Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Is United 1K Status Worth It?" Thread [2010-12 Posts]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2010, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, SPG Plat, Hertz #1 Gold 5*

This was probably discussed before, but I did a couple of searches and couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm a 1K and just over 20K miles short to requalify for next year. I can possibly do 4 MRs (transcon and Hawaii) that will cost me about $1600 before the end of the year. Is it worth it? I'm not sure how much international travel I'll have next year.

Thanks for your advice.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold
You should be able to do four transcons for less then $1600...hurry up though!
Old Dec 4, 2010, 3:16 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
was 1k worth $1600 to you this year?....look in the mirror for the answer....

were you able to use the swu's for yourself/family? how many free ug's did you get,etc,etc....

do you expect similar flying in 2011?

good luck...
Old Dec 4, 2010, 3:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This might be what you were looking for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html
As always only you can determine what 1K benefits are worth to you versus the $$ and time costs for the MR.

6xSWUs
Any more CR1s?
UDU priority?
Award fee waivers?
Extra economy award inventory?
SDC/Standby fee waivers?
Better call center
better irrops handling ( and lodging costs for wider range of issues)
Chase MP Visa fee waiver
Earlier boarding
Old Dec 4, 2010, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Dog Woof Million Mile Member
I answered yes

Originally Posted by wxguy1
This was probably discussed before, but I did a couple of searches and couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm a 1K and just over 20K miles short to requalify for next year. I can possibly do 4 MRs (transcon and Hawaii) that will cost me about $1600 before the end of the year. Is it worth it? I'm not sure how much international travel I'll have next year.

Thanks for your advice.
I just answered yes to that question, and I am 10K lower than you. So I'm taking a trip to Asia in B class on a CO ticket but United metal across the ocean. To me, six SWUs alone are worth that. The difference is that I did not want to waste all the time doing mileage runs. So I am going to someplace I wanted to go, using two SWUs (but can only upgrade at the gate because of the CO ticket) and doing both business and a vacation.

Had I not found this way (with a B class fare) I probably would not have done it because it would have meant six days of mileage running to qualify. My time is more valuable to me than the 2K I am spending on the ticket.

It is not so much money (that part is easy) as it is time. So my question to you is this--is there someplace you want to go that can earn a lot of eqms for you? If not, do you mind spending four days on airplanes between now and year end?
Old Mar 30, 2011, 2:05 pm

Should I go for IK? Advice needed

Hi Guys

Would love your honest feedback / advice. Wondering whether to go for IK this year.

I've been Prem Exec 4 years running and have no problems hitting that.

This year my already booked paid travel on UA (about 45,000 miles) plus the 8000 EQM or so I earn on my Chase Platnium United card will get me over the line again for Prem Exec.

I normally buy coach fares and fly to Sydney at least once or twice a year as well as Europe and Brasil. Those are all 15 hour+ trips from LAX in coach. I will use miles to upgrade a lot of the time. But I am getting to that age (31) where I should would love some SWU to get me up to biz.

I'll probably book another NYC flight or two taking me to 60,000 EQM for 2011. But to hit 1K I would need to do some trips solely for the miles. Not really into the idea of mileage runs, but VERY open to the idea of taking a trip and spending a few days somewhere just for the miles. I have friends on almost every continent I can stay with and a LOVE travelling and seeing the world. I also get about 5 weeks vacation a year so I can take the off Friday and Monday off and jump on a plane to Hong Kong or London for 4 days to get my miles up.

Do you think it;s worth going for IK this year? last year I had 60,000 EQM too (which they would roll over)

Just not sure if I really fly enough to warrant 1K (a few Europe, Sydney trips a year etc - all pleasure not business) But also feel those SWU would sure be nice for when I do fly.

Also like the idea of using it as an excuse to see some of the world this year.

Yes or No???

i take your guys advice very seriously!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 30, 2011 at 2:33 pm Reason: merged with existing thread
Old Mar 30, 2011, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
SWUs are great. So is the 1K line where you get service in the US (often really nice). And the overall treatment of 1Ks is far better than for others. For me it's a no-brainer. If you fly enough to get the EQMs, go for it!
Old Mar 30, 2011, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by euslaner
SWUs are great. So is the 1K line where you get service in the US (often really nice). And the overall treatment of 1Ks is far better than for others. For me it's a no-brainer. If you fly enough to get the EQMs, go for it!
Thanks!
But my true flying only gets me to about 55,000 EQM this year.

I'd be doing 45,000 miles JUST to hit IK (but i LOVE travelling and have many places I want to see)

Should I still go for it?
Old Mar 30, 2011, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Doing 40K worth of MRs for 1K doesn't feel worth it to me. Unless you're anticipating an increase in travel for next year.

One detail I'd check is if your int'l travel has been booked in fare classes that permit SWU upgrades. If not, you'd be doing miles+copay or UFC to travel in Biz anyway.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TIMOS
Thanks!
But my true flying only gets me to about 55,000 EQM this year.

