Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

11 March Magnitude 9.0 Earthquake in Northern Japan and Impact to UA's Operations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

11 March Magnitude 9.0 Earthquake in Northern Japan and Impact to UA's Operations

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2011, 1:12 pm

Earthquake

My husband was to land at narita - DL275 - and i was told he was diverted to sapporo. does anyone know what the conditions at that airport are?
Thank you.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by eisnachm
News agencies are now reporting another 6.6 quake. It is not being described as an aftershock, but a separate quake altogether with a different epicenter.

Good luck to everyone over there.
There will be different epicenters for the after shocks and due to the new stress/strains caused by this earth motion there will be adjustments to other pieces of crust, nearby and not-so-nearby.

Some good links here and here .

If you go back in time on the first link you'll see fore shock info. Precursors for the larger quake.

Last edited by dsquared37; Mar 11, 2011 at 1:19 pm Reason: additional info
Old Mar 11, 2011, 1:19 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by Ninky
My husband was to land at narita - DL275 - and i was told he was diverted to sapporo. does anyone know what the conditions at that airport are?
Thank you.
Ninky, welcome to FlyerTalk!

There's much more information in our Japan Forum (including posts from members who live in Japan and/or can translate and relate the news reports from the region) regarding this developing event; you might want to take a look over there.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-509/

Originally Posted by weegiewife
Google has assembled a resource page that includes not only peoplefinder but message service links for the main cell network companies:

http://www.google.com/crisisresponse...quake2011.html

Good luck on contacting your husband and safe travels to him.

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
United Mileage Plus Forum

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 11, 2011 at 4:18 pm
Old Mar 11, 2011, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BD Silver, Amtrak Select, SPG & PCR Plat/ICH Amb, AA, AS, DL, PR
Originally Posted by HerbFlyer
Departed LAX on 3/10 bound for NRT on UA891 (new configuration inside and new CO/UA paint outside). About an hour outside Tokyo the Captain said that there was major devastation around Tokyo and that we weren't yet sure what would happen to us, but that we could listen to CH9. Most of the DL/UA/JL flights were requesting to land at KIX/ITM/NGO but were basically told by Tokyo ground that the other airports were full due to diversions. Eventually we got approval to go up to Sapporo, but we ended up circling for awhile as various DL/AC/AA flights declared fuel emergencies and landed ahead of us. We parked at the gate around 5ish, and were told the ground staff were trying to get things arranged for us. Evidently some of the folks on the plane didn't have visas for Japan (or weren't eligible for them), and so they were trying to pace the arrivals through immigrations plane by plane. We disembarked around 8pm, but the airport ground staff was clearly overwhelmed, as our bags came up around 9:40pm or so, at which point United put us on buses to two local hotels. We're told that we should queue up for a noon bus departure tomorrow, which hopefully will put us into Narita in time for the bank of intra-Asia connections.

Although this has been a major inconvenience it has only been that, and not anything serious. The UA flight attendants and Captain did a great job communicating what they could as the evening progressed. The Captain said that UA882 from Bangkok today landed in Narita a few moments before the quake struck and due to immigration being closed and the terminals evacuated, supposedly the passengers ended up being stuck on the plane for 5+ hours ... so there's a silver lining here in Sapporo, even if it's hard to recognize right now.
Originally Posted by WeidongGuo
I am on US 891 LA to NRT today and the flight was diverted to Sapporo. It was a mess -- took four hours to clear the custom and got our bags. UA paid hotel and meals toight. We are waiting for news tomorrow to see where we will be going since NRT is closed and it maybe closed for days.
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I used to live in Sapporo/CTS, so I'm trying to imagine what New Chitose Airport is looking like right now! What hotel did they put you guys up at?
Old Mar 11, 2011, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/Gold
Originally Posted by N751PR
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I used to live in Sapporo/CTS, so I'm trying to imagine what New Chitose Airport is looking like right now! What hotel did they put you guys up at?
We've been split among the Grand Hotel New Oji and the sibling Plaza Hotel New Oji.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Current news reports are that both NRT and HND have now re-opened.
Aside from backlogged commercial flights, reports of disaster relief flights also scheduled. Bay Area news of firefighter and disaster relief team waiting to leave for Tokyo. Riverside city disaster relief team being petitioned to be among the first 2 USA teams sent to Japan, because of Riverside sister-city status with Sendai (which saw major destruction, among which its airport was flooded by tsunami and significantly damaged).
Old Mar 11, 2011, 3:53 pm

Hello,

I am looking for my niece Rachael Cummings and John Briley. What hotels did you all stay in. She was in United Flight #891

Thank you.

