Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA expanding Wi-Fi to 737, 757 fleet (over 200 planes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA expanding Wi-Fi to 737, 757 fleet (over 200 planes)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2011, 2:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Mostly 737-700/800/900. 752s do not have direct TV but have AVOD. 767/777 have AVOD. Only 753s have direct TV. I guess all of CO's fleet will have some sort of IFE.
Ummm...no. The 767s do not have AVOD and the 753s do not have DirecTV yet. They are due to get it later this year and the 76s will start to get AVOD late this year as they go in for the new cabin configuration and BF upgrade as well.
Originally Posted by cordelli
Will it be $6 for the TV and then another $12 or whatever for internet? It's gonna get to the point where the inflight stuff will cost as much as the tickets.
That's more or less what the airlines want to happen because those are the only places they can find margins.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
In general across the industry transcons are roughly between $8-$13, shorter flights are less.
One of the supposed benefits of the Ka-band solution is that it is cheaper to operate than then EvDO or Ku-band solutions (i.e. gogo and Row44). No idea if that will trickle down to the customer or not.
Originally Posted by ORD-LIH
...I'm pretty familiar with the economics of both conversion as well as revenue potential and in-flight internet is an absolute no-brainer.
You're the first person I've heard who claims to be an insider and who also claims that the adoption rates are happening at a revenue point that is actually profitable or useful to either the airlines or the providers.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 4:44 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
While I do like the addition of WiFI, I wonder how much this "change we will like" is going to cost us, Uncle Jeff.....
Old Mar 23, 2011, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
How would Ka-Band compare to GoGo or Row44 in the following specific points?
  • Row44 allows for "gate-to-gate" WiFi, as opposed to GoGo which is only once 10,000 feet in the air.
  • Although airlines don't utilize it, another benefit of Row44 is that it could be utilized internationally, even over water, as opposed to GoGo which is specific to the US. (Row44 is similar to the now extinct Connexion by Boeing.)
Old Mar 23, 2011, 3:17 am

JFK-SFO PS internet slow

I paid for Gogo internet in coach on Monday's 2:35 PS flight. I am
in the process of changing ISPs so I had a large file to down load.
Speed was about slow cell phone speed of 28-35Kbps which meant
even browsing was very slow. Still, I had nothing better to do.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 4:10 am

answers...

Originally Posted by joshwex90
How would Ka-Band compare to GoGo or Row44 in the following specific points?
  • Row44 allows for "gate-to-gate" WiFi, as opposed to GoGo which is only once 10,000 feet in the air.
  • Although airlines don't utilize it, another benefit of Row44 is that it could be utilized internationally, even over water, as opposed to GoGo which is specific to the US. (Row44 is similar to the now extinct Connexion by Boeing.)
Row44, Ka-band from ViaSat or any other satellite based connectivity system for aircraft:
1) could work 'gate-to-gate'; however, passenger electronic devices are not allowed to be used below 10k feet.
2) may work over water if the aircraft system can communicate with a satellite that's providing coverage in the given area
Old Mar 24, 2011, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by tv_man
Row44, Ka-band from ViaSat or any other satellite based connectivity system for aircraft:
1) could work 'gate-to-gate'; however, passenger electronic devices are not allowed to be used below 10k feet.
2) may work over water if the aircraft system can communicate with a satellite that's providing coverage in the given area
  1. While at the gate, especially when seated in F which could mean a long time on the ground, it'd be nice to be able to surf.
  2. I understand that. GoGo for example, cannot be used over water. What wil be with Ka-band?
Old Mar 24, 2011, 11:27 am

Programs: United 2P
Good news. It amazes me that all planes aren't fitted for wifi. The technology has been out for years and years.

I can understand how personal video takes ripping out all the seats, but adding wifi should be a small change - throw a unit in the plane and you are good to go.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 11:32 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mintirish
.. It amazes me that all planes aren't fitted for wifi. The technology has been out for years and years. ....
technology is not the issue, it is economics. Most of the reports have shown slow lcustomer / traveller adoption due to costs. While a group like FTer may think it is a no brainer it has take awhile to get the customer based conditioned to paying for this service.

Originally Posted by mintirish
..I can understand how personal video takes ripping out all the seats, but adding wifi should be a small change - throw a unit in the plane and you are good to go.
The in-plane costs are relatively low (but you do need a server in addition to the access points) the real costs are the ISP. The terrestrial towers or satellite systems are expensive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.