Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

GRU RCC has the worst club facilities on the planet

Old Sep 18, 2009, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium

The same stuff that was broken and worn out 5 years ago is still today. Half of the ceiling tiles are brown from water stains, the wallpaper in the men's room has pretty much pealed off and is just hanging down all over. The carpets look like they haven't been cleaned in, well, forever. The non-free wireless, from VEX, has marginal signal, at best, from any spot in the club. Oh, and the toilets are routinely clogged and unusable. Very nice, for a supposed United Arrivals RCC.

Has anyone heard if they're going to close this dump down? Now that UA isn't having the non-stops to Rio this season, I'm stuck going down through Sampa - with multiple security checks just to go into the terminal and back onto the plane after a 2-3 hour wait. Since I'm down 4-6 times a year, I'm really hoping they just bunk up with TAM - which has really nice lounges - after TAM goes Star Alliance.

The same goes for the former Varig lounge in Rio, although it's far nicer than the RCC in Sampa. They still put out the full spread of food for breakfast and quasi-dinner at Sampa, but at this point, I feel the need for a tetanus shot before going into the RCC there.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 10:40 pm

Programs: RVT 1K
Originally Posted by catocony
but at this point, I feel the need for a tetanus shot before going into the RCC there.

Old Sep 18, 2009, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA MM, QF Plat, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Oh Drama, Drama, Drama. Will someone please delete this thread. Good description, but who cares. Try going to a domestic RCC with no booze. Now that's the worst RCC in the system.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 12:26 am

Programs: AA EXP; AC 75k; UA Gold; Bonvoy Ambassador; Hertz Presidents Circle; Hilton Diamond
You might want to think about Priority Pass

If you are in GRU and/or GIG several times a year, it may be worth it to you (not to mention access to 600+ lounges worldwide).

In GIG you have access to TAM VIP Lounge - and in GRU (in addition to RCC) you get TAM and AA access. Also - priority pass cares not what airline you are flying.....

I am *G but have a membership as a back-up and it has come in VERY handy on occassion, very worth it IMHO.

check out prioritypass.com

Grunion
Old Sep 19, 2009, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
We will spend many hours in the (United partner) TAM lounge at GRU next week .. how is that compared to the RCC/Varig?

Glen
Old Sep 19, 2009, 5:30 am

Just to note that other postings are actually complimentary of the GRU RCC (example). I personally haven't been there in about 4 years, but on that visit I went to both the AC & RCC, and do remember finding the RCC substantially better.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 6:03 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
I agree about the stop into GRU being a pain since they don't have the iad-gig direct. Moreover the equpment went from 767 new config to 777 which obviously doesn't have the lie flats.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by catocony
The same stuff that was broken and worn out 5 years ago is still today. Half of the ceiling tiles are brown from water stains, the wallpaper in the men's room has pretty much pealed off and is just hanging down all over. The carpets look like they haven't been cleaned in, well, forever. The non-free wireless, from VEX, has marginal signal, at best, from any spot in the club. Oh, and the toilets are routinely clogged and unusable. Very nice, for a supposed United Arrivals RCC.

Has anyone heard if they're going to close this dump down? Now that UA isn't having the non-stops to Rio this season, I'm stuck going down through Sampa - with multiple security checks just to go into the terminal and back onto the plane after a 2-3 hour wait. Since I'm down 4-6 times a year, I'm really hoping they just bunk up with TAM - which has really nice lounges - after TAM goes Star Alliance.

The same goes for the former Varig lounge in Rio, although it's far nicer than the RCC in Sampa. They still put out the full spread of food for breakfast and quasi-dinner at Sampa, but at this point, I feel the need for a tetanus shot before going into the RCC there.

I think you are too harsh in your assessment of the RCC in Sao Paulo.

Admittedly, the carpets could use a cleaning but I think the other defects you mentioned are exagerated.

If one compares the GRU RCC to the interior of some of United´s airplanes there is not much difference in shabbiness. However, the planes and the RCC are not as bad as you describe.

Moreover, the fact that you must go through security to continue your flight to Rio is necessary even if you do not use the RCC. All connecting flight passengers go through the same security check although they just arrived from another flight and did not leave a secured area. Use of the Sao Paulo RCC has nothing to do with the silly requirement.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 7:40 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Oh the drama!

