANSFERABLE IN PERSON

- COMBINABLE WITH:
- OTHER TRAVEL CREDIT COUPONS FROM SAME BOOKLET
- UNUSED OR PARTIALLY-USED TICKET
- UNITED TRAVEL VOUCHER
- UNITED PROMOTION COUPON AS LONG AS PROMOTION REQUIREMENTS ARE MET
- EMP20 DISCOUNT

NOT COMBINABLE WITH:
- COUPONS FROM A DIFFERENT TRAVEL CREDIT BOOKLET
- PREPAID TICKET ADVICE(PTA) OR TOUR PACKAGE
- VALID TOWARD TICKET PUCHASE ONLY (MAY NOT BE USED TOWARD SERVICE FEE/EXCESS BAG CHARGE/ECONOMY PLUS UPSELL)
- NO RESIDUAL VALUE WHEN TRAVEL CREDIT VALUE EXCEEDS TICKET COST

- COUPONS HAVE NO CASH VALUE
- UPGRADEABLE IF FARE ALLOWS - MILEAGE ACCRUAL PERMITTED
- VOID IF ALTERED/LOST/STOLEN/EXPIRED/FAXED/COPIED
Old Mar 14, 2011, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by panjfj
you are not correct. It is non combinable with VDB certs from another booklet. I understand that is what is printed on the VDB coupon, that is why i have this profile armed when i am trying to combine them. In the profile it specifically states that it can be combined with other United Travel Vouchers (i.e customer relations travel vouchers, it does not say ecerts so that is a little grey, but i would assume that since it is a travel voucher, that would be ok). Remember that one is a travel credit (VDB) while another is a voucher. A credit can be combined with another voucher. The VDB credit can also be combined with unused flight credit usually in the form of a travel exchange coupon that they print of BP paper when you refund a nonrefundable fare.

This is from the S* UAL/ TRAVEL CREDIT profile which is current as of today.

-- OTHER IMPORTANT NOTES ----------------------------
- NON-REFUNDABLE
- VALID ONE YEAR FROM DATE OF ISSUE. NOT EXTENDIBLE
- TRAVEL CREDIT NOT VALID FOR USE UNTIL 72 HOUR AFTER ISSUANCE
- TRANSFERABLE IN PERSON

- COMBINABLE WITH:
- OTHER TRAVEL CREDIT COUPONS FROM SAME BOOKLET
- UNUSED OR PARTIALLY-USED TICKET
- UNITED TRAVEL VOUCHER
- UNITED PROMOTION COUPON AS LONG AS PROMOTION REQUIREMENTS ARE MET
- EMP20 DISCOUNT

NOT COMBINABLE WITH:
- COUPONS FROM A DIFFERENT TRAVEL CREDIT BOOKLET
- PREPAID TICKET ADVICE(PTA) OR TOUR PACKAGE
- VALID TOWARD TICKET PUCHASE ONLY (MAY NOT BE USED TOWARD SERVICE FEE/EXCESS BAG CHARGE/ECONOMY PLUS UPSELL)
- NO RESIDUAL VALUE WHEN TRAVEL CREDIT VALUE EXCEEDS TICKET COST

- COUPONS HAVE NO CASH VALUE
- UPGRADEABLE IF FARE ALLOWS - MILEAGE ACCRUAL PERMITTED
- VOID IF ALTERED/LOST/STOLEN/EXPIRED/FAXED/COPIED
Thanks for the profile info. Most of us do not have it. Years ago, when I tried to combine VDB travel credit (type B voucher) with Customer Relations paper voucher (type A voucher), CSR showed me VDB T&C #1. He also told me he worked for UA for many years and he knew what he was doing.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by bseller
I used to do this at ORD all the time. Recently, someone SOMEWHERE in their orbit has told them NOT to do it, IME.

I'm not sure why, but the only "reasonable" explanation that I've gotten is that they can't see the e-cert as having been applied to the PNR. I think that too is likely bullspit.

Dave
I'd have to agree. I've done it multiple times at ORD before. Now that the Future Ticketing desk has pretty much been removed and you just go to a normal check-in agent. The ones who used to day in and day out do future ticketing would do it in a second, and appropriately so. It'd be great if we could get this changed at ORD. I don't fly enough to do it at a different airport or have access to the RCC. I'm very frustrated and lost at this point. They kept going in circles about the TIC code and how it wasn't coded for use of a Travel Credit.

