Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

fly 861 IAD-GRU. How often is it the new cabin?

Old Feb 7, 11, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold after slowing down; former UA GS/1K

I am trying to decide whether to hold out for business in the old cabin from ORD-GRU, or connect via IAD, as I have heard they are running the new cabin on that route sometimes. Anyone have a feel for how often?
Old Feb 7, 11, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by eratosthaenes View Post

I am trying to decide whether to hold out for business in the old cabin from ORD-GRU, or connect via IAD, as I have heard they are running the new cabin on that route sometimes. Anyone have a feel for how often?
You never know if the new type cabin will be used for a flight until shortly before the aircraft departs. Rarely do you know days in advance.

If the new configuration is used, some passengers get downgraded to other classes of service because with the new configuration, there are fewer seats that have the new style.

To hold out for business "on a maybe" could and most likely will, prove unproductive.
-
Old Feb 7, 11, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold after slowing down; former UA GS/1K
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd View Post
You never know if the new type cabin will be used for a flight until shortly before the aircraft departs. Rarely do you know days in advance.

If the new configuration is used, some passengers get downgraded to other classes of service because with the new configuration, there are fewer seats that have the new style.

To hold out for business "on a maybe" could and most likely will, prove unproductive.
-
You make good points, but I would still like to know if anyone has an idea as to frequency of the new cabin on that route, as I have heard it has been showing up. I can tell anyone who cares that the frequency of this on the ORD-GRU route is zero (based on my own and colleagues' experiences - we fly down there weekly - and talking with the crew).
Old Feb 7, 11, 10:15 am

Programs: UA *G, AA EXP
You make good points, but I would still like to know if anyone has an idea as to frequency of the new cabin on that route, as I have heard it has been showing up. I can tell anyone who cares that the frequency of this on the ORD-GRU route is zero (based on my own and colleagues' experiences - we fly down there weekly - and talking with the crew).
At the present time the new config 777 is a very rare visitor to ORD and so the likelihood of it showing up on any flights out of ORD is very low (though not zero). All of the new config 777s are regular visitors to IAD and so the chance of IAD-GRU being one is much greater.

But that is true this month, not next month and even for this month no-one can really tell you the probability of IAD-GRU.

The best you can do is use flightaware for all the plane numbers and count how many IAD-GRU flights there have been in the last week - that will give you the probability for the last week.
Old Feb 7, 11, 7:16 pm

Programs: UAL SPG Hyatt
I think "zero" may no longer be. There is an aircraft change in the works for 843 today ORD-GRU. I have a feeling it may be to the new config. Keeping fingers crossed.
Old Feb 7, 11, 9:22 pm

Programs: United Global Services and 1MM; Avis First; Hertz President's Circle; Marriott Platinum Elite
I have taken this route twice in the past month. IAD - GRU was new config both flights and on the GRU - IAD it was 50/50. In all cases, the seat config available on .bomb and through the GS desk was the old international 777 config. However, within a few days of the flight the GS agents did tell me (when I called them) that they expected an equipment change to a new config - except for the one return which ended up being the old 777. This isn't much data for you to make a decision, but it's at least a couple of recent experiences.
Old Feb 7, 11, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by SeattleDavid View Post

-
At the present time the new config 777 is a very rare visitor to ORD and so the likelihood of it showing up on any flights out of ORD is very low (though not zero). All of the new config 777s are regular visitors to IAD and so the chance of IAD-GRU being one is much greater.

But that is true this month, not next month and even for this month no-one can really tell you the probability of IAD-GRU.

The best you can do is use flightaware for all the plane numbers and count how many IAD-GRU flights there have been in the last week - that will give you the probability for the last week.-
Does anyone have any idea what this means, particularly the last paragraph?
Thanks.
-
Old Feb 7, 11, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA 1P and miles scattered around a few other programs
On flightaware.com you can see all the history of each plane that has been converted. Like this:

N226UA
N782UA
N783UA
N784UA
N785UA
N787UA
N788UA
N794UA
N797UA

Search this Thread
Search Engine: