Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Huge difference between W and S class - truly a new 'high'!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Huge difference between W and S class - truly a new 'high'!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2011, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bmr12
Yes, but you only pay the $500 if the upgrade clears. With the $700, you pay either way. Miles + $$$ is the way to go here.
NC space at time of booking is the real way to go.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by PanHam
And they will. UA fares have been high for a few months now, but will drop. Airfares go in waves - they're riding an ideal combination of high fares and high load factors now, but that ain't going to last forever. It seems like we're slowly shuttling back to 2008, where airliners were afflicted with high oil prices, and tried to raise fares accordingly, but then demand dropped precipitously. Fares were low, but services were cut to compensate (AA eliminating olives to save fuel, anyone?).

I bet that's where we head soon. It's all cyclical in this crazy airline world.
I hope you're right about that and soon. It's getting so screwy that lowest price UA tix ex-SFO to SIN is more expensive than the same flight on SQ. To top it off, the UA W class fare on the same route is half the price again of the lowest price ticket. I'm not going to pay an extra $500 to play "upgrade roulette" where I can "apply" a SWU and "maybe" it will clear. The last few times I did this, nothing ended up clearing except the W fare premium out of my wallet.

I never thought I'd see the day when a mileage accruing Flexi-Saver SQ fare is cheaper than the cheapest UA Y fare on dot bomb...
Old Feb 25, 2011, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Just did some random check BOS-PVG/PEK for random dates April, August, Nov..

CO lowest fares are $1,000-$1,500.

UA W fare could be as high as $2,500.

On most dates, NC=0

No way I am going to pay that much for a chance of SWU clearing.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:28 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Yes, but you only pay the $500 if the upgrade clears. With the $700, you pay either way. Miles + $$$ is the way to go here.
+1. I purchased an L/K ticket IAD-LAX-SYD-LAX-IAD for under $1,400 and upgraded using miles + co-pay. Failed to clear LAX-SYD, but just cleared SYD-LAX (using UDU on the B777 domestic segments). I would not have been happy paying the $800 extra for a W fare to fly in E+, even if it was just one way. I just don't like gambling, so having insurance against losing the upgrade lottery is the way to go for me.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
One problem with Miles + Copay is the fact that you have a lower fare (S/T/K/L), unless you buy up to W, etc.. You'll still be towards the bottom of the list. I did a r/t to SYD in October. 1K on K fare with miles + copay. Failed to clear on both segments.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Innerloop

And there's a good chance that when you book it, it will offer a paid upgrade for $700-$800 that would save your SWU and miles, and probably give a CoS mileage bonus.

Right?
when i booked SFO-NRT-BKK-NRT-SFO the other day in SWU-able fare class, .bomb offered me buy- up to C for $1000 each segment for SFO-NRT and back. Those segments both had NC space, so I declined and upgrades cleared right away.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:57 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
$500 copay is one-way vs. $700 roundtrip fare difference
The copay also is charging you a significant # of miles to redeem as well, which is zone dependent.

Originally Posted by rerunree1
UA wants to sell business class seats, often at a discount:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ach-fares.html
I'm so used to getting a cheap W fare and using my SWUs....
GOOD OL DAYS are GONE!
I don't think the good old days are gone IMO. Your routes are in a down cycle perhaps but I'm still finding them very useful.

Originally Posted by meFIRST

Then there is the AA model, which I think is excessive.
8 SWU's valid on any fare.

Not sure why anyone wants to fly AAntique equipment, with limited pressence in certain parts of the world.

Originally Posted by travel.flier
This is missing the obvious AA comparison
AA SWU = 8, valid on ANY fare good til feb of the next elite year. Longer expiration (in my case it was valid almost 2 full years since I got EXP once in March) and valid on any fare!
meFIRST noted AA above, however your information is informative and persuasive to many.

The miles is significant, thus if there is NC now or the loads are J9C9D9Z9 I would talk to a consolidator for a W fare and use the SWU's. They are of no value if not attempted to be used.

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
NC space at time of booking is the real way to go.
Without a doubt.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 5:38 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Difference from S to W on IAD-FRA-BCN for dates I'm traveling in May was about $250. At least the flights were NC-positive, so I wasn't playing the lottery. Still, the fares were about $300 more total than W on similar dates last year.

Z was pricing out at ~$3300 from what the 1K res agent said... only 3x what W was. If I had a spare $2k sitting around, I would have definitely booked it and gotten the EQM bonus (and had seats with my wife on the FRA-BCN leg; she's on an XC award).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.