United Mileage Plus Shopping Toolbar

Old Jun 19, 2011, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21
I don't believe the 250 was posted early. If I downloaded and used the toolbar in mid March, 10 weeks would put it right at the beginning of June.
According to Portolan the points post up to 10 weeks after the end of the promotion, not 10 weeks after download/use.

Originally Posted by Portolan
.. the bonus posts up to 10 weeks after the end of the promotion which I take to mean mid-July!
Old Jun 19, 2011, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by MyTravels
According to Portolan the points post up to 10 weeks after the end of the promotion, not 10 weeks after download/use.
Thanks. I missed the "after the promotion" part of that when I read it.

Not sure what is referring to as the miles for searching is not a promotion that has an end date....at least not that I can find in the T&Cs.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 9:11 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, PC Platinum
Yesterday saw the miles posted from April - June for my toolbar searches. However, they did not grant me the entire 100 miles/month even though I hit that amount every month according to the toolbar..

Any ideas?

On another note, since yesterday my toolbar has stopped showing the number of searches and number of miles earned even though I'm loged in... Is that just a temporary glitch? I've restarted th computer/browser a few times.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 9:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pork1781
Yesterday saw the miles posted from April - June for my toolbar searches. However, they did not grant me the entire 100 miles/month even though I hit that amount every month according to the toolbar..

Any ideas?

On another note, since yesterday my toolbar has stopped showing the number of searches and number of miles earned even though I'm loged in... Is that just a temporary glitch? I've restarted th computer/browser a few times.
yup, having the same problem
Old Jul 6, 2011, 10:10 am

I should have gotten about 19 miles the first month and 100 miles for the 2nd month, and only a few miles for the 3rd month. Instead I only got 1 mile for the 3rd month.

My wife should have 0 for the first month, and 100 each for the other 2 months. Instead she got 19 miles the first month and 100 miles for the second month and 3 miles the third month.

Not sure how that happened since we used separate computers.

Today I decided to try the toolbar again (I gave up on it since it seemed like another thing that I would never get my miles on) and it just says "Not Earning" when doing searches for both my wife and I.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 5:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Silver, Aeroplan 25K, DVC
Originally Posted by oneeyejack
yup, having the same problem
I'm also missing the searches and miles tally.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 9:50 am

Programs: UA LTP, AA LTG, DL Plat, Marriott LTT, HH Diamond
I'm having the same problem as everyone here with regard to the toolbar not showing searches and miles (and so is Mrs FTF). Moreover, we also both had the same problem reported by pork1781, not getting the right amounts of miles for March, April and May.

We sent off complaints from both accounts, but of course they rarely if ever respond so don't know where to go next. Hard to believe the airlines would entrust their reputation to such crappy companies.

I'll let you know if I hear anything, but so far I haven't even got so much as an automated acknowledgement.

To Korruptor: not that it will make you feel any better about this piece of crap software or not getting the miles you earned, but the "not earning" button isn't about the searches. The "earning" vs "not earning" button indicator refers to whether the page you are on earns shopping miles from the UA mall or not. (I'd imagine the earning indicator only comes on when you are also logged in, but I haven't tried it when I wasn't logged in.)

FTF
Old Jul 14, 2011, 9:57 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
I have the similar USAirways toolbar installed on IE on the same machine as the MP tool on FF, and it works fine.

FF has the same problem you guys are reporting. The UA MP toolbar is installed on FF 5.0, upgraded with it on the previous version.

Maybe the new FF is the problem??

Maybe we need to uninstall and reinstall?
Old Jul 15, 2011, 6:51 am

Good thought, SuperFlyBoy, but Mrs FTF and I are using IE (different versions), and yesterday before I posted I uninstalled and reinstalled Mrs FTF's version on her computer. @:-) It stayed the same - unseeing and unknowing.

So I don't think it's a Firefox version issue. No reason not to try, though.

FTF
Old Jul 15, 2011, 7:03 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by FullTimeFlyer
Good thought, SuperFlyBoy, but Mrs FTF and I are using IE (different versions), and yesterday before I posted I uninstalled and reinstalled Mrs FTF's version on her computer. @:-) It stayed the same - unseeing and unknowing.

