Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Missed my UA Flight - What Are the Possible Stand-By/Rebooking Fees?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2011, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC

On Monday I was ticketed from ORD-DEN-SAN at 6:00 AM. Due to some uncontrollable circumstances I was late getting to the airport and arrived at 5:45 AM. Obviously I was unable to check in and could not make my scheduled flight. The ticket agent put be on standby for a later direct flight (ORD-SAN). My standby cleared and I was charged the $50.00 fee. Shouldn't this fee have been waived per the proverbial 'flat tire rule'? Is there anything I can say or any rules I can reference while I attempt to get this fee refunded?

LRME

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 10, 2011 at 11:23 am Reason: re-titled thread for clarity
Old Feb 9, 2011, 9:50 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
The "flat tire" rule really just prevents you from losing the value of a non-refundable ticket. The terms of the ticket say that if you miss your flight without cancelling the entire ticket has no value. So by having the flat tire rule they offer you a grace period.. they don't make you buy a new ticket however you have to pay the standby fee.

They were correct in interpeting the rules..however I'm sure it gets waived a lot in these circumstances..your agent was a stickler. Generally speaking I think it's BS for UA to charge elites for stand bys and I really hope that gets changed with the merger. In this case the CO way is better.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Stanby costs money now. You are charged, as you should have been.

Who's fault was missing the flight? If it was UA's, then you're right, they should not have charged you. But you clearly state this was not their fault.

Just curious, what were the uncontrollable circumstances?
Old Feb 9, 2011, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
emcampbe, you're totally right, rules are rules. I'm not asking for them to bend or break them for me...I just wasn't sure the provisions surrounding the 'flat-tire' rule. I suppose this evens out though, as I just flew standby two weeks ago and the GA didn't charge me. I'm hoping to pop my 1K cherry by September (all via domestic EQMs) so this shouldn't be a huge problem in the future.

My "uncontrollable circumstances" stemmed from an alarm clock malfunction
Old Feb 9, 2011, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by LRMErnst
emcampbe, you're totally right, rules are rules. I'm not asking for them to bend or break them for me...I just wasn't sure the provisions surrounding the 'flat-tire' rule. I suppose this evens out though, as I just flew standby two weeks ago and the GA didn't charge me. I'm hoping to pop my 1K cherry by September (all via domestic EQMs) so this shouldn't be a huge problem in the future.

My "uncontrollable circumstances" stemmed from an alarm clock malfunction

I believe they used to have a flat tire rule, but no longer do. I believe it went away when they eliminated no-cost standby, as it pretty much is the same thing.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by LRMErnst
...Shouldn't this fee have been waived per the proverbial 'flat tire rule'?...
You just got yourself an by-the-book agent. Usually, you meet the right person, they will not charge you.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:04 am

Programs: AAdvantage; Hilton Honors
UA Question

I arrived at the airport late last Thursday for my flight. So I asked the ticket counter to put me on the next available flight for Dallas. She informed me that the next direct flight there would be Saturday. But if I went through Denver she could re-route me for $175.00 bucks.

This is something I'm not familiar with. Her reasoning was that since it wasn't a direct flight there had to be a fee. I thought the airline as a courtesy would get you to your destination if they could the same day. They also said if I waited until Saturday there would also be a $175 fee; because it wasn't the same day.

I was wondering if there is a way to get credit towards another flight purchase?

These tickets were purchased from Priceline. Did the UA rep inform me correctly or am I just simply out of luck?

~Dev

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 10, 2011 at 11:26 am Reason: moved into existing thread. p.s. - please use more descriptive thread titles
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I don't see anywhere in your post where you say if you even had a ticket and what/when it was for.

Originally Posted by getdev
I thought the airline as a courtesy would get you to your destination if they could the same day.
Airlines don't do anything as a courtesy. It's all about the cash. Standby and same-day changes are only free for 1Ks. Everyone has to pay to changing the date.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:31 am

Programs: UA-1K/Life UC, AA-EXP, AF-Plat
If you missed for your confirmed flight, minimum fee is $50, anyway.
(GS/1K, companions and some fares exempted)

Just to clarify first, which route did you try to take? LAX-DFW?
Since she told you that there was no direct flight on Friday.

Unclear point is she meant first direct flght or first direct flight with available space to confirm.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:34 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
They will get you to where you are going if they can on the same day, it just won't be for free.

If you purchased through the name your own section of priceline, they probably won't do anything for free for you.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:35 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Call up your travel agent (priceline) and ask them what the rules on your ticket say for a reissue/exchange. That figure does not seem out of the realm, plus any change of fare. (150 plus fare difference on most domestic.)
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:57 am

Programs: UA-1K/Life UC, AA-EXP, AF-Plat
Same, NO chance for refund.
For tickets issued on or after 4/10/2010, all domestic standbys are charged $50 fee (some passengers/fares exempted). Same-day standby was absolutely free before that, so there was no flat-tire waiver in the past and current.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.