Seriously, OP you must never have been in a IAD RCC. The GRU is not that bad. I'm in BR 6-8 times a year and always use the RCC in GRU. 2 weeks ago the toilets were fine. Yes, they have a problem with the ceiling tiles whenever it rains. Yes, the carpets and chairs could use a refresh. But, the attendants are extremely attentive and will bring your food/drink to you and come around and refresh your bev if its low. Free booze and a decent spread of food and awesome. soups during winter. Its really not that bad.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by NH_Clark

Seriously, OP you must never have been in a IAD RCC.
All the IAD clubs are like the Waldorf Astoria compared to the ORD and LAX clubs that both should have been nuked 6 years ago.

That smaller IAD club of the 3 is totally recently fitted out. Great club.

HNL is great.

I never understand why IAD get such a bad rap when Smithsonian candidates like LAX exist.

GRU gets a flight or so a day -- LAX and ORD are mega heavily used, and are both disgraces.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1KMMGS, EK Skywards Silver, SPG Gold,
Though it's been about two years since i last transited it, GRU is not so bad - the food is better than many RCC's, it's fairly quiet and they have usable shower facilities. The one thing that always amazed me is that they barely ever had so much as a magazine in English to read (let alone something like an IHT) - all Portuguese.

Maybe TAM is nicer, but through various reasons I've been in a couple of the clubs around that part of GRU (up the dank and dark elevator) and they are all pretty much the same
Old Sep 19, 2009, 9:48 am

Programs: nobody
Sounds just like LAX.

Originally Posted by ozstamps
All the IAD clubs are like the Waldorf Astoria compared to the ORD and LAX clubs that both should have been nuked 6 years ago.
Come on, ORD B18 RCC wasn't that bad. I have to say the other 2 B6 and C16 might need furniture updates. The one in F sadly, I have no idea what can be done to improve the situation.

Last edited by mobilebucky; Sep 19, 2009 at 9:53 am
Old Sep 19, 2009, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond
BIG DRAMA!!!

GRU is my home airport.

a) RCC there is better than IAD and ORD. Specially regarding food. At GRU I can sit down turn my laptop and have a waiter serve food and wine. The Cappuccino machine works and its open from 7am until about 11pm, so it can also be used when flying with SWISS or LH on the afternoon flights

b) Have you ever tried the VARIG lounge that LH and LX use in GRU? RCC is much quieter with better food. Every time I have to fly LH or LX I go to the RCC.

c) I've been there 4 times only this month. Unitedwas supposed to close for renovation since January this year. However INFRAERO who is responsible for the airport did not give the permits for that yet.

d) I would prefer GRU RCC over nay RCC on the US.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 10:49 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (1MM), AS MVP
I have yet to experience any TAM lounges, but I was pretty impressed with the GRU RCC earlier this month. I like it much better than the Varig lounge in GIG. One could actually make a meal out of the food, and for those that qualify, the shower suites on arrival were awesome. I didn't even notice the ceiling tiles. The wifi however was bothersome -- Mr. GLR was trying to get some work done and never could get connected (not having billing instructions in English didn't help). I think I connected via Boingo.

As far as the suggestion to just close it - in favor of what? Until we have access to the TAM lounges (if they are really all that much better), I'd rather have this lounge than nothing. And I speak as someone who will be spending a good 3 hours there each direction this coming holiday season.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
Originally Posted by mgs 1k
I would prefer GRU RCC over nay RCC on the US.
+1

Originally Posted by NH_Clark
Seriously, OP you must never have been in a IAD RCC. The GRU is not that bad. I'm in BR 6-8 times a year and always use the RCC in GRU. 2 weeks ago the toilets were fine. Yes, they have a problem with the ceiling tiles whenever it rains. Yes, the carpets and chairs could use a refresh. But, the attendants are extremely attentive and will bring your food/drink to you and come around and refresh your bev if its low. Free booze and a decent spread of food and awesome. soups during winter. Its really not that bad.
+1
I'm there every month, continuing on to GIG and it is something I look forward to. I actually pass up the breakfast snack on the IAD-GRU flight and have breakfast at the RCC. Also, I asked last month about WiFi access and was told that sometime next year free access would be available. Perhaps part of the renovation mgs 1k mentioned was to take place at some point.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.