Wiki Posts
Search

Has boarding w/ companion changed?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2011, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K, MM, Marriott Plat
Has boarding w/ companion changed?

Flew from ORD to RSW and boarding process typical...my wife and I boarded with a GS/1K/and 1P couple flying 1st. I was with my wife-no status-and when they called for boarding, my wife/me, a GS/wife and 1P but 1st class walked to red carpet to board, All three status members were told we could board but none of our wife's were allowed, We questioned why since they were with us and told "United never allows non-elites to board before their boarding zone" and literally pulled the "rope" between my wife and me. When we all objected were told if we don't like following rules, he will call security.

Has something changed? This was beyond ridiculous and the most power trippng GA I have ever seen.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 8:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by seagar
Has something changed?
Just another rogue GA.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Just another rogue GA.
Agreed, and worthy of a note of complaint noting the offensive action with the rope
Old Mar 20, 2011, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
That seems more than a little nuts (and I say that as someone who travels alone much more often than with a companion).
Old Mar 20, 2011, 8:56 pm

Programs: mainly UA and CO
IMO and experience, I think they should have allowed you to board with your companion.
Complain to customer satisfaction and you will most likely get a $ 250 voucher for future travel.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Too bad you weren't at Fastair's gate...he would have let the wives go with their husbands...oh well, he can't be everywhere
Old Mar 21, 2011, 12:05 am

Programs: UA Platinum, 1M, HH Diamond
Announcements

I've noticed that lately they more consistently announce that for people travelling together they should board with the person with the higher boarding group number.

So are you guys saying it's official policy to allow red carpet passengers to bring their companion or just a courtesy which should be extended?

I usually travel solo or, if with a companion, I have upgraded them, so haven't encountered this scenario.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 1:20 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Thank you OP for letting us know that this happened at ORD and the GA is a he. This is very embarrassed so I will avoid having any lower status family member or friend boarded with me on the red carpet when at the ORD with a male GA. You should definitely write to 1KVoice about this incident and please come back to let us know where UA stands on this issue. BTW, I have never ever denied boarding with one or more lower or no-status companions on the Red Carpet even when we were at NRT where they have very strict boarding rule.

Flew from ORD to RSW and boarding process typical...my wife and I boarded with a GS/1K/and 1P couple flying 1st. I was with my wife-no status-and when they called for boarding, my wife/me, a GS/wife and 1P but 1st class walked to red carpet to board, All three status members were told we could board but none of our wife's were allowed, We questioned why since they were with us and told "United never allows non-elites to board before their boarding zone" and literally pulled the "rope" between my wife and me. When we all objected were told if we don't like following rules, he will call security.

Has something changed? This was beyond ridiculous and the most power trippng GA I have ever seen.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 1:31 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by lax2010
BTW, I have never ever denied boarding with one or more lower or no-status companions on the Red Carpet even when we were at NRT where they have very strict boarding rule.
Nor have I (but I do that not maybe once a year, so not many data points).

I have brought in people to the GS check-in (sometimes on the same flight, sometimes not) and there was never an issue with this. (Maybe becasue they all know me well at ORD, but other stations not as much.)

It seems a bit over the top to me, but I don't know all the facts of this particular situation.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Very strange. FS-Mom is only 1P, and in the off-chance that I get UDU and she does not, she boards with me.. We have never had problems with her using the red carpet if she is sitting in Y.

Was this a UX GA?
Old Mar 21, 2011, 3:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Likely has something to do with so many extras trying to move up in line at the same time.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Likely has something to do with so many extras trying to move up in line at the same time.
No, gate lice are those who crowd the boarding area before their boarding area is called. Many are 1ks.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 4:06 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Too bad you weren't at Fastair's gate...he would have let the wives go with their husbands...oh well, he can't be everywhere
You might be surprised at my interpretation of the published rules on this one.

Can anyone cite online documentation to support their theories on this one, or is it a case of one assumes logic not supported by rule?

I will defend anyone's published benefits, but will not actively (may passively) grant unpublished assumptions.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 4:49 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by fastair

Can anyone cite online documentation to support their theories on this one, or is it a case of one assumes logic not supported by rule?

I will defend anyone's published benefits, but will not actively (may passively) grant unpublished assumptions.
I was told it was S*UAL/CS (if I remember it correctly - it was over a year ago).

I got a nice $600 e-cert from the station manager in PHL because of this exact issue.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by fastair
there's no rule?

-David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.