Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Boarding Priority or One-Off

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2011, 11:54 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Explorist, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by schley
I hope this isn't Jeff Smisek's FT screen name.
Just more of the changes he thinks you're going to like.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 12:49 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by endrond
+1

Signed,
another 1K
+2 from another 1K.

I don't mind if F/GS were allowed to board before me in C on an international flight.

Now, I will admit that when I flew 3-cabin F on ORD-SFO a few weeks ago (a rare treat for me to be in 3-cabin F on ANY flight), I was hoping that I'd be able to board first, but got to the gate from the RCC about 10 minutes before boarding, the red carpet was already insane, and I was probably 40th or 50th to board...It's expected that there are a ton of 1Ks, plus the 30+ C people, but was hoping/expecting that they'd board F first, like they do internationally/PS. Wasn't a big deal, and surely did not push my way through the line...And we all arrived at the same time anyway.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
At NRT, they actually called GS/1K/F up to stand in one queue, C to stand in another queue, and asked everyone else to remain seated until their section was called. Some unsuspecting *G in Y walked up and were asked to wait until boarding for C was underway. Very orderly, although some (*sheepishly raises hand*) were confused at first.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 1:00 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

My experiences in LHR have often been just to have the GS pax board first, even before F. Or at least I thought that wehen they called me up first to board...
Old Feb 24, 2011, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
And I really think Million Milers should be first in line

But I would, wouldn't I. Oh I do hate not being a 1K this year. I purposely wait to be the last on the plane to avoid the shame of being deloused. I do get that look from the GA of "you could have left the RCC 5 minutes earlier".
Old Feb 25, 2011, 8:18 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Without the worry of bin space, I now tend to board P.S. a bit late. That being said, I do not remember gate agents consistently calling F/GS/1K prior to C, especially at JFK. It tends to be a big glob of "Premium Pax" standing for a mile on the red carpet.

I would like GS/F -> 1k -> C
Old Feb 25, 2011, 8:26 am

Programs: UAMP Gold Million Miler; American, Delta, Southwest; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt; Marriott, A-Plus
What they say over the PA and what passengers do

Are two different things.

Every once in a while a GA will actually holds up people who try to board early. But by and large it has become a stampede because of carry on bags and bin space.

But, really, how do you hold up granny in zone 4 with a ton of non-elites breathing down her neck, trying to carry on their house?
Old Feb 25, 2011, 9:32 am
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jspector106
Are two different things.

Every once in a while a GA will actually holds up people who try to board early. But by and large it has become a stampede because of carry on bags and bin space.

But, really, how do you hold up granny in zone 4 with a ton of non-elites breathing down her neck, trying to carry on their house?
Yeah that's really the issue. What UA ought to do is charge non elites for a carryons that don't fit in the seat underneath. And the fee should be higher than the checked bag fee, so as to encourage bag checking. Either that or forbid non elites from having carryons.

My favorite week of flying ever was the beatiful but brief period where there was an absolute liquid ban and barely anyone had carryon luggage. Planes boarded in 10 minutes.

Originally Posted by afrugal1
Just more of the changes he thinks you're going to like.
Sorry but C should board before steerage. Even precious 1K's travelling in monkey should board after C. Before the other peasants would be fine.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 25, 2011 at 10:47 am Reason: merge
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Without the worry of bin space, I now tend to board P.S. a bit late. That being said, I do not remember gate agents consistently calling F/GS/1K prior to C, especially at JFK. It tends to be a big glob of "Premium Pax" standing for a mile on the red carpet.

I would like GS/F -> 1k -> C
Gotta be careful about bin space in C, though. On this last trip both times I was sitting in C during boarding and heard and FA announce to the hoi polloi waiting in the aisle to get to the back that if they see space in the business class bins they can use it. This was while some of the PS seats were still vacant.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:23 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gawhite411
Yeah that's really the issue. What UA ought to do is charge non elites for a carryons that don't fit in the seat underneath. And the fee should be higher than the checked bag fee, so as to encourage bag checking. Either that or forbid non elites from having carryons.

My favorite week of flying ever was the beatiful but brief period where there was an absolute liquid ban and barely anyone had carryon luggage. Planes boarded in 10 minutes.
So you actually like the Spirit model?
Old Apr 15, 2011, 2:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The sole advantage to boarding early is overhead space. Otherwise, I would just as soon be the last person on the flight. So long as you are among the early boarders in your particular class of service, it does not matter in what order you board. Thus, GS/1K/F followed by C followed by zones gives the GS or 1K travelling in C or Y first dibs on overhead in their cabin.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by Boghopper
Gotta be careful about bin space in C, though. On this last trip both times I was sitting in C during boarding and heard and FA announce to the hoi polloi waiting in the aisle to get to the back that if they see space in the business class bins they can use it. This was while some of the PS seats were still vacant.
They say this often on PS flights. Even with Y folks utilizing the bins in C, it still works out.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Last week I just noticed the first time the boarding sequence is now GS-F-1K-C on the red carpet. This was an international flight to Asia. There were actually personnel there walk through the line to enforce it by demanding to see the BP.

On the PS flight, my last outbound trip from SFO I noticed the FA announced on the PA system half way of the boarding to tell the Y passengers to use the C overhead bin whenever they saw something available. I boarded late and was standing at the door when the announcement came. I got the last overhead space above my seat (row 9) after the FA re-arrange the blanket/pillows.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 2:39 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Often1
The sole advantage to boarding early is overhead space.
Ever stand in a jetway at ORD in January? Or in PHX in August?

For me, more than the overhead space is to have my b/p scanned, walk straight on the plane and sit down in one continuous motion. Earlier in this thread I mentioned my 3-class F experience on a ORD-SFO flight...It was probably a good 10 minutes by the time I made it to my seat from the time they first announced "...Now boarding, F, C, 1K GS...", being maybe #40 or #50 to board.

To me, where early boarding is MOST needed, is ORD when flying out of F1 or F14 (or another non-jetway Express flight)...When they do board 1K/GS first, I'm only outside as long as it takes me to walk (very fast) to the plane. When they do the free-for-all boarding, not so much.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 9:39 am

Programs: UA MP 1K
We had two separate elite lines at PEK on Thursday. Both were rather long, so the two lines made boarding easier. I didn't realize this--IAD only has one line, so I got on the C line and then switched, but only after the GS/1K/F line had gotten a bit longer!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.