Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BWI-DCA - The how-to's

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2011, 11:06 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by exerda
(Well, I said DCA-ORD-BWI, but same sentiment.
FYI, most BWI-Europe fares allow routing BWI-ORD-IAD-Europe WAS fares, however, do not allow DCA-ORD-Europe. Go figure....
Old Mar 2, 2011, 11:10 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by exerda
See post #3.
My bad! ^
Old Mar 2, 2011, 11:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
FYI, most BWI-Europe fares allow routing BWI-ORD-IAD-Europe WAS fares, however, do not allow DCA-ORD-Europe. Go figure....
Same with at least some of the San Juan fares (and others, of course), which makes for some nice connections and if any unpleasant conditions, no need for a hotel (assuming you live in Washington)

-jeremy
Old Mar 2, 2011, 1:29 pm

Programs: United 2P
Originally Posted by MKE-MR
Wow...we are all so focused on the trees that we kind of missed the forest.

one way rental from IAD to BWI @:-)

Allows you to forget about timing, stop in Woodley Park, etc etc. Depending on the timing, of course, I've done this for $29 for a day, which beats all the shuttle options hands down.
At least check into it...Hertz is where I've gotten the best rates but on weekends you can probably get it from anybody as IAD has a huge fleet and it's way underutilized on weekends.

Obviously with a DCA pickup, or on a weekday, this may not work as well, but it's still worth checking into as it leaves things much more in your control than any of the public transport options, and if you are on a limited schedule is also waaay more efficient (except in rush hours)
The OP should proce this out for sure. I think you would get hit with a one way rental fee, but if not this would be the most convenient option.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 1:43 pm
Suspended

D.C. Area Airports

Originally Posted by reddirt14
I'm realizing I need to do my mileage runs from the coasts and DC is the cheapest one for me to get to from ORD. I'm not familiar with how to work the three DC airports, but recall hearing about a train leg, probably from IAD to BWI. I seem to recall it being a good deal. Can anyone elaborate how that works?

My real question and more immediate one is if there is a train segment (i.e. get credit for book a train ride) from BWI to DCA or into the city. I need to be in the City for a meeting after I do a mileage run.

Alternatively are there any short hops out and back that can reposition me from BWI back to DCA? Any "secret" routes of the veteran DC flyers that can be shared.

And finally what's the cheapest way to to downtown DC if my attempts to add additional segments and/or EQMs is in vein?

Thanks a lot for entertaining the naive question. I'm looking forward to doing a few runs out of DC this year.
I avoid IAD like an illness because of difficulties of getting to and from the airport. BWI at one time was cheaper for flights because it was a SW hub. Now I O N L Y use DCA, because the cost, most of the time, is about the same for flights. Most of the time in D.C. where I wish to go in on or near the Metro Blue Line. Thus, I just get on at DCA and a few minutes later I am there.

Hint. On the Blue or Yellow Line to D.C. at DCA, if it is cold, raining, or snowing, no need to wait for a particular train. Just take the first one to the city and switch, to the one you want at the next stop: Crystal City. That station is enclosed, unlike the DCA platform.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.