So I don't think it's a Firefox version issue. No reason not to try, though.

FTF
Thanks for the feedback.

The USAirways toolbar and the UA toolbar are possibly different companies - not sure...

Buttons appear different, but both use Yahoo search engines.

I know that AA's and UA's shopping portals are both operated by Vesdia (sp?), and I think US's is different. (Note that mileage yields with AA are much higher than with UA, and US normally earns the least out of the 3, IME...)
Old Jul 15, 2011, 9:20 pm

Sounds like a little class action suit is needed (from someone who has the time and energy to spearhead that) --- United advertises ways to earn miles then doesn't come through. I'm seeing it time and again with their mileage offers.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Thanks for the feedback.

The USAirways toolbar and the UA toolbar are possibly different companies - not sure...

Buttons appear different, but both use Yahoo search engines.

I know that AA's and UA's shopping portals are both operated by Vesdia (sp?), and I think US's is different. (Note that mileage yields with AA are much higher than with UA, and US normally earns the least out of the 3, IME...)
I believe they're all from the same place...malls operated by a company called Vesdia (possibly evil, more likely just incompetent) and the toolbars from a company called Freecause (incompetent). You can actually see the "freecause" come up on internet addresses during searches, or at least I can on IE. (No experience with other browsers.)

FTF
Old Jul 20, 2011, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by FullTimeFlyer
I believe they're all from the same place...malls operated by a company called Vesdia (possibly evil, more likely just incompetent) and the toolbars from a company called Freecause (incompetent). You can actually see the "freecause" come up on internet addresses during searches, or at least I can on IE. (No experience with other browsers.)
First -> Nothing posted to UAL & nothing showed credited on mileageplusshopping.com
Second -> Toolbar stopped showing miles earned (like many above)
Third -> Receive notice that 3 months of search is going to post, but all values less than half the actual earned amount.
Fourth -> The incorrect search values show up on mileageplusshopping.com but not UAL.com
Fifth -> Vesdia sends a notice the 250 miles signup bonus posted (after a second email regarding the bonus). The bonus posted UAL.com but the search miles still aren't there.
Sixth -> I have a purchase that isn't showing up on mileageplusshopping.com even though i clicked through and the toolbar showed "earning miles"

I don't think it's a good use of time to chase the other 250+ missing miles, but this is just horrible every step of the process.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 11:03 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Silver, Aeroplan 25K, DVC
I noticed that the searches and miles tally has reappeared on my Mileage Plus Shopping toolbar today.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Great White North
I noticed that the searches and miles tally has reappeared on my Mileage Plus Shopping toolbar today.
Me too. It even gave me credit for the occasional searches I did on it trying to wake it up (Mrs FTF too). Guess they fixed whatever was wrong (hey, it's only been 3 weeks!).

Now if they can fix all the rampant undercrediting...

Don't know why this one has been so extremely sucky...the other toolbars are the same underlying crap with denied credit for arbitrary and unpredictable reasons and all that, but they have always delivered the credits they said they would, at least for me.

FTF

Originally Posted by MyTravels
Fourth -> The incorrect search values show up on mileageplusshopping.com but not UAL.com

I don't think it's a good use of time to chase the other 250+ missing miles, but this is just horrible every step of the process.
Can't help with most of this, MyTravels, but as far as the fourth point, the search credits have "always" (meaning on the other airline programs) shown up on the mall account before they do on the airline account. I've never timed the interval, but I'd guess maybe 3 weeks before. So that (alone) is probably no problem.

Everyone's right to be frustrated, and I wouldn't tell anyone it's a good use of time since I have no idea what will work, but I'd still like to encourage everyone to file a complaint online about the missing miles.

As far as the missing miles for the purchase, BTW, I've frequently had to complain, but the complaint has always worked for me so far on uncredited purchases.

It shouldn't be this much trouble, and it's very reasonable to hate the incompetence, but it does usually work. I'm very, very guardedly optimistic we might see the missing miles fixed.

FTF

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 21, 2011 at 1:31 pm Reason: merge

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.