Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

New interim ad campaign + some details of brand "look"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New interim ad campaign + some details of brand "look"

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Question

Does this mean Mileage Plus will remain the name of the mileage program?
Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by amartin1979
My thoughts exactly - seems like it
Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Heh. The favicon in my browser tab is still a tulip, but the rest of united.com is looking hideous now. Ultimately it may not matter from a travel perspective, but I like a good logo and livery, and United had a decent one until now.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 7:38 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Oooh.. more consultant speak:

"About the globe
The globe symbolizes our combined worldwide network spanning all seven continents and serving more than 360 global destinations. It also signals United and Continental coming together to form the world’s leading airline."
Old Mar 1, 2011, 10:37 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PTahCha

"About the globe
The globe symbolizes our combined worldwide network spanning all seven continents and serving more than 360 global destinations. It also signals United and Continental coming together to form the world’s leading airline."
Does this suggest we can expect IAD-McMurdo flights in the near future?

Last edited by as219; Mar 1, 2011 at 1:21 pm
Old Mar 1, 2011, 12:38 pm

This merger is about profits and making money long term. They have a 20-50 year outlook.

My guess is this boring dull uninspiring merger of the two looks - the United name and Continental logo/livery is short term. And by short term I mean 5-10 years.

They don't want to alienate CO customers by making everything "too United". That could really lose them a LOT of customers.

For the next 5-10 years this look / merged branding is purely to keep all UA customers and all CO customers.

When the dust is settled in 10 years time - and everyone (mainly CO customers) are comfortable flying UA - they will launch a new logo/livery/brand.

A lot of money? Sure. But I think it out-weighs the potential loss of hundreds of thousands of CO customers alienated by making EVREYTHING United. That could cost hundreds of millions of dollars.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
With the new logo being plastered front and center on .bomb today,
there is even a new logo section

http://www.united.com/page/genericpa...e=our_new_logo

*cue music*
The globe symbolizes our combined worldwide network spanning six continents and serving more than 360 global destinations. It also signals United and Continental coming together to form the world’s leading airline
Old Mar 1, 2011, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by TIMOS
They don't want to alienate CO customers by making everything "too United". That could really lose them a LOT of customers.

For the next 5-10 years this look / merged branding is purely to keep all UA customers and all CO customers.

When the dust is settled in 10 years time - and everyone (mainly CO customers) are comfortable flying UA - they will launch a new logo/livery/brand.
I think you're mostly right. I think the merged branding schemes are designed to do precisely as you say, to give everyone something to focus on while trying not to alienate anyone. Frankly in 10 years who knows in which direction UACO branding should/will go?
Old Mar 1, 2011, 1:26 pm
jss

Programs: UA 1P (1MM), AA PLT (2MM)
Originally Posted by amartin1979
The bigger ? do I get to keep my familar 000XX-XXX-XXX number?
Old Mar 1, 2011, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by cricketer
Heh. The favicon in my browser tab is still a tulip, but the rest of united.com is looking hideous now. Ultimately it may not matter from a travel perspective, but I like a good logo and livery, and United had a decent one until now.
Clear your cache and you'll see the tulip disappear and in it's place you'll see the new logo.

But if you like the tulip, don't touch anything
Old Mar 1, 2011, 1:52 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Originally Posted by HaeMaker
Not to mention really bad English.

I had to read it three times to figure out what they meant.

I read it like this: "Knowing sure, beats searching", since the line break can replace a comma in a headline.

How can an ad agency fail on such a basic level?
Read it like that too. How cheap is the agency? I wouldn't accept it from an intern in my office.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL GM, Avis First, Sixt Plat
From a design perspective, this merger is a mess. Saul Bass designed both the UA and CO logos, and both those logos have a very clear connection to the name of the company. The tulip shows two U's together, showing unity. The globe refers to how we usually see a continent.

So the geniuses in the new UA decided to just merge both, completely losing what gave both those brands their own merits. Any first-year student at VCU Adcenter or Miami Ad School can come up with campaigns that blow this horror show they're about to launch out of the water. .bomb is being redesigned, so it's starting to look like they'll lose CO's much more functional website to keep something that's broken and right now looks horrible after the changes.

Hopefully sometime in the next few years people will come to their senses and they'll go for an entirely new brand image, because this has become just a random mix and match of two separate brands. Until then, we can only cross our fingers someone will stop and realize things aren't working too well in that department.

Last edited by GiantVulture; Mar 1, 2011 at 5:28 pm Reason: language
Old Mar 1, 2011, 4:20 pm

"About the globe
Take a look again at that page... Looks like an anonymous continent has been dumped:

About the globe
The globe symbolizes our combined worldwide network spanning six continents and serving more than 360 global destinations. It also signals United and Continental coming together to form the world’s leading airline.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 4:29 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by as219
Take a look again at that page... Looks like an anonymous continent has been dumped:

Some intern fact checked! Or has been lurking on FlyerTalk.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 4:31 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Some intern fact checked! Or has been lurking on FlyerTalk.
I'm betting on the latter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.