Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best and worst airports

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2011, 4:28 pm

Best: Changi - Singapore Worst: LCCT - Kuala Lumpur
Old Mar 6, 2011, 5:02 pm

I have to say I dislike SYD for incoming international flights. It was very hot and humid in the baggage claim, and it seems to have an artificial feeling.

By far the favorite airport I have ever been to is TVC. Great architecture, all of the gates are close, albeit there are only 4. UA only fly's to Chicago from TVC. Actually, I am pretty sure you can only fly to Chicago, Minneapolis, Detroit, or Marquette MI.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Like: DEN,MCI,SFO,PWM,MCO,RDU,FRA

Dislike: LAX,IAD,IAH,EWR,LGA,
For a city as large as KC, the MCI airport feels like I small town airport (which isn't always a bad thing)...I just wouldn't want to be stuck there for a very long time since the food options are VERY limited for an airport it's size...don't go looking for your traditional airport food court there because it doesn't exist and there wouldn't be room for it to begin with. I love my home airport (PDX)...great food options, easy in/out, free wifi, unique shops, friendly/helpful GAs....the only negative is the fact that you sometimes have to wait longer in the Premier/First Class line than the regular line during the morning rush. Getting back to food, I really love Lori's Diner at SFO...their omelettes make me look forward to morning connections although someone correct me if I'm wrong, but is SFO the only UA hub without a Starbucks??? Yikes!
Old Mar 6, 2011, 5:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I'd definitely have to rate LHR as the worst for one reason - the nude-o-scope. As long as it's mandatory, we won't fly there.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 6:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I'd definitely have to rate LHR as the worst for one reason - the nude-o-scope. As long as it's mandatory, we won't fly there.
Just came out of there (Terminal 1) - didn't see one! But I was using the fast track security.

I know LHR has a bad reputation, but except for the long distance you have to walk to get to Arrivals, it's not too bad in my opinion. The new gates in Terminal 1 have nice light and high ceilings. If you sign up for IRIS, you can be through immigration in seconds. There are a choice of at least 3 trains (including the Tube) to get downtown, depending on how fast you want to get there, and how much you want to spend.

Compare this with CDG, one of the worst designs I've ever seen for a major airport, and the RER train to downtown is very inconvenient to use.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I'm biased as well, but I still think SAN is the best all-around airport to fly in/out of on UA. You can get from gate to curb in 60 seconds (I've timed it), nice RCC which used to have all the cans of soda you'd want in an open fridge, good staff, short security lines for elites most of the time.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
Among those where I've spent significant time...

Best: DTW (though not so much the North terminal, where UA is)
Among UA ones: SFO. DEN is a better airport but gets downgraded for being a PITA to get to.
Worst: IAD. Amazingly it makes ORD seem like paradise.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 6:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by endrond
Best: DTW (though not so much the North terminal, where UA is)
The LH lounge there is nice, however.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 6:37 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
ORD. Flew through there for the first time in years last week. Terrible food and there seems to be all of 3 power outlets in the entire terminal.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 6:41 pm

Programs: M+ 1P Marriott SPG
Incheon is an awesome airport, and super-convenient limousine buses to downtown Seoul ~$15.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA GS
JFK is horrendous. CDG is a nightmare, especially that bizarre spider terminal that's about 5 miles from the other terminal. LGA is cramped. EWR is delay prone. SFO is fine until the fog rolls in. LAX is complicated and awkward. IAD is a mess, the C/D terminal is a national embarrassment. LHR is a mess, way too much walking.

I like DEN, DCA (my favorite airport in the world). DEN is probably 10 miles too faroutside the city, but once you're there it's easy to navigate. Love DCAs small size, short security lines, and the ability to go from gate to parked car in 3 minutes.

The Big Asia airports, SIN, HKG, PVG, are really nice but stupendously huge. SIN especially seems empty. Edge to ICN for free transit amenities and showers, lounges etc for the non-premium passenger.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA 1-K, AA PLT
Best, IMHO is SIN with lots of interesting areas to roam, free internet terminals, shops, etc, and all post security areas connected.

Last edited by Micara; Mar 22, 2011 at 8:24 pm
Old Mar 6, 2011, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Sorry, but I'd say FRA is far from well-functioning. Any airport that regularly uses stairs for mainline flights (including 747s) is a third-world airport.
It was a bit of sarcasm. FRA and CDG make IAD look like a place you want to book your next vacation.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 7:14 pm

Location: CTU/TFU(Chengdu, Sichuan, China) - MIG (Mianyang, Sichuan, China) - EWR/JFK/LGA/HPN (Great New York City Metro Area, NY, USA) - HVN/BDL (New Haven/Hartford, CT, USA)
Programs: UA 1MM/F9 Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Gold; IHG Platinum; Choice Privileges Platinum
FRA

I really dislike FRA out of all the 235 airports I have travelled through

FRA is a very confusing airport in terms of layout and directions; FRA also appears to be an ancient airport (just look at LH's Business/Senator lounges - dated, dark and crowded); FRA always seems to have huge area under construction/maintainence; LH's transfers count can't handle any UA/AC connecting flights; a lot of screens only display star alliance flights (which makes it very challenging for passengers connecting to non-star alliance flights when they arrive on star alliance flights, plus the confusing layout and directions and FRA's big size).......
Old Mar 6, 2011, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by N1120A
Of outstations, these are great:

YYZ - Amazing staff in a station that doesn't have a massive number of 1K/GS, so those of us who are regulars there are always taken care of.

BUF - Very similar to YYZ - must be the water in Lake Ontario.
100% agree here. Both locations have great UA ground staff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.