Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Take a chance on LH A380 same-day upgrade w SWU?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Take a chance on LH A380 same-day upgrade w SWU?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2011, 6:19 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bennijiggs
For you and I perhaps it doesnt, for others it could be a deal breaker. Free Booze on a 9-12 hour flight for someone who likes to drink a lot could be a huge bonus.
Sure, you get free booze. Still doesn't make up for the small seats.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 8:37 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Sure, you get free booze. Still doesn't make up for the small seats.
Yeah seriously - i mean let's say you had to pay for it. We're talking about $30 max of booze... $30 is nothing when you're flying around the world! I'm on FRA-SFO on the A380 later this year. GF and I will be taking our chances w/ the same-day paper SWUs!
Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:11 am

Don't get me wrong, I could barely be called a social drinker, so alcohol is of no importance to me. But I see so many posts, where posters complain about the low quality of free booze and trash the RCCs, yet folks cave in to the extremely uncomfortable LH seats just because of free booze, whatever the quality seems to be. There is an obvious disconnect. What's that all about?
Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Maybe one of the reasons SWUs aren't clearing is because the A380s replace the 744 with 16 F seats so there are a lot less F seats per day than before.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 3:19 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
If you want an awesome Biz A380 experience, fly on Emirates - PERIOD. C on the LH A380 is pretty much just like LH C on any other aircraft (just a little quieter).

TFD
Old Apr 22, 2011, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Task Force DL
If you want an awesome Biz A380 experience, fly on Emirates - PERIOD. C on the LH A380 is pretty much just like LH C on any other aircraft (just a little quieter).

TFD
EK still has sloping (not fully horizontal) beds there right? They did not seem "awesome" to me on 77W.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Y to C

Apparently the C to F upgrade is difficult. Any success with the Y to C upgrade though? I'm happy with any space on the upper deck
Old Apr 23, 2011, 10:23 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
FRA-JFK

APRIL 22nd. Didn't clear J-F but had no problem getting put on the list with my SWU the morning of departure. Entire flight sold out.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 12:23 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by azepine00
EK still has sloping (not fully horizontal) beds there right? They did not seem "awesome" to me on 77W.
The 388 c beds are lie-flat and are far superior to the 77W beds. The best 7W beds (imo) are on SQ and QR.

But now I am way OT (sorry).

TFD
Old Apr 24, 2011, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by SFflyer123
I agree with this. If you have good entertainment, then clearly UA E+ is much better. That extra 4 inches makes a huge difference over time. I however, have no home entertainment to bring on the plane, so I need it all to be provided to me. Otherwise, I'm bored silly. Thus, the AVOD for me is very important. It's the only time that I ever watch movies anymore.
You must be the only person in the Bay Area without an iPad

Seriously, if you fly enough to be a 1K, the "investment" of buying your own IFE device is sooo worth it. I have been carrying on my own movies using 4" harddisk-based personal media players and (for the last year) iPads for at least five years. I am never bored silly. And I get to watch exactly what I want, without UA censorship (edited to fit the format and audience).

I'd never pick LH Y over UA E+. Free booze is just not worth the pain. So I don't think I'll ever risk a SWU upgrade on the LH A380.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Good idea.

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
You must be the only person in the Bay Area without an iPad

Seriously, if you fly enough to be a 1K, the "investment" of buying your own IFE device is sooo worth it. I have been carrying on my own movies using 4" harddisk-based personal media players and (for the last year) iPads for at least five years. I am never bored silly. And I get to watch exactly what I want, without UA censorship (edited to fit the format and audience).

I'd never pick LH Y over UA E+. Free booze is just not worth the pain. So I don't think I'll ever risk a SWU upgrade on the LH A380.
This is a good idea, to use the ipad as an entertainment device. I do have an ipad, but I mainly use it for internet surfing. I am not sure how to download movies onto the ipad for free. If it costs money, I ain't doing it. Only if I can get free movies, just like I can get free movies on LH AVOD. I am too cheap to pay for movies...

The movies are like $15 each, so that is very expensive, much more than a theater. For an 11 hour flight, that's 5-6 movies ($60 for movies). Not worth it in my opinion.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 11:45 pm

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Task Force DL
The 388 c beds are lie-flat and are far superior to the 77W beds.
Not true. The LH C seats (not beds) are the sloping flat with a 10-15 degree angle, not true lie flat horizontal. They are the same LH C seats used the past 10 years and are nowhere near state of the art. If you like sliding down all night, this seat is for you. It's debatable at best to say they are far superior to the old UA C cradle seats.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 2:50 am

Programs: Airlines: UA-CO, NH, AA, and DL Hotels: SPG, Accor, PC, and Marriott
Originally Posted by SFOTurtle
Not true. The LH C seats (not beds) are the sloping flat with a 10-15 degree angle, not true lie flat horizontal. They are the same LH C seats used the past 10 years and are nowhere near state of the art. If you like sliding down all night, this seat is for you. It's debatable at best to say they are far superior to the old UA C cradle seats.
UA C recliners had decent padding. They weren't lie flat but were still workable as far as sleeping goes; LH C seats still require quite a bit of playing around to fall asleep on, so I too find it hard to say they're superior than LH's C seat.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 3:18 am

Programs: LH SEN, SPG Gold, HH Diamond
The movies are like $15 each, so that is very expensive, much more than a theater. For an 11 hour flight, that's 5-6 movies ($60 for movies). Not worth it in my opinion.
You can rent them for $4 a piece - can watch them withing 30 days of rental, but must finish watching within 24 hours from starting. I never get more than 3 movies since I get bored or tired after 2 movies. With 3 movies you're under $15, not that bad. I wouldn't pay $15/movie either for in-flight.

Originally Posted by SFOTurtle
Actually they're also good for resting. I don't know what you guys wear on these flights, with jeans and a shirt you don't really slide anywhere. Of course the seats are the same as they've used for a while, but I'd use my SWU for it. The 388 C cabin is significantly quieter than the 744.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 9:01 am

Programs: Various
This is a good idea, to use the ipad as an entertainment device. I do have an ipad, but I mainly use it for internet surfing. I am not sure how to download movies onto the ipad for free. If it costs money, I ain't doing it. Only if I can get free movies, just like I can get free movies on LH AVOD. I am too cheap to pay for movies...

Off topic, but you can copy movies over to your iPad for free. A movie has to be in the mp4 format, though. There are free tools to do this sort of conversion on the web, or you could check out http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/ - they often have very nice DVD ripping and converting software (I use Aiseesoft, which I found there, and which has a special "iPad" format that you can choose).

After you have a mp4, open up iTunes, and select Movies in the library. Add the folder to the libraries, or drag the file over to the iTunes screen, and it can be synced to your iPad the next time you start it up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.