Grace

Originally Posted by HerbFlyer
Departed LAX on 3/10 bound for NRT on UA891 (new configuration inside and new CO/UA paint outside). About an hour outside Tokyo the Captain said that there was major devastation around Tokyo and that we weren't yet sure what would happen to us, but that we could listen to CH9. Most of the DL/UA/JL flights were requesting to land at KIX/ITM/NGO but were basically told by Tokyo ground that the other airports were full due to diversions. Eventually we got approval to go up to Sapporo, but we ended up circling for awhile as various DL/AC/AA flights declared fuel emergencies and landed ahead of us. We parked at the gate around 5ish, and were told the ground staff were trying to get things arranged for us. Evidently some of the folks on the plane didn't have visas for Japan (or weren't eligible for them), and so they were trying to pace the arrivals through immigrations plane by plane. We disembarked around 8pm, but the airport ground staff was clearly overwhelmed, as our bags came up around 9:40pm or so, at which point United put us on buses to two local hotels. We're told that we should queue up for a noon bus departure tomorrow, which hopefully will put us into Narita in time for the bank of intra-Asia connections.

Although this has been a major inconvenience it has only been that, and not anything serious. The UA flight attendants and Captain did a great job communicating what they could as the evening progressed. The Captain said that UA882 from Bangkok today landed in Narita a few moments before the quake struck and due to immigration being closed and the terminals evacuated, supposedly the passengers ended up being stuck on the plane for 5+ hours ... so there's a silver lining here in Sapporo, even if it's hard to recognize right now.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 4:38 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Flight 875 (SEA-NRT) is one of a few United flights that landed in KIX on Friday instead of NRT. After they broke the news to the passengers that we were on our own (no hotel, no automatic rebooking), the purser offered up the best advice -- Call UA and rebook asap.

It's Saturday morning and there is a line of disgruntled/abandoned UA passengers from various diverted flights .. all waiting at the United ticket counter. There appears to be a rumor going around that someone from United will show up earlier than the usual 3:30pm opening time.. but that hasn't quite happened. Some others are trying to get back to Tokyo via ANA or JAL (purchasing their own tickets).. people have reported long hold times when calling UA, which isn't ideal with those calling cards or credit card calls.

Overall, the most impressive airline in all of this has been Thai.. they have rebooked the UA folks who were connecting in NRT to BKK on the KIX-BKK flights.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Grace2011
Hello,

I am looking for my niece Rachael Cummings and John Briley. What hotels did you all stay in. She was in United Flight #891

Thank you.

Grace
You may also want to try the Google "person finder" for the current crisis:

http://www.google.com/crisisresponse...quake2011.html
Old Mar 11, 2011, 5:09 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K United 1K
Anyone know what happened to UA 881 ord-nrt on 10Mar that diverted to ANC?
Old Mar 11, 2011, 5:30 pm

Programs: SPG, MR, Aeroplan, UAMP, BAEC
Narita operational from Mar 12

Narita Airport resumes operation from today, Mar 12. Public transport access, espacially JR Narita Express and Keisei Skyliner, remains disrupted or limited though.
http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/index.html
Old Mar 11, 2011, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by izzik
Flight 875 (SEA-NRT) is one of a few United flights that landed in KIX on Friday instead of NRT. After they broke the news to the passengers that we were on our own (no hotel, no automatic rebooking), the purser offered up the best advice -- Call UA and rebook asap.

It's Saturday morning and there is a line of disgruntled/abandoned UA passengers from various diverted flights .. all waiting at the United ticket counter. There appears to be a rumor going around that someone from United will show up earlier than the usual 3:30pm opening time.. but that hasn't quite happened. Some others are trying to get back to Tokyo via ANA or JAL (purchasing their own tickets).. people have reported long hold times when calling UA, which isn't ideal with those calling cards or credit card calls.
I was on UA 837 that diverted to KIX, and yes, I met a lot of shocked/confused pax who didn't know what to do (or hadn't even understood the PA announcement upon arrival). I booked the Hyatt while in line at immigrations and got there with a mix of JR Rail and taxi. Arrived around 12:30am and spent the next three hours on the phone with UA to rebook. Quite frankly, the agents were anything but prepared or helpful. One told me the SFO-NRT plane I was on that diverted to KIX surely would continue on to BKK from KIX today "as originally planned". One tried to rebook me through HKG-SGN-BKK arriving Monday night in BBB (if I had actually gotten there without Vietnam visa). Finally while on hold I found four seats on this morning's Thai flig from Osaka to BkK and got an agent to book me on that, but she "forgot" to call Thai and confirm to get the PNR. Fin all got that straightened o this morning and now I am in the Royal Thai lounge looking a that beautiful 777 that's going to get me out of here in an hour or so. No thanks to UA for that.