I even asked her -- the travel credit is like a gift card. You can go to the GAP and use a coupon, and pay the difference with a Gift card. She said no you can't. I didn't know what to say at that point.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 2:12 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Question You'd think I would know this....

Held a reservation on-line () for goalie-parents this morning as they want to use VDB credits (will go to SFO to ticket tomorrow) but I think i had a bald moment.....

Price per pax is $318 plus tax for a total of $636 before taxes on 1 PNR

goalie-parents each have one book of 4x$100 vouchers and want to apply 6 of them for a total of $600 but iirc, in order to use the $600, it would have to be on 2 separate PNR's applying $300 to each separate PNR, right?
Old Mar 15, 2011, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
Held a reservation on-line () for goalie-parents this morning as they want to use VDB credits (will go to SFO to ticket tomorrow) but I think i had a bald moment.....

goalie-parents each have one book of 4x$100 vouchers and want to apply 6 of them for a total of $600 but iirc, in order to use the $600, it would have to be on 2 separate PNR's applying $300 to each separate PNR, right?
It does not matter you have one or two PNRs.

CSR most likely will take 3 x $100 from one booklet and you pay $18 plus taxes for the difference. Once s/he finishes with first passenger, s/he will repeat the same for 2nd passenger. You still have 2 x $100 unused vouchers.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 4:11 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
It does not matter you have one or two PNRs.

CSR most likely will take 3 x $100 from one booklet and you pay $18 plus taxes for the difference. Once s/he finishes with first passenger, s/he will repeat the same for 2nd passenger. You still have 2 x $100 unused vouchers.
Thank you ^ as that's what I wanted to hear
Old Mar 15, 2011, 5:26 pm

Thank you ^ as that's what I wanted to hear
My pleasure.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:47 pm

Throw an e-Cert on there. I'd love to see what's happening outside of ORD.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 12:34 am

Programs: United GS 1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Thanks for the profile info. Most of us do not have it. Years ago, when I tried to combine VDB travel credit (type B voucher) with Customer Relations paper voucher (type A voucher), CSR showed me VDB T&C #1. He also told me he worked for UA for many years and he knew what he was doing.
everyone at UA always knows what they are doing and have a huge ego about it. That is why i am always armed with the policies in hand. Because when i have it on paper and can read off as the CSR looks at the screen, they know what i am talking about. So more often then not, it needs to be pushed. But guess what, i know for a fact that a lot of it depends on what the CSR wants to do and how the CSR wants to interpret the rules.

So there is a lot of grey area in this matter. There is surprising very little limitations on their computer systems so really anything can fly. They are just held accountable when there is an audit. The feeling around now esp among the ticketing agents seems like the new "UA" is going to be very by the book and are going to make it hard trying to bend rules so i really dont know what is going to happen. You can expect great service on board but when it comes to bending rules on ticketing, fees and compensation, i would not expect much accomodation/service.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
It'd be great if we could get this changed at ORD.
Not going to happen. I soooo wish it would, but if you hold your breath, you'll turn blue with no benefit.
I even asked her -- the travel credit is like a gift card. You can go to the GAP and use a coupon, and pay the difference with a Gift card. She said no you can't. I didn't know what to say at that point.
I made PRECISELY this same argument, and it got me nowhere. I dont know who is training whom, but someone in the chain 'o command has told the line folks NOT to do this, IMO..

Dave
Old Mar 16, 2011, 6:28 am

Programs: United 1K, HH Diamond, CBP Global Entry
I've had multiple web support agents place it on hold with an ecert applied. I've ticketed the remainder balance with a Type B Voucher at the airport -- did this twice now. Rest I mailed in. All no issues.
i think this ecert-hold-then-airport-typeB-ticket system only works for $ ecerts, and not the %-off ecerts. I've tried to get web support to hold an itinerary with a %-off ecert applied, and they refused repeatedly. oy, maybe it just my bad luck.

second thing - does anyone know what happens if we cancel a VDB-voucher-booked non-refundable fare? after the change fee, does the residual stay on my electronic account as a credit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.