Wiki Posts
Search

Best and worst airports

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2011, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, F9 Summit, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by weero
For transfer I'd still claim that IAD is more racist and CDG is more idiotic than FRA. FRA is not evil by design, it is just a symbol of political imbecility.

Did not run into it in 4 recent crossings.

Do you also not fly via SEA or SAN or DFW for that reason?

HKG would be a whole lot nicer if they did not do the cavity search while boarding UA.
Elaborate on CDG for me - Ive not flown in there. Ive been either in FRA, or ZRH
Old Mar 7, 2011, 10:53 am

For ease of use: DCA
For it's beauty and the shopping: YVR
Old Mar 7, 2011, 10:57 am
Suspended

Alirports

Originally Posted by Skacorica
I just asked a question in another thread, which prompted me to do a search and I found a few threads related, but no definitively titled one.

What do you guys find to be the best airports you frequent? How about the worst? What I mean is flight timeliness/reliability, connections, staff availability and friendliness, and overall experience?

I realize there are different classes of airports (comparing John Wayne to LAX is obviously not a fair comparison) but in general?

I am fortunate that my home base (DIA) is fairly reliable and generally have helpful staff. The fact that the land is huge and there are a lot of runways means not a lot of delays.

On the other hand, I have to connect through ORD quite often and I am almost always delayed, the staff seem much more rude in general, and I always feel a bit unhappier after having spent time there.
As a DL flyer I avoid ATL when possible now, favoring MEM and DTW. MSP and SLC and PDX are solid.

In Asia I especially like SIN, ICN, and NRT. The SkyTeam lounges at ICN and NRT are first-rate with great showers, food, drink, and WiFi.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 11:28 am

Programs: AA EXP via status match, COdbaUA 1K
Most of the airports i fly to and from are awful. JFK in particular. LAX doesnt bother me, I know it isnt great but it has a decent RCC so it gets a pass plus it has a few decent food options for takeaway. Not great mind you, but it doesnt bother me.

Other domestic include mccarron in vegas (awful taxi line), SLC okay but nothing special.

Internationally FRA is atrocious unless flying F. I do like Zurich quite a bit and Munich is pretty decent too.

Last edited by mroban; Mar 7, 2011 at 3:33 pm Reason: made a mistake
Old Mar 7, 2011, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA GM (ex 1K-lite), Priority Club Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, DL GM
Internationally ICN is still my favorite in spite of distance from Seoul. Domestically I'm still fond of SFO. ORD has almost no redeeming qualities except the Billy Goat in the food court and Goose Island beer...

(Surprised at the votes for BOS -- the worst driving (signage) airport I know.)
Old Mar 7, 2011, 2:12 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Best:
- SFO: United has a good terminal with great food options, a nice lounge and there's BART and Caltrain to get into the city
- ORD: I like the United terminal, since the new runway opened, delays are town and there's CTA access to Chicago.
- JFK: I know the United terminal isn't the best but I love this airport. The spotting is great, there's the Airtrain and the subway to downtown and I don't usually have a problem with delays.
- PHX: Sure, Terminal 2 is awful, but there's a nice RCC, a Paradise Bakery and you can park right across from it. Plus you can get the Light Rail now.
- RDU: How about that new terminal?

Worst:
- IAD: I have nothing good to say about this airport. It's far from DC and the bus is annoying, the United terminal is terrible in every way (and I always seem to be stuck with D21 to C8 connections).
- SMF: The terminal United is in is just horrendous.
- DEN: While I like the airport, I hate being so far from downtown and so far from hotels to overnight at.
- LAX: Terminal 8 is awful, there aren't any good places to eat and I always seem to get stuck with long taxis, occupied gates and terrible traffic when I leave the airport.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA GS, MM, AA (EXP), SPG Platinum, Priority Club, Ambassador Platinum, Global Entry
My top pick is my home airport in Klamath Falls, Oregon (LMT) where I am addressed by name and you can still part for FREE for up to 30 days in a paved and well lit lot. Amazing!
Old Mar 7, 2011, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA-Gold, 1MM, Marriott Gold, Global Entry
The Good: I'm a DCA fan; DEN, TUS, Any HI AP, because I'm in HI. LAX, SFO, FAT, PIT, TPA, ASE, MCO.

Bad: IAD, SAN, SEA, MIA, LGA, STL, ATL

Ugly: PHL, EWR, MSY

Love LHR for it's melting pot, mystery, & messiness.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Any airport that regularly uses stairs for mainline flights (including 747s) is a third-world airport.
Originally Posted by N1120A
I disagree.

1) I love using stairs.
And there you have it, ladies and gentlemen. YMMV!
Old Mar 7, 2011, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Best: MUC, MRS, & CMH

Worst: AMS, PHL, ATL
Old Mar 7, 2011, 6:56 pm

Programs: AS mvp gold UA 1K HH Gold
Best kept secret in SOCAL

Carlsbad (CLD, CRQ if you fly) is the best kept secret in southern California. The UAL staff is outstanding, the lines are short (they have to be, 30 PAX max) and you can connect through LAX to any place you need to be. Did I mention parking is 5 bucks a day?
Old Mar 7, 2011, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Best?

Domestically, I really like:

PIT- clean, efficient, never had a long wait, once you're through security, the terminals are all connected, great selection of stores and food.

BOS- but ONLY for ease of getting into the city and back on public transit. And the Legal Seafoods in every terminal. Otherwise it's kind of dirty and gross...except for the renovated terminal E, which ALWAYS has long lines.

Internationally:

I'm actually a really big fan of BCN...big, clean, spacious- GREAT shopping...unfortunately, they use buses to and from the planes a lot of the time, but other than that, it's beautiful.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 7:23 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Worst Domestic: Gainesville, FL
Worst Intl.: Berlin Schoenefeld
Best Domestic: HNL (because of the singsong announcements and bec,. I'm in HI)
Best Intl.: Cologne (nearly totally silent)
Old Mar 7, 2011, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA Exec Plt 2MM, HH Diamond, *wood Gold, disgruntled Amex Ex-Centurion
Like: YVR, MUC, CGN, AUS

OK: FRA, LAX, ORD, SFO, DEN, HNL, YYJ

Hate: IAD, LHR, CDG, JFK

(I only listed the airports I frequent most).

Top gripe of them all: incoming international connections at IAD: immigration, customs, security - a zoo, fit for North Korea or the Sovjet Union (back in the 80s), but not for the capital of the USA.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Best: MUC, SIN and BUR
Worst: LAX, LAX, LAX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.