Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Mileage Plus Shopping Toolbar

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2011, 5:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
Originally Posted by twoner32
it appears the toolbar is gone???????? or dead????????? can't even download it now or find on their home page
looks like it. I also couldnt find it on their site anymore.

hope it comes back soon
Old Oct 11, 2011, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Platinum, Accor Silver, Choice Privileges Gold
On Oct. 5 I received an email from UA about the toolbar, which I've pasted below (note the part at the bottom which says the old toolbar will no longer earn miles). The good thing is that there's an opportunity to earn 500 miles for the download, which I missed last time around. But what's weird is that there's not a counter on this new toolbar.

"Introducing the new
MileagePlus Shopping Assistant

MileagePlus Shopping is announcing a new and improved toolbar, the MileagePlus Shopping Assistant. It supports all browsers for PCs, however Firefox and Safari for Macs will be supported at a later date. We'll notify you once it's ready to support additional browsers.

It's FREE and easy to use:

•Never miss an opportunity to earn miles with hundreds of participating online retailers
•Search on Google, Yahoo! and Bing to see where you can earn miles
•Continue to earn miles for Yahoo! web searches
As of 10/3/11, the previous version of the MileagePlus Shopping toolbar will no longer earn miles for shopping or making Yahoo! searches. Visit MileagePlus Shopping to check out more ways to earn miles."
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:18 am

Programs: AA, BA, UA, COPA, Air Canada (dormant)
I got that e-mail too, also on the 5th: it was a little naughty of them to send the e-mail 2 days after the previous version stopped counting.

Also, I cannot get the new toolbar to work at all. Attempting to set it up linked to a CO age asking which account (OP or MP) I wanted to REDEEM from and then logged me out rather than in. :-S

Since the miles from the old toolbar posted erratically (at best), I have given up on this toolbar entirely.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Platinum, Accor Silver, Choice Privileges Gold
Yes, and no counter for the searches one has done. But I did download it and did a few searches so I could get the 500 miles. We'll see ....
Old Oct 13, 2011, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by thelostshark
On Oct. 5 I received an email from UA about the toolbar, which I've pasted below (note the part at the bottom which says the old toolbar will no longer earn miles).
As of 10/3/11, the previous version of the MileagePlus Shopping toolbar will no longer earn miles for shopping or making Yahoo! searches. Visit MileagePlus Shopping to check out more ways to earn miles."
Didn't get the Oct 5 email and my search bar is still counting searches..

..For those that received the email, does your old tool bar still say you're earning miles?
Old Oct 13, 2011, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by MyTravels

..For those that received the email, does your old tool bar still say you're earning miles?
old TB had to be de-stalled in order for this to become active.

new TB seems to work but is not very good, in my opinion. Not sure why they rolled it out without it being complete.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 5:54 am

Programs: UA LTP, AA LTG, DL Plat, Marriott LTT, HH Diamond

Travels: the old toolbar does appear to keep counting (mine did; it took me a while to get around to reading and acting on the e-mail), but I believe them when they say they won't credit them any more. Heck, they didn't really credit them with any consistency before. So if you want to stay in the game with the new one or not, I'd probably stop spending any time on the old one.

FTF

Originally Posted by rmb.flk
I got that e-mail too, also on the 5th: it was a little naughty of them to send the e-mail 2 days after the previous version stopped counting.

Also, I cannot get the new toolbar to work at all. Attempting to set it up linked to a CO age asking which account (OP or MP) I wanted to REDEEM from and then logged me out rather than in. :-S

Since the miles from the old toolbar posted erratically (at best), I have given up on this toolbar entirely.
It does indeed show a pretty stupidly written screen about redeeming miles, and that doesn't make any sense. (And of course, you'll want to choose your UA account, not CO, so that doesn't make much sense either.)

But the problem with it logging you out is probably just a one-off. Whether or not you want to stay with it -- and I'm questionning myself, because I don't like at all that it doesn't show my earnings, so I'm supposed to just trust them?: ), downloading the dumb thing should at least get you 500 miles. Just be sure to uninstall the old one.

FTF

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 13, 2011 at 6:01 am Reason: merge
Old Oct 13, 2011, 8:26 pm

My old toolbar was disabled (not sure if that was because I downloaded the new one or not), so I uninstalled it. But disabled is putting it mildly, because it didn't really exist. Instead, some sort of error message was there instead of the toolbar. tls
Old Oct 14, 2011, 6:08 pm

Can anyone point out fine print to me re: time the United toolbar must be installed to receive the current 500 pt download promotion? Is it 30 days like some other airline toolbars?
Old Oct 14, 2011, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MerRhosyn
Can anyone point out fine print to me re: time the United toolbar must be installed to receive the current 500 pt download promotion? Is it 30 days like some other airline toolbars?
I could not be sure myself and now I find I may even need to totally reinstall my system on my PC because of internal windows issues, meaning if there is a time thing, I would break that rule. But I do recall it said to make a purchase in order to make it so you get the 500, which tells me or makes me lean toward the theory that there is no timeframe, rather, you just need to buy something off it now.

Screen shot EVERYTHINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG and save it all
Old Oct 15, 2011, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
old TB had to be de-stalled in order for this to become active.
Originally Posted by FullTimeFlyer
Travels: the old toolbar does appear to keep counting (mine did; it took me a while to get around to reading and acting on the e-mail), but I believe them when they say they won't credit them any more. Heck, they didn't really credit them with any consistency before. So if you want to stay in the game with the new one or not, I'd probably stop spending any time on the old one.
My old toolbar was disabled (not sure if that was because I downloaded the new one or not), so I uninstalled it. But disabled is putting it mildly, because it didn't really exist. Instead, some sort of error message was there instead of the toolbar. tls
Thanks everyone.

Through yesterday the "old" toolbar was still counting with the announcement, "You earned another mile"

Today the toolbar reads, "Click her to upgrade your MileagePlus Shopping Toolbar"
Old Oct 15, 2011, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks everyone.

Through yesterday the "old" toolbar was still counting with the announcement, "You earned another mile"

Today the toolbar reads, "Click her to upgrade your MileagePlus Shopping Toolbar"
cool. then you may have double dipped... but hopefully they wont negate miles from one of the TBs!
Old Oct 20, 2011, 7:11 am

Well, my 100 miles posted (earned from searches in August with the old toolbar) today or yesterday. That was the first month I used the UA toolbar. So far so good. tls
Old Oct 22, 2011, 9:18 am

Programs: AA Plat,PC Plat, HHonors Gold
mileaplushopping.com seems down
Old Oct 22, 2011, 11:04 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by kyunbit
mileaplushopping.com seems down
It was working for me just a few minutes ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.