Overall, the most impressive airline in all of this has been Thai.. they have rebooked the UA folks who were connecting in NRT to BKK on the KIX-BKK flights.
Guess I should have just talked to them at the airport last night.

Some in the Hyatt told me that AA booked the entire plane load of displaced/diverted pax into the Hyatt and provided breakfast vouchers to boot.

Update: just did the customer appreciation email. My wife (1P) and I (1K) each got the same choices -- 10k miles, $250 domestic voucher or 10% off.

Last edited by notquiteaff; Mar 11, 2011 at 6:04 pm
Old Mar 11, 2011, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA-1K (3MM); AA-Gold (1MM); Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I was on UA 837 that diverted to KIX, and yes, I met a lot of shocked/confused pax who didn't know what to do (or hadn't even understood the PA announcement upon arrival). I booked the Hyatt while in line at immigrations and got there with a mix of JR Rail and taxi. Arrived around 12:30am and spent the next three hours on the phone with UA to rebook. Quite frankly, the agents were anything but prepared or helpful. One told me the SFO-NRT plane I was on that diverted to KIX surely would continue on to BKK from KIX today "as originally planned". One tried to rebook me through HKG-SGN-BKK arriving Monday night in BBB (if I had actually gotten there without Vietnam visa). Finally while on hold I found four seats on this morning's Thai flig from Osaka to BkK and got an agent to book me on that, but she "forgot" to call Thai and confirm to get the PNR. Fin all got that straightened o this morning and now I am in the Royal Thai lounge looking a that beautiful 777 that's going to get me out of here in an hour or so. No thanks to UA for that.

Guess I should have just talked to them at the airport last night.

Some in the Hyatt told me that AA booked the entire plane load of displaced/diverted pax into the Hyatt and provided breakfast vouchers to boot.

Update: just did the customer appreciation email. My wife (1P) and I (1K) each got the same choices -- 10k miles, $250 domestic voucher or 10% off.
Hi there,

I too was on UA837 departing from SFO on 10MAR. When the captain announced we were going to KIX I called UA from the aircraft and got booked on the 00h30 from KIX to BKK. I was actually making my way to KBV (Krabi, Thailand) with my wife.

I actually tried to get the SQ flight at 23h30 however when I was speaking to UA res she said that UA cannot protect on SQ. That is when she would book the TG flight.

I agree that UA ersn ot helpful at all. When I asked to be put on the TG flight at 00h30 she said she would have to wait 12 hours before she can reissue the ticket as TG was closed. I then asked if she could call TG in Thailand. No can do. Can you call the UA's UK offices (as it was mid-day in LHR) and have them confirm with TG in LHR. No can do.

So I then called UA in LHR and the ticket was reissued before our refueling was done.

So...ended up on the TG flight from KIX to BKK at 00h30 and now waiting for the flight to KBV. Very happy to have gotten out last night because if we flew to SIN or BKK today we would not get to KBV until Sunday and lose a day of our holidays. When I had called there were only 4 C class seats left on TG and grabbed two for my wife and I.

notquiteaff where were you seated on UA 837? We were in 4C/4H.

btw the announcement that we were on our own was made by ANA representatives as they made the announcement from the door beside my row.

At the ANA counter in the arrival areas there was 3 pieces of paper with UA's phone number. I went up to level 4 to get my TG boarding passes and UA representatives were at their counter (which is back-to-back to TG's counter.

Safe travels.
Cheers
Old Mar 11, 2011, 7:20 pm

Programs: AC SE, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Priority Club Gold
Exclamation

If there are any UA First, Business, GS or 1K pax destined for the U.S. in the ANA lounge right now (11:19am) you may want to go go to gate 33. I went for a walk around the terminal about 15 mins ago and heard this announcement. No indication of reason but any information at this point would constitute good news.

Best of luck and safe travels.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA 2.5MM; HH Diamond; Hyatt Platinum; MR Gold
Originally Posted by izzik
I was on the same flight. I realize this was a natural disaster, but the message provided upon landing -- which didn't include UA's reservaton # for those who didn't know it and didn't provide any information as to when UA personnel would be at the airport to assist -- didn't exactly put UA in a good light. And the response at KIX was, apparently, vastly inferior to what happened to those diverted to Sapporo.

I got through immigration very quickly, and, as the purser advised, phoned UA reservations. I was on hold for a while, but managed to get rebooked onto Asiana's 12:50 pm flight from KIX to Incheon today.

The hotel is an entirely different matter (ended up finding and booking a hotel in suburban Kobe that was about 1.75 hours from KIX - and required a not inexpensive taxi ride as I missed the last subway.)

I received the same customer appreciation offer as others have mentioned -- it'll about cover the hotel and all non-taxi transportation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.