VDB taken back

Old Mar 17, 2011, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Connections are one thing, but non-connecting passengers not being where they are supposed to be, when they are supposed to be is when there are unforeseen variables.
I am a bit curious, I know you guys get a lot of info on the composition of the load, inbound connections, etc.

I've had 320s that are "Over by 30" and don't need in the end, and in one case, an agent told me that the "load" actually includes people who were booked and their reservation cancelled before, etc.

How do connecting passengers get accounted for on the GIDS screens? Are they "checked in" when they check-in, or when their connection parks?
Old Mar 17, 2011, 5:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
the point under discussion was No Harm, No Foul. The original traveller got what was purchased/promised (without going into if one E+ aisle seat {or whatever the case was} is better than another). If either the above happen, it is a different story.
How do you know that? I don't see where it is known that the OP's son got the same exact seat he had. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 5:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
How do you know that? I don't see where it is known that the OP's son got the same exact seat he had. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't.
Would have suspected if the re-seating (if any) had been an issue, would have been noted --since no dissatisfaction on seating was mentioned, No Harm No Foul
Old Mar 17, 2011, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by IADtoWhere
This is why once I get the vdb cert in my hand, I take off and don't come back!
Once you have the certs disappear!

Originally Posted by g_leyser
They obviously ended up not needing his seat, since he was put back on the original flight. No VDB, therefore no VDB compensation.
If they didn't need the seat then they shouldn't have processed the VDB. @:-) That's why they ask for volunteers and process them later - they usually wait until boarding has started (or finished) to process.

My hunch is that they simply would not ask a well-dressed business man in his 50s to return the VDB. Just a hunch. And that's what the OP is asking about: did his son get screwed because he is young, looks young, and so forth. None of us knows, obviously, but my guess is yes.

Edited to add: Being 1P makes the situation worse as well. UA should have said, "We goofed. Here is your original seat back. Enjoy the VDB."
Exactly. If they're not sure they need someone they shouldn't process it. In similar situations I've heard of them putting someone on the plane but never had heard of them taking the voucher out of someone's hand after they've given it

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 17, 2011 at 6:44 pm Reason: merge
Old Mar 17, 2011, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by hobo13
And a completely different scenario than that described by the OP.
You know what they say about sarcasm. I never claimed that it was the same scenario. I only posted the specifics when magiciansampras asked for details. I was also responding to your post where you stated you had never heard of a GA processing a VDB ahead of time. Although, how do you know it is a completely different scenario? All that was posted in the OP was that a VDB was given and then taken back. None of us have any idea why that happened.

And you think this is akin to what the OP's son experienced?
Not sure why you are so confused. You asked for details about MY VDB experience. I'm not the OP or the OP's son so I'm not sure why you would think I was trying to equate MY situation to the OP's son's. And as I stated above, none of us were there so we really have no idea the exact reason. Apparently it is only ok to speculate when it fits YOUR idea of what happened???
Old Mar 17, 2011, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by justhere
You asked for details about MY VDB experience.
Because you posited that "this" had happened to you before. I had no way of knowing that your version of "this" isn't remotely close to what happened to the OP's son. I do know that now, however, so thanks for the details.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Because you posited that "this" had happened to you before. I had no way of knowing that your version of "this" isn't remotely close to what happened to the OP's son. I do know that now, however, so thanks for the details.
In the context of the posts in this thread, the "this" that you are referring to was, I thought, clear. I apologize if it was not so.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by justhere
In the context of the posts in this thread, the "this" that you are referring to was, I thought, clear. I apologize if it was not so.
No need to apologize my man, we're all friends here. I assume everyone is wrong anyway.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by IADtoWhere
This is why once I get the vdb cert in my hand, I take off and don't come back!
+1
Old Mar 18, 2011, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I think you should file a law suit over this, taking advange of an adult like that, how dare UA do this...

Originally Posted by euslaner
I understand that, but my question is: Did they take advantage of him--switching him and then switching him back to get the cert back?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.