Search

AC or UA SFO-YYZ in A319/320 F?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2011, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
AC or UA SFO-YYZ in A319/320 F?

I have a couple of SFO-YYZ trips in few months.
Looking at the schedule, AC and UA codeshare and both operate either A319 or A320 aircrafts on this route.

I have never flown this route, and acutally have never flown AC before. Which one would those flyers who have flown both AC and UA transcon in A319/A320 aircrafts?

AC also credits fare based EQMs and elite-based RDMs for M+ members. The only difference is GS qualifying FFM. However, I should have more than enough to qualify for GS in 2012, and am looking for better F experience.

One other factor to consider is that I am connecting from PEK-SFO on UA, therefore I am also looking for better seat comfort after such a long flight.

Thanks in advance for your views.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 12:11 am

I would say that the AC has great, recently renovated interiors across most of its fleet with AVOD IFE options that served as the edge for me.

However, only flew transcon once (like your scenario I was connecting from a TPac) and was sound asleep the entire flight so couldn't comment on the service. Seats were not noticeably different. Most of my YYZ flights were short runs to the Northeast and thus no meal service either.

Airport experience at YYZ is barely discernible between the two.

Oh and if you plan on making multiple trips to YYZ should definitely apply to NEXUS. If you're not GE that will come free (and instantly) with NEXUS as well.

Preclearance line >>>> security line at YYZ

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 5, 2011 at 12:17 am Reason: merge
Old Feb 5, 2011, 12:16 am

AC has AVOD and in-seat power, but the seats are cloth (I prefer UA's leather). Seat pitch is a toss-up for me. AC's bulkheads on the 319/320 have cutouts for a bit of added space on already generous legroom, but the 321s (rare at SFO) do not.

AC's meals are generally better, IMHO.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 12:42 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Just spoke with a co-worker who flew SFO-Toronto on AC.

He was back-of-the-bus, in an Airbus (319 or 320, he wasn't sure), but he enjoyed it. Had IFE in seat back, along with 110 V power + USB power. Drinks and food were served in coach.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 12:44 am

Programs: UA 2MM
AC does offer a direct PEK-YYZ service.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
AC does offer a direct PEK-YYZ service.
Tough choice between direct flight versus additional RDM/EQM......
Old Feb 5, 2011, 8:30 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
AC, no question.

Bulkhead seats have a ton of legroom (particularly on the left side of the 319 and one of the 320's but even the other 320 is great)--much more room than bulkhead on UA. There's even a cutout so you don't have to put everything in the overhead.

Food and wine choices are superior in quality and quantity.

AVOD--'nough said!

The only place where UA shines is that I find the FAs more present in the cabin after meal service, checking in more often, Y FAs picking up service items as they come forward, etc. AC FAs disappear more after the better meal service not to be seen as often.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
The AC AVOD of course beats UA's video entertainment. Seat pitch will be different in Y. AC offers 31" in Y, with some rows offering slightly more. The UA aircraft, of course, will be configured wih economy plus, and if you're already a GS, I would suspect you'd have a pretty good chance at a UDU on that route. Very small chance, if any, of getting an upgrade on AC, unless of course, you are willing to pay for it.

If you're looking at going to YYZ from PEK without needing a stopover, as mentioned above, you may want to consider the AC nonstop flight. I'm not sure if it still runs every day, but definitely will run a few days a week.

If you are needing the stopover in SFO, the other consideration may be timing of the flights. AC offers 3 or 4 flights daily, while UA only has the 1 nonstop, which currently leaves at around 1pm and arrives around 9pm. But that is a change, it definitely used to be a mid-late morning flight, arriving in the early evening.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1P and miles scattered around a few other programs
EnvoyBoy knows what he's talking about. +1
Old Feb 5, 2011, 2:43 pm

Programs: Airlines: UA-CO, NH, AA, and DL Hotels: SPG, Accor, PC, and Marriott
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I have a couple of SFO-YYZ trips in few months.
Looking at the schedule, AC and UA codeshare and both operate either A319 or A320 aircrafts on this route.