I'd be doing 45,000 miles JUST to hit IK (but i LOVE traveling and have many places I want to see)

Should I still go for it?
TIMOS - I've been in a similar situation the last couple of years. I traveled about 125k+ annually between 2000 - 2007. Changed jobs, and my new job gets me about 40-50k a year. Luckily I hit 1M last year, so I don't worry about getting to 1P.

However, I absolutely love to get on a plane and fly around the world. Getting the EQMs is a good excuse - my wife actually understands that part of it. After spending a year at 1P - I made the decision last year that 1K was definitely worth it for me (assuming I can find reasonable fares).

For me, the SWUs, the red carpet when boarding, the greater chance of an UDU, the free award ticket changes, and the same day standby benefits are key.

I generally find trips that yield between 12-15k round-trip, and I try to keep the fares between $800 - $1,000 (not always successful, but that's my goal). I figure I have to do 3-5 trips a year, so $2,400 - $4,000. Of course you can't just look at the $$$, if you love to travel and love to go to new places then you aren't really just paying for the EQMs are you?

2009 I did SYD and NRT (with my wife), 2010 I did SYD and PEK (both with my wife), and BKK, so far in 2011 I've been to DXB and HKG. I realized that I was making the right choice when, for the IAD-DXB flight, I sat in my coach seat #17 on the upgrade list (using SWUs). As a 1K, I've never not had an SWU clear. Planning my travel for the rest of the year - I'll probably need to find 2 more trips.

mkleiderman brings up a good point on the SWUs and fare class - however both my 2011 trips I was able to book the higher fare class for only about $150 more than the non-upgradeable fare class.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by TIMOS
This year my already booked paid travel on UA (about 45,000 miles) plus the 8000 EQM or so I earn on my Chase Platnium United card will get me over the line again for Prem Exec.
how do you get that many EQM's from chase? Is that 35K$ in spend, plus about 3000$ in tickets on ual.com?
Old Mar 30, 2011, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA global, VS Gld , SPG plat
I have been 1k for over 10 years and it is definately worth it. Flying an extra 50k miles will probably set you back $5-6k but if you take the view that means each SWU costs you $1k then it is still good value.
You will have earned 50k miles, SWU can upgrade you from a really cheap fare (no need for a 'B' or co-pay) and you are way ahead on the upgrade list. You also get to board ie. find overhead space - before everyone else.
You also get faster check-in at the airport and seldom on hold for long when calling.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nmenaker
how do you get that many EQM's from chase? Is that 35K$ in spend, plus about 3000$ in tickets on ual.com?
Legacy (now retired) UA Plat MP Visa, you get 5K EQM at $35K spend and up to 5K EQM for $5K spend on ua.com

Plus up to 5K EQM for Choices if need be
Old Mar 30, 2011, 7:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Is it worth it? Well, as a 1P, my upgrade success rate hovers at or just below 50%. As a 1K, it was in the mid-90% range.

Hell yes it's worth it.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 8:02 pm

I generally find trips that yield between 12-15k round-trip, and I try to keep the fares between $800 - $1,000 (not always successful, but that's my goal). I figure I have to do 3-5 trips a year, so $2,400 - $4,000. Of course you can't just look at the $$$, if you love to travel and love to go to new places then you aren't really just paying for the EQMs are you?
Thanks for your input coyote! I kind of agree with you. I am more than half way there. I don't really see myself flying LAX-PHL-MCO-ORD-SFo-DEN=LAX all in a day to do this. I see myself going to Tokyon for 2 days on a long weekend to see the city and travel the world and earn 1K

Originally Posted by nmenaker
Yes. $35k spend and about another $3k un united.com. Come to think of it it.s more like $5k on united.com

Originally Posted by halls120
Is it worth it? Well, as a 1P, my upgrade success rate hovers at or just below 50%. As a 1K, it was in the mid-90% range.

Hell yes it's worth it.
Yeah that sounds appealing!

I have been 1k for over 10 years and it is definately worth it. Flying an extra 50k miles will probably set you back $5-6k but if you take the view that means each SWU costs you $1k then it is still good value.
You will have earned 50k miles, SWU can upgrade you from a really cheap fare (no need for a 'B' or co-pay) and you are way ahead on the upgrade list. You also get to board ie. find overhead space - before everyone else.
You also get faster check-in at the airport and seldom on hold for long when calling.
Well I'm Prem Exec now so if I have to fly 50,000 miles to get to 1K I'd actually earn 100,000 miles!

I'd actually need to do about 40,000 - so I'd get 1K and 80,000 miles.

Also, LAX-JFK is about 5000 miles round trip. 10 of those and I'd be 1K. I can buy LAX-JFK for $350. So it might cost me as little as $3500 in fares

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 30, 2011 at 8:11 pm Reason: merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.