I have never flown this route, and acutally have never flown AC before. Which one would those flyers who have flown both AC and UA transcon in A319/A320 aircrafts?

AC also credits fare based EQMs and elite-based RDMs for M+ members. The only difference is GS qualifying FFM. However, I should have more than enough to qualify for GS in 2012, and am looking for better F experience.

One other factor to consider is that I am connecting from PEK-SFO on UA, therefore I am also looking for better seat comfort after such a long flight.

Thanks in advance for your views.
As the theme is, AC without a doubt. AC 756 and 738 are both A319's or A320s and the most likely flights you'd be on.

Unlike most cloth F seats, I find AC's has some plush to it. As continually stated, both superior food, wine selection with Menus, in addition to ACOD and powerports that don't require empower.

If you do 738 M-Thurs and 756 M-F, a 319 is on the schedule and some 319's on trans-boarder services have wi-fi.

Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
AC, no question.

Bulkhead seats have a ton of legroom (particularly on the left side of the 319 and one of the 320's but even the other 320 is great)--much more room than bulkhead on UA. There's even a cutout so you don't have to put everything in the overhead.

AVOD--'nough said!

The only place where UA shines is that I find the FAs more present in the cabin after meal service, checking in more often, Y FAs picking up service items as they come forward, etc. AC FAs disappear more after the better meal service not to be seen as often.
Well said as well Envoy Boy!

As far as FA's, I haven't found this to be the case and I've had comparable service to UA by AC FA's. Then again it's probably crew dependent.

Originally Posted by emcampbe
If you're looking at going to YYZ from PEK without needing a stopover, as mentioned above, you may want to consider the AC nonstop flight. I'm not sure if it still runs every day, but definitely will run a few days a week.
AC 32 from PEK-YYZ run every day, an it is a 77W. I find AC C is comparable and sometimes better than UA Int'l C.

In addition, AC 777's have a decent mini-bar and snacks setup for C pax.

IMHO I would take AC, but I'm not in a position to re qualify for GS, so you'll have to play that into account as well.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 5, 2011 at 6:21 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 5, 2011, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Sorry but I will pick UA instead.

At least if something happens, I know I will get a Type A.

Also, you can use CR-1 instead of buying F.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 10:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
AC, no question.

AVOD--'nough said!

Originally Posted by GRU the wanderer
EnvoyBoy knows what he's talking about. +1
+1 again. This all rings true to me. ^ I loved the A320 bulkhead with the cutouts. The padded cloth seats are pretty nice, too (same even goes for Y). My YYZ-SFO salmon dinner last month was nicer than what I would have gotten on UA. My only nitpicks with AC catering are the universal glasses, the lack of Bloody Mary mix, and the cold nuts!

I also like that AC sells extra J entrees in Y.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, 1M, HH Diamond
What's GE?

Originally Posted by GTHCGTH
I would say that the AC has great, recently renovated interiors across most of its fleet with AVOD IFE options that served as the edge for me.

Oh and if you plan on making multiple trips to YYZ should definitely apply to NEXUS. If you're not GE that will come free (and instantly) with NEXUS as well.

Preclearance line >>>> security line at YYZ
My Nexus appointment is next week.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 11:15 pm

AC. They have lot more frequency and the timing is lot more better than UA. Unless you care more on bonus miles or upgrade (if you are 1P or above), then AC is a definite choice.

UA's flight is flooded with people connecting to Asia, so the chance to get upgrade is pretty high.

P.S. AC and UA always charge around the same price on this route
Old Feb 7, 2011, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. It looks like AC receives the most favorable vote. I will be in paid F, so upgrade is not an issue.

Now the question is whether I should try the AC 777 Business cabin on the direct PEK-YYZ flight versus UA's lie-flat seat in the 747 from PEK-SFO.....

Perhaps I should give AC 777 a try on the return trip to experience the difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.